Don’t mess with the noss

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don’t mess with the noss

So in summary I’m estatic when my players throw a curve ball like this one.

Per the main plot a horrible monster ousts the nossie from the warrens. The players strike a bargain for favors in exchange for getting rid of it. The primogen noss is explicit he doesn’t want his neonates and fledglings hurt by this monster.
    Unplanned curveball, one of the players earlier had gained an ally noss and decided to have them accompany them in the sewers. Short and sweet that ally died.
    Unbeknownst to the players that ally was be childer of said primogen. Soooooo....
    I roleplayed a scene where the primogen kidnaps that player, blaming him for his loss as an emotional response. Then I ended the session.

What should I have the primogen do?

Factors to consider: primogen likes not being in the spotlight. Primogen isn’t a “bad guy” per se. The player is a fledgling tremere of the clan whip. Tremere Player sincerely was saddened by the loss. Other player who finagled the deal is like “shit, I better get the regeant involved”.

Sounds like a very cool session.

I think an interesting idea might be requiring the Tremere to locate a new person to serve as a replacement Childe for them as repayment for what they did.

Comment

Maybe have the Tremere become his new Protege until he can help him find a new Child and have the Tremere agree to help train the Childe, not necessarily teach it Thaumatrugy... but yeah teach it thaumaturgy.

Orrr even have the child agree to secretly cobble together a Gargoyle to be adopted by the Nos made out of rivals, or possibly salvaged parts.

Or have the Nos be sad, maybe give it a history of losing even mortal children. So the Tremere has to agree to set the nos up with a high tech, magically enhanced computer room so the Nos can Twitch Stream and Skype it’s problems away.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

This sounds like an awesome plot. A few questions.

Originally posted by Pnizzle View Post
        So in summary I’m estatic when my players throw a curve ball like this one.

Per the main plot a horrible monster ousts the nossie from the warrens. The players strike a bargain for favors in exchange for getting rid of it. The primogen noss is explicit he doesn’t want his neonates and fledglings hurt by this monster.
        Was the primogen explicit that members of his own clan should not assist the pcs or even return to the warren for other reasons?

Unplanned curveball, one of the players earlier had gained an ally noss and decided to have them accompany them in the sewers.
        I assume this was done with the consent and free will of the Nosferatu ally, right? I mean, there was no coercion, no trickery? Is there a reason to think the ally lacked agency, such as being a brand new fledgling or mentally impaired? Bottom line: the decision of the ally to join the pc was their own choice?

Short and sweet that ally died.
        I assume the pc did everything they could do to prevent the death, right? It wasn't like they were being pursued and the pc shot the Nos in the leg to sacrifice them or anything, right? I can see why the pc would feel guilty and remorseful for losing a friend, but assuming the friend was there willingly, it was an informed risk the ally chose to accept. Sad, yes, but I'm not convinced of negligence on the part of the pc.

Unbeknownst to the players that ally was be childer of said primogen. Soooooo....
        I roleplayed a scene where the primogen kidnaps that player, blaming him for his loss as an emotional response. Then I ended the session.

What should I have the primogen do?
        Start with this. This is the time for bloody tears and, possibly, a grief-fueled frenzy. Consider a derangement. Be careful not to make it a very-special-episode, and then return to the status quo next session. This primogen has been through a lot lately. If you treat the character with empathy, respect and accuracy this could be an amazing role-playing opportunity. Of course, balance that with not over-shaadowing the pcs... they are the stars of the show, after all.

Factors to consider: primogen likes not being in the spotlight. Primogen isn’t a “bad guy” per se. The player is a fledgling tremere of the clan whip. Tremere Player sincerely was saddened by the loss. Other player who finagled the deal is like “shit, I better get the regeant involved”.
        Possible stories arising from this incident:

Is the Tremere regent a "bad guy"? How would the players handle it if one night the Nosferatu primogen was deeply grieved at the loss, and the next night seems to have no recollection of the childe or the loss at all... as if the memories of it were wiped with Dominate?

What if the childe wasn't destroyed? They faked their destruction, and were working with the "monster" all along. Or, were themselves the monster. A Nicktuku using high-level Obfuscate could certainly fool a warren.

What if the primogen and the rest of the clan simply vanish? The Primogen has a habit of avoiding the spotlight, so maybe he just needs some me-time. Maybe, they were destroyed by the monster. Or, maybe, fled the city altogether?

The obvious outcome of the kidnapping is anger and violence. What if it isn't? What if the primogen transfers his feelings for the childe to the pc, and forces the pc to fulfill that role? Make it clear that the Primogen is a broken person, and could become dangerous if forced to face the loss of another loved one.

Or, what if the Primogen presses for massive prestation payments as weregild for the childe? Then, after agreeing to it, the pcs discover the Primogen intentionally set the childe up to enter many dangerous situations because he wanted rid of him? He figured he'd rid himself of a worthless childe, and, luckily, got some debt-wealth in the process. With no evidence, what could the pcs possibly do about it, except pay the debt?

What if evidence arises that the death was a set-up by the Tremere whip to destroy his own childe, the pc? The plan went side-ways and destroyed the Nos instead.

Comment

The primogen noss is explicit he doesn’t want his neonates and fledglings hurt by this monster.
          Unplanned curveball, one of the players earlier had gained an ally noss and decided to have them accompany them in the sewers. Short and sweet that ally died.
          1st factor, was that Ally a "Neonate or Fledgeling" if no, the characters have followed directions.
          2nd factor, what insight did the characters have into the risk of violence or death when they called in the Ally, and did the ally know. Did they volunteer knowing the issues and wanting to help (Or can the players convince the Nos that was the situation)

Because I like to keep the players with Agency as much as possible, I would have the Nosferatu unmask the Tremere, possibly with the rest of the Nos around, and (After a short monologue) ask what the Tremere is going to do to pay back the Nosferatu clan now that his child has been destroyed. Maybe the Tremere is stupid enough to teach some Thaumaturgy, maybe they explicitly offer a boon, offer to take care of this monster issue without the previous payment. If you let the Player dig their own hole, you will probably get more out of it in a roleplay sense, and as payment to the Nosferatu. If they offer too little, have the Primogen get offended that the life of one of their clan is worth so little to the PC.

Comment

The dead nossie was a neonate. She was coerced by the player easily even though it was made aware it was dangerous. Being lonely and resentful of her curse she latched on to the first kindred to give her the time of day so genuinely. It would have made for an interesting romantic subplot. Alas loss is scene which plays out.
            The nossie primogen told the other nossie pc that being in the warrens was dangerous and to leave the party at the first sign of trouble. The nossie pc involved too was meant to guide the party in the warrens per the thought process of the primogen. So that’s the guidance. The primogen was clear he didn’t want his clanmen in danger.
            During the fight the players guarded each other but not the npc ally. So the monster targeted the weakest link first and impaled it’s heart with a probiscus tongue. Obvious instant death. The tremere pc has high enough auspex to beat any neonates obfuscate. So couldn’t avoid that.

Comment

Any idea for the monster? If not you could say it ate the Nos’s Soul, so maybe they can release its spirit as an act of contrition, just make it obvious that the soul is trapped.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Working...
              X