No announcement yet.

Best kind of intro game to the Sabbat?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best kind of intro game to the Sabbat?

I've got a group of players that I'm potentially starting on a Sabbat game. They'll be new to the Sect, but not to VtM as a whole. I'm currently in the process of building a setting, but I'm not sure how to pitch it to this sort of player. I don't want the PCs to start out as True Sabbat, because they don't know enough about sect specifics (and several don't have the time to do the reading to catch up before the game), but is there another way to do this without making them simple shovelheads, and thereby having a siege narrative?

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-Through of Ex3 - my thoughts, notes and trials and tribulations with the Exalted 3rd edition rules.
    Ex3 Reference Materials - currently includes an ST screen, common actions sheet, weapons reference sheet, character creation summary and mortal QCs reference sheet.

Not all Sabbat are shovelheads, some of them are embraced by vampires who actually want childers and are ready to educated them. So perhaps you can start with the characters being embraced by a Pack, with "nice" sires ready to educate them into the Sect and the culture of their own clans.

Comment

I've seen a group play where the PCs were essentially abandoned at the Embrace and left to figure things out for themselves - first Frenzy, first Kiss, first discipline uses and so on. Their Sires left them bits and pieces of hints to help them on a scavenger hunt to find them. Of course, that can be made as ugly as you want it to be, from a hint hidden by a Nosferatu in a gang boss's chest to a hint hidden by a Tzimisce in a gang boss's chest.

Comment

Originally posted by Kalendeer View Post
        Not all Sabbat are shovelheads, some of them are embraced by vampires who actually want childers and are ready to educated them. So perhaps you can start with the characters being embraced by a Pack, with "nice" sires ready to educate them into the Sect and the culture of their own clans.
        I would get that if it were one or two, but the trick I'm trying to work is why five Cainites without their creation rites are in one pack at the same time. The number itself stretches the credibility of that sort of thing, to my mind.

Either that, or I need to contrive a way to get multiple packs to come together for a common cause that'll last more than a few months. Doable I guess, but a little weird.

A Not-Quite-Newb's Read-Through of Ex3 - my thoughts, notes and trials and tribulations with the Exalted 3rd edition rules.
        Ex3 Reference Materials - currently includes an ST screen, common actions sheet, weapons reference sheet, character creation summary and mortal QCs reference sheet.

Comment

Some ideas:
          - Packs can actually be big. Perhaps this was a pack a 4 who decided to each embrace a kid, except the Ductus wanted two. Who know why they want to double their numbers, but they do, and since they are True Sabbat there's no way they will give creation rites until they know they chose the right ones.

- Perhaps there are five packs in the city and they decided to create a new one out of scratch, and see where they get with some guidance from the enlightened ones, so each pack create a childer for the new team. Some of them may lose interest in the babies pretty quickly, but perhaps some of them will remain interested. Perhaps there actually placed bet and they are all secretly hoping their kid gets the upper hand and becomes ductus.

- All of them were sired by two dudes who wanted to be Ductus and Priest but lacked a pack.

Comment

Just riffing here, but, I have a few ideas:
            • Maybe a pack has an ignoblis ritae in which every True Sabbat embraces a recruit each year, and at the end of the year only half of them are allowed to survive, and rewarded by being made True Sabbat. This Darwinian competition has kept the pack strong and growing for decades.
            • Maybe a pack has taken heavy losses in a crusade, leaving them with only a few members, all of one clan. They want to diversify their skillset, so they ask other local packs to each donate a recruit or two from their clans. The "donor" packs keep the recruits for a week or two of basic training, them turn them over to the recipient pack.
            • Maybe a Prisci with a scientific turn of mind wants to study a variety of clans, and arranges for test subjects to be embraced. Being the Sabbat, you would expect horrific tortures, and there are. The PCs were lucky enough to be the control group.
            • Maybe the pcs were experienced True Sabbat, and a well-respected pack in their own right. After an encounter with... something they can't identify... they have all lost their memories, including knowledge of how the Sabbat works. They've managed to piece together some basics, but the rest is foggy. (This allows for the players who want to to read up on the Sabbat, or not, as they wish.) They are afraid to tell anyone who might be able to help, since they might be suspected of also being turned into Manchurian Candidates for the thing that attacked them. Which might explain why it didn't kill them outright...
            • Maybe they were a coterie of vampires from another sect, or just a group of Autarkis who had never met before. When the Sabbat came to town, they listened to their sales pitch and agreed with the sect. The pcs managed to gain basic acceptance in the sect, but are kept in one pack. This way a True Sabbat or two can supervise them.
            • Maybe the pcs were all individually important to the same person. Let's call him Bob. Bob was always kind of a buffoon, but was embraced as a shovelhead. He went on to (accidental) glory. Now, Bob has used his pull to embrace his buddy from high school, his mom, his ex-girlfriend, his friend at work, some girl he liked, the only person he knew who could sort of fight, etc. Now, Bob has formed a pack of his own, and truly believes he is the greatest of the True Sabbat. His acquaintances from life might disagree, as they knew him when he was just a loser.
            • Maybe a group of Prisci got into a friendly debate over the relative merits of different qualities human recruits bring to the Sabbat. Is it better to be smart or emotionally stable? Is it better to be confident or cautious? They have embraced a large group of people, each of whom exemplify such an attribute, to settle a bet. They will largely be left to their own devices, and observed.
            • Maybe the Sabbat have recently acquired a city and need recruits with specific skills to populate the place. Most recruits who survived the siege, of course, had a military or violent concept to win the war. What the sect needs now is administrators, salespeople, and defenders to win the peace.

Comment

That's all a good lot if good for thought. I'll pitch some ideas to the players. Thanks, all.
              Last edited by Xerxes; 10-23-2018, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X