Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Vampire 5th Edition] Haven Background

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Vampire 5th Edition] Haven Background

    I want to know about the Haven background.

    Say that I pick haven with 3 dots (in the main category) and then I get a "Very large, secure, or private. Examples: a compound
    outside town, a bank building, a decommissioned subway station."

    Can I only have 2 dots worth of haven merits add-ons like luxury, location security etc. Or can I have up to 5 dots in rating for each of those.

    For example, say that I have Resources 4, I get a Mansion then, do I need to buy haven too, or can I use Havens add-ons to my Resources given mansion?





  • #2
    Originally posted by Little_Miss_ Serneholt View Post
    I want to know about the Haven background.

    Say that I pick haven with 3 dots (in the main category) and then I get a "Very large, secure, or private. Examples: a compound
    outside town, a bank building, a decommissioned subway station."

    Can I only have 2 dots worth of haven merits add-ons like luxury, location security etc. Or can I have up to 5 dots in rating for each of those.

    For example, say that I have Resources 4, I get a Mansion then, do I need to buy haven too, or can I use Havens add-ons to my Resources given mansion?
    Haven is basically a Resource which exists to let you have a Castle, Mansion, or so on without the money to buy it. If you have Resources 4, you could own a delapidated mansion without having to pay for it. It's basically there so players can also have what more or less amounts to the crazy supervillain lairs so many of our players (and myself) liked to have.

    To use an example:

    Bruce Wayne doesn't need to buy Haven to have Wayne Manor. He does need Haven to have the Batcave.


    Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Little_Miss_ Serneholt View Post
      I want to know about the Haven background.

      Say that I pick haven with 3 dots (in the main category) and then I get a "Very large, secure, or private. Examples: a compound
      outside town, a bank building, a decommissioned subway station."

      Can I only have 2 dots worth of haven merits add-ons like luxury, location security etc. Or can I have up to 5 dots in rating for each of those.

      For example, say that I have Resources 4, I get a Mansion then, do I need to buy haven too, or can I use Havens add-ons to my Resources given mansion?



      Haven background gives you the mechanical benefit of protection from intruders and space for Haven add-ons. With Resources 4 you can have a mansion, but it's unprotected (i.e. it doesn't penalize/improve rolls the way Haven background does), and you can't add Haven add-ons to it.

      Haven add-ons are not limited by your haven rating, but some like Laboratory can not be put into a 1 dot Haven.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
        Bruce Wayne doesn't need to buy Haven to have Wayne Manor. He does need Haven to have the Batcave.
        Are the various Robins Batman's Retainers, or Allies ?

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Muad'Dib View Post
          Are the various Robins Batman's Retainers, or Allies ?
          Alfred is a Retainer.

          Gordon is an Ally.

          I think of Robin more as a PC played by Bruce players' much younger brother being let through things. Which explains some of the sillier concept breaking stuff until he reaches high school and revamps his character.



          ("Robin shall be DARK AND EDGY now! He's called Nightwing!"

          Then when they're both in their 30s, he creates Tim Drake as a Nostalgia character)


          Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post

            ("Robin shall be DARK AND EDGY now! He's called Nightwing!"

            Then when they're both in their 30s, he creates Tim Drake as a Nostalgia character)
            There is another ' dark and edgy ' Robin, the most recent one - Damian Wayne. And of course also Jason Todd.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Muad'Dib View Post

              There is another ' dark and edgy ' Robin, the most recent one - Damian Wayne. And of course also Jason Todd.
              I almost feel like that's being played by his kid.



              Jason Todd was when the Storyteller changed and the setting passed on to him, so he had Robin killed which was an in-poor taste way of showing how much they disliked having the character around.

              I'm thinking way too much on this but in 1999, I actually did do a Gotham City by Night series of posts for White Wolf's forums.


              Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
                I'm thinking way too much on this but in 1999, I actually did do a Gotham City by Night series of posts for White Wolf's forums.
                I'd read this, do you still have it anywhere ?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Muad'Dib View Post
                  I'd read this, do you still have it anywhere ?
                  Sadly, it was long since eaten by the internet gods. I might make a thread about it now, though.


                  Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post

                    Sadly, it was long since eaten by the internet gods. I might make a thread about it now, though.
                    Was it strictly V:tM, or did it involve other parts of WoD ? Batman comics and Gotham City seem to me more suitable for a M:tA focused interpretation and reimagining.
                    Last edited by Muad'Dib; 11-04-2018, 03:15 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Muad'Dib View Post

                      Was it strictly V:tM, or did it involve other parts of WoD ? Batman comics and Gotham City seem to me more suitable for a M:tA focused interpretation and reimagining.
                      Well I was a teenager but the basic idea was that I had to strike a balance between the fact that it wouldn't be just a straight adaptation of Gotham City to the World of Darkness, which would be a bunch of mortals running around a really Gothic City but an adaptation of the characters to their nearest WOD equivalents. It would be a darker and less pleasant sort of place (if you can imagine it).

                      In the end, I went with V:TM over Mage despite the fact I did use some magic characters.

                      Because, again, I was a teenager.

                      The basic premise was that Bruce Wayne was a Ventrue operating since the 30s and that Arkham Asylum is not actually a legitimate hospital in this world but where Bruce sends captured Kindred to be imprisoned.

                      But yes, you could easily do a Mage version that probably would be closer to the original. Bruce, I assume, would be a Son of Ether or Orphan.


                      Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
                        But yes, you could easily do a Mage version that probably would be closer to the original. Bruce, I assume, would be a Son of Ether or Orphan.
                        Him being a Technocrat - of either the New World Order or the Syndicate Conventions - is another possibility.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Muad'Dib View Post
                          Him being a Technocrat - of either the New World Order or the Syndicate Conventions - is another possibility.
                          I think that any Technocrat who dresses up as a Bat and beats up criminals is going to get a visit from the NWO's psychologists.


                          Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
                            I think that any Technocrat who dresses up as a Bat and beats up criminals is going to get a visit from the NWO's psychologists.
                            I can see how it is unusual for a Technocrat to do. But I don't think that other Technocrats would have too many issues with one of them doing something like this, in the way Bruce Wayne does it and with his results. Batman's reputation increases safety and stability of Gotham City ; his reputation also allows him to act more efficiently in regard to other situations and matters. Another outcome, one that would be interesting to the N.W.O, is the supervillains of Gotham City developing personal attitudes and relations with Batman. Another result is greater ease of working with other persons while keeping secrecy.
                            Batman wouldn't necessarily be from the Operatives Convention ; he could very well be a member of the Watchers for who fighting crime on the street level is a secondary activity compared to the information and data gathering that he is constantly undertaking.
                            Last edited by Muad'Dib; 11-06-2018, 08:59 AM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Well now I guess we HAVE to do a Gotham by Night thread for everyone to share their ideas.


                              Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X