V20- questions about delaying actions and initiative

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V20- questions about delaying actions and initiative

So this is what it says in the book about delaying your actions.

"All of your character’s actions are staged at her rank in the order of initiative. There are three exceptions to this rule: The first is if your character delays her action, in which case her maneuvers happen when she finally takes action. Your character may act at any time after her designated order in the initiative, even to interrupt another, slower character’s action. If two characters both delay their actions, and both finally act at the same time, the one with the higher initiative rating for the turn acts first."

Thing i gotta wonder now is what happens when person x says they attack person y who is faster. Person Y declares they are going to attack person x and then celerity action attack again.

What happens if both delay their action until person Y's celerity action comes around? Does person Y get both their attacks before person X? Can they both hold their action till the end of the round? Do they both lose their actions or do they have to act at the end since the only way to abort an action all together is to abort to a defensive action and that requires you either spend willpower or make a willpower roll?

I read this as the way the system is set up is you either need to roll/willpower spend to abort your action or you must follow through eventually which puts a lot more emphasis on the severity of declaring your actions.
    Any clarification on this would be really appreciated as I have been racking my brain over it for a while now.

If you are delaying an action (for example holding an attack for when you are attacked) then it triggers when the triggers for the delay are met, so you essentially get the attack in first. However sometime the strike could be considered simultaneous, this is for the ST to decide depending on the narrative of the situation. Yes you could hold an action waiting for a Celerity (or Rage) attack to come in, but if you have two characters facing off and they are BOTH holding their attack actions until the other attacks then before Celerity or Rage kicks in they should be either attacking each other or rolling some form of "Stare Down" or they simply lose ALL their hostile actions as they are too busy waiting for the other person to do something (in true Standoff fashion).

Comment

To clarify, I'm not usually great at sussing out combat rules.
      Finally, all additional actions that turn (including actions gained through Celerity) occur at the end of the turn. If two or more characters take multiple actions, the actions occur in order of initiative rating.
      So.
      What happens if both delay their action until person Y's celerity action comes around? Does person Y get both their attacks before person X?
      I think it would resolve that the faster person (Person Y) gets their attack, then the slower person (Person X), then it resolves their Celerity actions after that (again, Person Y, then Person X). Since it reads that a Celerity action will always be resolved at the end of the turn.
      Can they both hold their action till the end of the round?
      If by hold you mean delay, then sure. But I don't think it could be used to supersede Celerity actions going last.
      Do they both lose their actions or do they have to act at the end since the only way to abort an action all together is to abort to a defensive action and that requires you either spend willpower or make a willpower roll?
      Just so, I think they would both have to act or abort.
      I read this as the way the system is set up is you either need to roll/willpower spend to abort your action or you must follow through eventually which puts a lot more emphasis on the severity of declaring your actions.
      Quite. If you can't abort, you have to go with it.
      If the Willpower roll fails, your character must carry out the action that you declared originally.

Comment

Originally posted by Monalfie View Post

If the Willpower roll fails, your character must carry out the action that you declared originally.

Thank you so much for pointing out this one specific qoute, i knew i had read something along these lines but without the exact wording finding it was a pain.

Comment

Working...
        X