Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gift of Morpheus Path - Where can I put it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gift of Morpheus Path - Where can I put it?

Hello all! I have a question about Blood Magic. Specifically, the Gift of Morpheus path.

In the VtM game I'm currently running, there happens to be an unlikely, though story appropriate, breadth of Blood Sorcery schools/styles floating around. So far, that's been really fun, and has pushed the story forward nicely.

My problem is simple: I really like Gift of Morpheus as a path, but it hasn't seen an update since Players Guide to the Sabbat. I'd hoped we'd get a V20 update, but I guess you can't have everything. Since that book, though, the cultural fluff around Blood Magic has become more specific and flavorful. Dur-An-Ki and Sadhana, for instance, feel a lot different than Tremere Thaumaturgy.

I happen to think that's a very good thing. I just have no idea which style/school would be appropriate to pull Gift of Morpheus forward into, seeing as it's now just Sabbat Thaumaturgy, which is almost a defunct concept. Dur-An-Ki? Neoplatonism might fit the Morpheus angle. Wanga maybe? Could you see it as the Koldunic Way of Dreams, akin to the Way of Sorrow? I'm not sure, but I'd love some feedback.

I'm grateful for any ideas, questions and/or suggestions! Any response is a good response.

Thanks!
    Last edited by AzraelFirestorm; 10-25-2018, 12:47 PM.

“Nobody is purely good or purely evil. Most of us are in-between. There are moths that explore the day and butterflies that play at night.”
    - Suzy Kassem, Rise Up and Salute The Sun
    (She/Her)

The Tremere stole back what they could from the Sabbat.. you also have Telyveric Tremere. Dreams are not a big part of RL Kolduns... but neither are any of the other Ways so take that as you will. I would considered adding it to Saduhana and the MesoAmerican one who's name escapes me right now but not Ahku proper. IF you are using Anarch waves I'd include it in Old Skool and New Age.

Comment

Let's look at your options:

Tremere Thaumaturgy: Always an option, though clearly not the one you want. The feel of Thaumaturgy lends itself to a more practiced, scientific feel than what Morpheus perhaps wants.

Teylavic Thaumaturgy: Wouldn't say it's a good fit. The Teylav concern themselves with the natural world, using it rather than bending it. And not at all with dreams.

Koldunic Sorcery: Maybe, but it is a stretch. Kolduns manipulate natural spirits with their magic. I could see them maybe extending their reach to dream-spirits, but probably not.

Dur'An'Ki: Now we're cooking. The Assamite Sorcerers subdue and make deals with spirits, and ascend their minds for greater power. Influencing states of consciousness is right in their wheelhouse.

Akhu: Maybe. Akhu deals in highly symbolic magic, representing their faith. You would need to reshape the fluff around the path to fit the Akhu, but then it could work wonders.

Sadhana: Similar to Akhu, but probably a more tenuous fit. It is a very ritualistic magic, more than the Gift of Morpheus can handle.

Abyss Mysticism: No.

Dark Thaumaturgy: Hell to the yes. Though I would mod the path to cause nightmares and other evil stuff, but that's just because I love me some demonic stuff. So consider me biased on this one.

Furthermore, I believe Carthage should be destroyed.

Comment

Standard Tremere Thaumaturgy or Dur'an'ki make the most sense to me. It is, essentially, a mind power (the path, that is). These would fit it more as the others seem more spiritual in nature.

Comment

Just to add, in the proper Tremere Thaumaturgy there's the Path of Oneiromancy, that actually deals with the same theme from another prospective...

Dark Shores: Lineages of the Great Lakes

Comment

You just Blew my mind with the Way of Dreams Koldunism! Maybe their is An Arcadia Kraina as a counterpart!

But I would have the Gift of Morpheus type of magic probably with Sadhana, Dur-an-ki, Wanga and Thaumaturgy. I think Akhu would not have it common/at all and it would be one of the Thing maybe The Tlcique knew in ages last but they need an Ancient to wake up and teach it. Maybe, then again I a much more liberal with my Blood Sorcery, I have localized groups with little cultivated secrets, like the Tremere do all the time.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by SalamanDer View Post
              Just to add, in the proper Tremere Thaumaturgy there's the Path of Oneiromancy, that actually deals with the same theme from another prospective...
              I'd thought of simply swapping for Oneiromancy, but the commonality between the two paths ends with the shared theme. Morpheus is much more aggressive, beginning with forcing sleep and moving up to killing someone by causing their death in a dream.* An aggressive path would be more appropriate for me, I think.

It seems like, so far, the Blood Magic schools most recommended are mechanically similar to standard Thaumaturgy, like Dur-An-Ki and Sadhana. That makes sense to me, and it gives me the confidence to move ahead with adding it to Dur-An-Ki, Old Skool/New Age Sorcery, Sadhana, Nahuallotl and possibly Wanga. It wouldn't be as common as Path of Blood and Lure of Flames is in most Blood Sorcery traditions, but it'd be attainable without a Herculean effort.

Thanks for the help!

Eldagusto I hadn't thought of doing a Kraina! Nice thinking. The way I'm seeing it, Arcadia would fit the model of Kraina (being a place, in its own way), whereas Dreams might fit with the Ways more, being more conceptual (dare I say "elemental"). Just my thoughts for right now. If you decide to work on that Kraina, let me know! I'd be happy to help or provide another pair of eyes. I've been wanting to put some Changeling peanut butter in my Vampire chocolate for a while.

*Shout out to Freddy Krueger!

“Nobody is purely good or purely evil. Most of us are in-between. There are moths that explore the day and butterflies that play at night.”
              (She/Her)

Comment

More questions!

Regarding the Music of the Spheres path of Dur-An-Ki, what beings would YOU allow it to have an effect on and what beings would you deem immune to the Path?

Secondly, what musical instrument(s) would you find easiest to use/most useful when employing the Music of the Spheres? One example I've seen is a flute. I'm curious about what others could come up with, and why they'd use that particular instrument.

Thanks!

- Az
                Last edited by AzraelFirestorm; 10-27-2018, 11:25 AM.

(She/Her)

Comment

Originally posted by AzraelFirestorm View Post
                  More questions!

Regarding the Music of the Spheres path of Dur-An-Ki, what beings would YOU allow it to have an effect on and what beings would you deem immune to the Path?

Secondly, what musical instrument(s) would you find easiest to use/most useful when employing the Music of the Spheres? One example I've seen is a flute. I'm curious about what others could come up with, and why they'd use that particular instrument.

Thanks!

- Az

Accordian. Not because its the most useful.. but because its the Accordian and worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by AzraelFirestorm View Post
                    I'd thought of simply swapping for Oneiromancy, but the commonality between the two paths ends with the shared theme. Morpheus is much more aggressive, beginning with forcing sleep and moving up to killing someone by causing their death in a dream.* An aggressive path would be more appropriate for me, I think.
                    Random thought, leveraging on the classic theme (Hypnos [the sleep] and Thanatos [the Death] were brothers) you could also recreate it as a minor path of Western Necromancy, maybe know only to few, like the Rossellini...

Comment

Originally posted by SalamanDer View Post

Random thought, leveraging on the classic theme (Hypnos [the sleep] and Thanatos [the Death] were brothers) you could also recreate it as a minor path of Western Necromancy, maybe know only to few, like the Rossellini...
                      That's... That really, really fits. It's essentially an antagonistic path, anyway, like Path of Haunting. Thanks! I'll try it out. This could really add some spooky fun to the mix.

The only question, now, is what Attribute+Ability to replace the Willpower roll with. I'll have to think about that one.
                      Last edited by AzraelFirestorm; 10-28-2018, 11:40 AM.

(She/Her)

Comment

Well, you can use the rule on "Rites of Blood" for Necromancy
                        or going into a Manipulation + Empathy (i.e. armonize yourself with the subject to subvert his/her self) for the subtler powers to a Manipulation + Expression (i.e. imprint the target with your will) for the more direct ones, if you feel like that :P

Comment

Working...
                        X