(5E) What cities are you updating?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (5E) What cities are you updating?

In preparation for my 5e game I am deciding what city I want to use. I want to update some city from a past edition. Not necessarily a city with a city book, but I think it would be fun to pull some past city into the present. Now the two closest cities to where I live don't seem all that suitable at the moment.

Las Vegas has pretty much been purged by the 2nd inquisition. San Francisco has the issues with the great leap outwards and I don't want to touch that right now. So what cities have you updated for yourself to the 5e metaplot? Show me your examples and tell me how you did it!

In the current background of my Chicago by Night chronicle on these forums:

Former Anarch Free States

1. Los Angeles: The city has managed to reconstitute the Anarch Free States but they actually uneasily exist side by side with the Camarilla right next to them. Prince Strauss (6th generation Tremere) is ruling over the city but barely resisting the Beckoning as Jeanette Theresa Voorman serves as both peace-maker as well as agitator between him and Nines Rodriguez (Baron of L.A.). The truth is the city is big enough for both groups, especially since they drove out the Sabbat and the Kuei-jin aren't really interested in holding the territory beyond certain districts.

Louis Fortier is very likely going to make a play for Prince as Strauss is barely keeping it together but this is badly timed as Strauss would probably hand over the job to him willingly. It's just Strauss would never give up what is seized versus given. Fortier is a "switch hitter" willing to work with Anarchs and Camailla equally, which bothers a lot of people. He's also being unduly influenced by his Sabbat "bride" that is half-mad from the fact the Sabbat have effectively failed as a sect.

The Kuei-jin situation has changed due to the fact that 90% of the younger members of the race have realized they were sent as cannon-fodder to die in a pointless foreign quarrel so their elders could remove them from China, Japan, and other communities. With Ming Xiao dead, they are mostly cool with Anarch Cainites and the two groups have much in common with each other than either has with their Elders.

Jenna Cross heads the Thin Blood Community in this region with the assistance of The Los Angeles Ripper, a Neonate infamous for tearing through the ranks of the undead two decades ago. The Ripper has been offered the job of Sheriff multiple times but serves as more a private detective and problem solver for Kindred.

2. San Fransisco: Vanover Thomas has successfully reclaimed rulership of San Fransisco but the bloody, nasty, brutal siege resulted in the Second Inquisition stepping in. He survived it but the population of the city is less than a dozen Kindred now and he doesn't have the control over Silicon Valley that would make it worthwhile. As a result, he's actively considering moving to Los Angeles to overthrow Strauss who is perceived as unduly friendly with the Anarchs.

3. San Diego: Tara is Prince of Sand Diego but the Camarilla no longer exists save as a shadow of her former self. It's caused her no end of humor as virtually everyone hates her and wants to see her dead on both sides of the conflict. She's activly begun taking in former Sabbat from the Lasombra and independent clans in order to strengthen her hold as a result while her humanity has dwindled. The Second Inquisition has identified her as a vampire but hasn't sent in any teams to take her out yet.

Mexico

1. Mexico City: The Second Inquisition, spearheaded by the Society of Leopold and something like one thousand Hunters led by their Messengers did battle in the streets of Mexico City with pretty much the entire Sabbat. The Masquerade more or less completely broke down for a few nights before Shaitan awoke and led an army of Baali, Black Spiral Dancers, and more to slaughter the humans.

Then Lucifer appeared.

What followed was an earthquake that was used to explain the deaths of 100,000 people in Mexico City and the city is still rebuilding from the devastation. What is known, however, is the city is no longer the WOD's version of Mordor.

With the majority of the Sabbat having moved to the Middle East, only a handful of Kindred remain in the city and the city has a reputation of being cursed. Vampire hunters, demon hunters, and others are severely shaken by the loss of life with much question as to what is going to be built on the ashes of the old.
    The Garou of Mexico, mages, and Luciferian demons are settling in to power vacuum that emerged.

Sadly, the Camarilla and Anarchs are both too banged up to make a actual attempt to retake the city after having the biggest cleansing of a city's supernaturals since, well, London.
    Last edited by CTPhipps; 11-03-2018, 03:31 PM.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Unfortunately seeing how I've updated Los Angeles involves reading this session write-up and the five afterwards...but if you have the time spare...

http://gmortschaotica.blogspot.com/2...ession_17.html

Comment

You can do your town you’re at now. I did LA. And now I’m in San Diego I am considering retconning my chronicle to here instead. I can get good pictures otherwise. Also researching the local area I can find weird stories and mysteries and tie them into the mythos.

Comment

St. Louis, where I set a second edition game based on an encyclopedia entry having never been there, but twenty-six years later I have access to the internet (including a resident I can tap for information) so it might be a tad more accurate. I've also updated the vampire side of the setting to V5's uncertain political climate. It's a night's drive from Chicago (and a long night's from New Orleans) so it's once again the "gateway city" for Kindred because they can't rely on air travel. Camarilla, anarchs, the Church of Caine and other factions help or hinder vampires fleeing Chicago and other domains for various reasons.

Craig Oxbrow
          The Trinity Continuum freelancer

Comment

Originally posted by Pnizzle View Post
            You can do your town you’re at now. I did LA. And now I’m in San Diego I am considering retconning my chronicle to here instead. I can get good pictures otherwise. Also researching the local area I can find weird stories and mysteries and tie them into the mythos.
            I live in a town of ten thousand people so using my own city won't work too well. Really the two close metropolises I have are San Fran and last Vegas. I suppose Sacramento sort of counts.

The difference takes on la and San Fran are great. From watching la by night on geek and sundry, it seems your visions are pretty close to what the white wolf storyteller there did with the prince of San Fran casting his eyes south to LA.

Comment

Originally posted by RadioFreeDeath View Post

I live in a town of ten thousand people so using my own city won't work too well. Really the two close metropolises I have are San Fran and last Vegas. I suppose Sacramento sort of counts.

The difference takes on la and San Fran are great. From watching la by night on geek and sundry, it seems your visions are pretty close to what the white wolf storyteller there did with the prince of San Fran casting his eyes south to LA.
              I imagined an Ashland By Night.

Then I realized that it's just Gary with Kentucky accents.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

I am about to start a campaign in Boston by Night. I have written down 40 vampires this far and important locations and areas

Comment

I'm hoping to do a V5 version of the modern-day Fief of Winchester (in England) - Winchester, Salisbury, Southampton and Portsmouth, possibly Basingstoke as well - once I finally get done with the medieval setting

Comment

Washington DC has some recent history attached to it with the return of Marcus Vitel, and I think he'd be one of those Elders that would try to stick around, since he has little love for either the Sabbat or the Antediluvians. Officially DC would be considered a Free Anarch city now, having driven out most of the Sabbat, and with the Bitter Resistance more or less abandoned by the Camarilla with the expulsion of the Brujah, but Vitel doesn't hide his presence or influence being one of the top dogs still around, along with his substantial influence in the police and surveillance network. Plenty of the Anarchs wouldn't be happy about it, but he gives them a lot of freedom compared to the Camarilla in the name of creating a city free of the Jyhad, and between the hopes that he'll eventually succumb to the beckoning, and the fear that his influence is what helps keep the Second Inquisition from investigating too much on their own front lawn, there hasn't been a lot of direct action against him yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Ravian View Post
                      Washington DC has some recent history attached to it with the return of Marcus Vitel, and I think he'd be one of those Elders that would try to stick around, since he has little love for either the Sabbat or the Antediluvians. Officially DC would be considered a Free Anarch city now, having driven out most of the Sabbat, and with the Bitter Resistance more or less abandoned by the Camarilla with the expulsion of the Brujah, but Vitel doesn't hide his presence or influence being one of the top dogs still around, along with his substantial influence in the police and surveillance network. Plenty of the Anarchs wouldn't be happy about it, but he gives them a lot of freedom compared to the Camarilla in the name of creating a city free of the Jyhad, and between the hopes that he'll eventually succumb to the beckoning, and the fear that his influence is what helps keep the Second Inquisition from investigating too much on their own front lawn, there hasn't been a lot of direct action against him yet.

I had totally forgotten that the sabbat leaving means there are huge numbers of cities that are now anarch or camarilla. Now I kinda want to build a campaign where the camarilla and anarchs are moving into Montreal looking for old noddist artifiacts etc. Of course the sabbat have probably left all sorts of awful traps and maybe some of the sabbatt packs havnt actually left... also all the havens could be booby trapped. It could be a great campaign setup.

Comment

I’d love to hear more of your thoughts about DC. I’m about to start a 5e game set there, and I’m trying to work out the timeline of Vitel’s return in BJD, whether he’s still in charge, how he’s dealt with the Second Inquisition (or vice versa), and so forth.

Thanks!

Comment

Vitel and Talley have a few letters back and forth in the V5 books, and Talley has a excerpt where he's meeting some Camarilla folks around the monuments, about getting Lasombra admitted into the club. So they both seem to be active to one degree or another.

Based off of Bekhet's diary, he and Bell and their pals helped Vitel (or whatever it is wearing his face) drive out the Sabbat after Vykos and much of the Sabbat leadership leaves the city for the Gehenna crusade. Talley meanwhile is sent around to advertise DC as a city free from the sect war. Vitel drives out the remaining Sabbat packs (while recruiting ones willing to bend the knee)

Anarchs are the first arrivals into Vitel's new city, highly distrustful of being subject to a dangerously powerful elder like Vitel, despite his assurances that he's interested in DC being a city where Kindred will be free to live their unlives in peace. He lays out the decree that DC will be ruled in a democratic fashion, with himself serving less as Prince and more as Guardian. Absolutely no one believes this, but they figure that if he starts causing trouble, they'll kill him like they did before.

The call about the city spreads enough to bring in plenty of more dispossessed Kindred from all over. The Ministry of Set were early arrivals, along with more than your fair share of thin-bloods and caitiffs but of particular interest are a flight of gargoyles, interested both in the safe haven, as well as the possibility of claiming some of their old Tremere overseers' secrets they may have been left behind in DC after the pyramid was shattered.

The Camarilla haven't been completely cast out however. While officially they hold no power within the city, Vitel does appear to be courting them to prop up his domain's legitimacy. He's allowed emissaries into the Elysium established on the Mall, much to the Anarchs' consternation. There's rumors they may have set up an enclave with Vitel's permission somewhere in Alexandria, but this is unverified and heavily denied by Vitel.

Vitel himself is rarely seen. He's occasionally known to give a speech on the Lincoln Memorial or meet someone at the Washington monument, but for day to day events, Talley's a much more common sight. He doesn't usually get involved in the politics, but instead serves as a mouthpiece for their "Guardian", usually relaying new intelligence gathered on Vitel's network.

How much intel Vitel has is also an unknown factor. He appears to be pretty deep into the Police department, and rumors have it that he has the city's surveillance system, but he seems to keep the extent of his network secret, preferring to cultivate an omnipresent persona. Some of the Anarchs have even started referring to him and his minions as the local "Deep State". Vitel primarily utilizes all of this information to deal with "problems", which seems to be the bulk of his self-appointed duties as the city's Guardian. Sabbat are a primary target. There may not be a ton of them left, but there are more than a few remaining in Torpor throughout the city as a result of the purges, and Vitel does a lot of work in ensuring that they are all removed. (or at the very least converted to his side.)

The second Inquisition make up most of the rest of his attention. Though the FBI, CIA and NSA have their headquarters in or around DC, it's important to recognize that this does not necessarily mean that it's also the headquarters for SI. Indeed much of what SI does is not common knowledge for the top brass of their agencies, because SI recognizes the possibility that anyone can potentially be a slave of the Blankbodies, including their own superiors. Vitel, recognizing this paranoia, has decided to combat SI by going on the attack rather than the defense. SI has been convinced that there is one or more powerful Blankbodies embedded in DC's intelligence organizations' and many have turned their attention inward towards attempting to find and destroy them. Vitel in turn uses whatever agents he can turn towards spreading disinformation, rooting out SI agents and neutralizing them, occasionally directly, more often through bureaucratic means, an inquisitor reassigned to somewhere across the country is another Vampire's problem after all. It's a delicate game of cat and mouse played through a great many proxies, but it keeps the Inquisition on their back foot, and while they hunt for moles in their homes, they're less inclined to look out on their front lawns. All the same, in all likelihood it seems more like a stalling tactic, and those aware of Vitel's shadow war wonder if this is all preamble to a much more decisive solution.

Comment

This is fabulous. You’ve given me a lot to think about and work with, which is just what I needed. Thank you.

Now we just need to get you a contract to write “DC by Night 5e” for Onyx Path/White Wolf...

Comment

As a german i try to update the big german cities in the general political sense. Frankfurt as a sect war zone with a Giovanni Primogen (nod to the german publications), Munich a new Camarilla hub and destiny for cam refugees, Berlin Anarch, Hamburg Anarch, Cologne Anarch and my fictional city of Königsruh (and actual city of play) as a sect war zone.

Comment

Working...
                              X