(5E) What cities are you updating?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RadioFreeDeath
    started a topic (5E) What cities are you updating?

(5E) What cities are you updating?

In preparation for my 5e game I am deciding what city I want to use. I want to update some city from a past edition. Not necessarily a city with a city book, but I think it would be fun to pull some past city into the present. Now the two closest cities to where I live don't seem all that suitable at the moment.

Las Vegas has pretty much been purged by the 2nd inquisition. San Francisco has the issues with the great leap outwards and I don't want to touch that right now. So what cities have you updated for yourself to the 5e metaplot? Show me your examples and tell me how you did it!

• CTPhipps
    replied
    Here's a summary of my update to Chicago by Night for 5E.

1. The city was ruled by Prince Lodin (II) who is an homage to the Sabbat regent plot in that he's ACTUALLY a 12th generation Tzimisce named Paul Hernandez who escaped the Gehenna Crusade. Critias and the other Primogen put him up to be their catspaw and puppet-ruler, only for the half which knew he was a fake to be Beckoned and him becoming PRINCE FOR REAL. He's obnoxious and enjoyed the money, vessels, and petty cruelty working for the Camarilla guarantees.

Eventually, he fled during an outbreak of an anti-Kindred disease and too many people knowing who he was.

2. Juggler is the current head of the Anarchs in Chicago and fully intent on either leading them into a massive revolt that will get most of them slaughtered or betraying them outright. Having been heavily bribed by Lodin, he's been keeping them all placated with mindless platitudes and pointless targets while they've had their numbers thinned by conflict, exile, and other works. He is aware he can't ride this train forever but is happy to keep enjoying his 100,000K a month lifestyle.

3. Rather than Prince, Kevin Jackson is planning on taking over the Anarchs. Realizing that he would never be accepted among the Camarilla and the Anarchs have the collective IQ of a bag full of hammers (in his opinion), he proceeded to start gathering his forces and infiltrating the group. He plans on making a formal takeover after he eliminates Capone. He's not sure whether he'll go "Baron", "Boss", "Chairman", or "President."

4. Critias is currently held prisoner by the 2nd Inquisition and trying to talk his way out of it. His disappearance altered the power structure of Chicago significantly as it provided him with time to think about events in the city and realize his sire was present.

Eventually, the PCs rescued him.

5. Menele is actually still in Chicago while Helena has succumbed to the Beckoning. This has resulted in Menele planning to make it his "Third City." His sire is influencing his thoughts and warping his mind so that it's becoming increasingly unhinged as he's started to debate inviting the Baali to live in Chicago as well as working with werewolves. The Inconnu could help him but he'd have to leave everyone behind.

6. Alphonse Capone was badly injured by the Second Inquisition but has ascended to the throne of Primogen and Clan head of the Ventrue. Unfortunately, his soul is sick of the relentless murder and chaos of recent nights with a woman he loved (or believed he did) being killed in a petty dispute. Alphonse desperately wants to get out of the intrigue of the Jhyad but has no idea how to do so.
    He's too recognizable an individual and the Ventrue clan too tight.

7. The Second Inquisition is actually primarily taking the disguise in America with the Bureau of Public Health and Safety, which is a Department of Homeland Security section that pretends there's an outbreak of porphyria across the nation that they have to burn away. The organization is actually corrupt around Chicago and Lodin has an agent in it. However, agents are still gathering information in the city.

8. Bobby Weatherbottom is making use of this time and his new Information Warfare company to prepare to destroy all their digital information (he's being aided by the Virtual Adepts who see this as a Technocracy weapon). He's also going to use his overt attack to hide Blood magic-enhanced spyware which will make it easier for Kindred to communicate.

9. Maldavis has become the leader of the Circulatory System in Chicago, realizing that the best way to regain her power base is by feeding the many Kindred refugees currently in the city. This has involved her coming into conflict with other members of the group who are less scrupulous than she is, like Brett Stryker and her former friend Dickie who acquire vessels for Kindred without regard to the lives lost.

The player characters eventually struck gold, acquiring a set of Technocracy vats designed to regulate human blood (for a plan to poison them) that they gave to her for a generous cut of the prophets. This has dramatically reduced the "carbon footprint" of Kindred in Chicago.

10. Annabelle was so terrified of the Beckoning, she's taken to feeding on Thin Bloods in order to stave it off due to some snail oil sold her as a means of doing so. Ironically, she's shown no signs of needing it. The PCs eventually exposed this and got her enmity.
    Last edited by CTPhipps; 11-11-2018, 05:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Baaldam
    replied
    Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
    Rio is one of the Camarilla cities featured in The Camarilla, FYI.

Might end up doing my own thing, but very good to know, should make a most engrossing read. Thanks.
    Last edited by Baaldam; 11-10-2018, 06:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• CTPhipps
    replied
    Rio is one of the Camarilla cities featured in The Camarilla, FYI.

Leave a comment:

• Baaldam
    replied
    Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post

I imagined an Ashland By Night.

Then I realized that it's just Gary with Kentucky accents.

Well, my first city ever in a Masquerade was Gary (after some mixing-&-matching of clans and generations) adapted in weird ways to late 80s/early 90s Miami (because me and the friend i co-STed with had a bunch of maps and tour guides at hand thanks to recent family trips to Florida). Weird Miami Vice and Twin Peaks references included.

Recently messed a bit (a lot) with Chicago in an "all-methuselah game" involving Critias, Eletria, "Caine" (actually a Trujah ancient that diablerized the impostor from Berlin by Night, but got messed up fierce by the weird amulet), a rogue Inconnu Cappadocian called Magog (as Infitiore as one can be) and an ex-anathema (the Camarilla declared him destroyed in the early 90s) that might be the oldest Caitiff in activity. That said, it's a pretty crazy high-level chronicle and we have had problems ourselves to somewhat order the mess resulting of our most debacles - that resulted in the unintentional destruction of the Tal'Mahe'Ra's Underworld citadel (it was only meant to be a simple raid led by the Caitiff's brood...), the partial liberation of a Baali blood-god and a big fight with a surprised/paranoid Helena and lots of her puppets in Chicago's slaughterhouse district, resulting in her torpor among others.

(Menele was mostly unaffected because he was still in torpor and decided that "NOPENOPENOPE" was the better part of valor, contacting the PCs after the mess mostly burned out)

Of late i'm somewhat tempted to make something set in my own home city - Rio de Janeiro - that for good and for ill, has very, very sparse official material upon, but have been going slow with that.
    Last edited by Baaldam; 11-10-2018, 12:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Crytash
    replied
    As a german i try to update the big german cities in the general political sense. Frankfurt as a sect war zone with a Giovanni Primogen (nod to the german publications), Munich a new Camarilla hub and destiny for cam refugees, Berlin Anarch, Hamburg Anarch, Cologne Anarch and my fictional city of Königsruh (and actual city of play) as a sect war zone.

Leave a comment:

• Epimetreus
    replied
    Originally posted by Ravian View Post
    This is fabulous. You’ve given me a lot to think about and work with, which is just what I needed. Thank you.

Now we just need to get you a contract to write “DC by Night 5e” for Onyx Path/White Wolf...

Leave a comment:

• Ravian
    replied
    Vitel and Talley have a few letters back and forth in the V5 books, and Talley has a excerpt where he's meeting some Camarilla folks around the monuments, about getting Lasombra admitted into the club. So they both seem to be active to one degree or another.

Based off of Bekhet's diary, he and Bell and their pals helped Vitel (or whatever it is wearing his face) drive out the Sabbat after Vykos and much of the Sabbat leadership leaves the city for the Gehenna crusade. Talley meanwhile is sent around to advertise DC as a city free from the sect war. Vitel drives out the remaining Sabbat packs (while recruiting ones willing to bend the knee)

Anarchs are the first arrivals into Vitel's new city, highly distrustful of being subject to a dangerously powerful elder like Vitel, despite his assurances that he's interested in DC being a city where Kindred will be free to live their unlives in peace. He lays out the decree that DC will be ruled in a democratic fashion, with himself serving less as Prince and more as Guardian. Absolutely no one believes this, but they figure that if he starts causing trouble, they'll kill him like they did before.

The call about the city spreads enough to bring in plenty of more dispossessed Kindred from all over. The Ministry of Set were early arrivals, along with more than your fair share of thin-bloods and caitiffs but of particular interest are a flight of gargoyles, interested both in the safe haven, as well as the possibility of claiming some of their old Tremere overseers' secrets they may have been left behind in DC after the pyramid was shattered.

The Camarilla haven't been completely cast out however. While officially they hold no power within the city, Vitel does appear to be courting them to prop up his domain's legitimacy. He's allowed emissaries into the Elysium established on the Mall, much to the Anarchs' consternation. There's rumors they may have set up an enclave with Vitel's permission somewhere in Alexandria, but this is unverified and heavily denied by Vitel.

Vitel himself is rarely seen. He's occasionally known to give a speech on the Lincoln Memorial or meet someone at the Washington monument, but for day to day events, Talley's a much more common sight. He doesn't usually get involved in the politics, but instead serves as a mouthpiece for their "Guardian", usually relaying new intelligence gathered on Vitel's network.

How much intel Vitel has is also an unknown factor. He appears to be pretty deep into the Police department, and rumors have it that he has the city's surveillance system, but he seems to keep the extent of his network secret, preferring to cultivate an omnipresent persona. Some of the Anarchs have even started referring to him and his minions as the local "Deep State". Vitel primarily utilizes all of this information to deal with "problems", which seems to be the bulk of his self-appointed duties as the city's Guardian. Sabbat are a primary target. There may not be a ton of them left, but there are more than a few remaining in Torpor throughout the city as a result of the purges, and Vitel does a lot of work in ensuring that they are all removed. (or at the very least converted to his side.)

The second Inquisition make up most of the rest of his attention. Though the FBI, CIA and NSA have their headquarters in or around DC, it's important to recognize that this does not necessarily mean that it's also the headquarters for SI. Indeed much of what SI does is not common knowledge for the top brass of their agencies, because SI recognizes the possibility that anyone can potentially be a slave of the Blankbodies, including their own superiors. Vitel, recognizing this paranoia, has decided to combat SI by going on the attack rather than the defense. SI has been convinced that there is one or more powerful Blankbodies embedded in DC's intelligence organizations' and many have turned their attention inward towards attempting to find and destroy them. Vitel in turn uses whatever agents he can turn towards spreading disinformation, rooting out SI agents and neutralizing them, occasionally directly, more often through bureaucratic means, an inquisitor reassigned to somewhere across the country is another Vampire's problem after all. It's a delicate game of cat and mouse played through a great many proxies, but it keeps the Inquisition on their back foot, and while they hunt for moles in their homes, they're less inclined to look out on their front lawns. All the same, in all likelihood it seems more like a stalling tactic, and those aware of Vitel's shadow war wonder if this is all preamble to a much more decisive solution.

Leave a comment:

• Epimetreus
    replied
    Washington DC has some recent history attached to it with the return of Marcus Vitel, and I think he'd be one of those Elders that would try to stick around, since he has little love for either the Sabbat or the Antediluvians. Officially DC would be considered a Free Anarch city now, having driven out most of the Sabbat, and with the Bitter Resistance more or less abandoned by the Camarilla with the expulsion of the Brujah, but Vitel doesn't hide his presence or influence being one of the top dogs still around, along with his substantial influence in the police and surveillance network. Plenty of the Anarchs wouldn't be happy about it, but he gives them a lot of freedom compared to the Camarilla in the name of creating a city free of the Jyhad, and between the hopes that he'll eventually succumb to the beckoning, and the fear that his influence is what helps keep the Second Inquisition from investigating too much on their own front lawn, there hasn't been a lot of direct action against him yet.
    I’d love to hear more of your thoughts about DC. I’m about to start a 5e game set there, and I’m trying to work out the timeline of Vitel’s return in BJD, whether he’s still in charge, how he’s dealt with the Second Inquisition (or vice versa), and so forth.

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• RadioFreeDeath
    replied
    Washington DC has some recent history attached to it with the return of Marcus Vitel, and I think he'd be one of those Elders that would try to stick around, since he has little love for either the Sabbat or the Antediluvians. Officially DC would be considered a Free Anarch city now, having driven out most of the Sabbat, and with the Bitter Resistance more or less abandoned by the Camarilla with the expulsion of the Brujah, but Vitel doesn't hide his presence or influence being one of the top dogs still around, along with his substantial influence in the police and surveillance network. Plenty of the Anarchs wouldn't be happy about it, but he gives them a lot of freedom compared to the Camarilla in the name of creating a city free of the Jyhad, and between the hopes that he'll eventually succumb to the beckoning, and the fear that his influence is what helps keep the Second Inquisition from investigating too much on their own front lawn, there hasn't been a lot of direct action against him yet.

I had totally forgotten that the sabbat leaving means there are huge numbers of cities that are now anarch or camarilla. Now I kinda want to build a campaign where the camarilla and anarchs are moving into Montreal looking for old noddist artifiacts etc. Of course the sabbat have probably left all sorts of awful traps and maybe some of the sabbatt packs havnt actually left... also all the havens could be booby trapped. It could be a great campaign setup.

Leave a comment:

• Ravian
    replied

Leave a comment:

• JezMiller
    replied
    I'm hoping to do a V5 version of the modern-day Fief of Winchester (in England) - Winchester, Salisbury, Southampton and Portsmouth, possibly Basingstoke as well - once I finally get done with the medieval setting

Leave a comment:

• Little_Miss_ Serneholt
    replied
    I am about to start a campaign in Boston by Night. I have written down 40 vampires this far and important locations and areas

Leave a comment:

• CTPhipps
    replied
    Originally posted by RadioFreeDeath View Post

I live in a town of ten thousand people so using my own city won't work too well. Really the two close metropolises I have are San Fran and last Vegas. I suppose Sacramento sort of counts.

The difference takes on la and San Fran are great. From watching la by night on geek and sundry, it seems your visions are pretty close to what the white wolf storyteller there did with the prince of San Fran casting his eyes south to LA.
    I imagined an Ashland By Night.

Then I realized that it's just Gary with Kentucky accents.

Leave a comment:

• RadioFreeDeath
    replied
    Originally posted by Pnizzle View Post
    You can do your town you’re at now. I did LA. And now I’m in San Diego I am considering retconning my chronicle to here instead. I can get good pictures otherwise. Also researching the local area I can find weird stories and mysteries and tie them into the mythos.
    I live in a town of ten thousand people so using my own city won't work too well. Really the two close metropolises I have are San Fran and last Vegas. I suppose Sacramento sort of counts.

The difference takes on la and San Fran are great. From watching la by night on geek and sundry, it seems your visions are pretty close to what the white wolf storyteller there did with the prince of San Fran casting his eyes south to LA.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X