Tips for larp makeup for assamites

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Gentleman Gamer View Post
    Yeah, that was dropped in both V20 and V5, and publicly regretted by the people who suggested it in the first place. There's no metaplot reason for their skin darkening, as no other clans change colour with age. I would just follow the advice above that doesn't involve blacking up.
    While V5 has radically changed a lot, so it's safest not to assume anything, I didn't see anything explicit in the V20 core Book to say there was a change, were we meant to assume that because there wasn't an explicit mention of skin darkening with age that it didn't happen, or did I miss something?
    Because some of the interesting plot - with Ur-Shugli's child not darkening (Implying that he's not actually embraced Assamite, and Ur-Shugli is Baali) is a depending on the darkening

The other point, is that the current MET book explicitly says that Assamites do Darken with Age
    Originally posted by P44 Minds Eye Theatre - Vampire the Masquerade
    "Older Assamites tend to come from Middle Eastern and North African cultures, though young Assamites are Embraced from a more global demographic. An Assamite’s skin grows darker with age, as opposed to other vampires, whose skin gets paler. Because of this, particularly ancient Assamites appear unnaturally onyx-skinned, as though carved from darkest ebony."

So they version that is played in LARPs still has that aspect of their weakness.

Comment

Well, in that case I stand corrected.

It's rare that I make a personal critical view of a game concept known, especially one I've worked on, but the idea of Assamites darkening seems utterly absurd to me, just as the inverse of other vampires getting paler with age (corpses don't become bleached white).

A white American LARPer decided to portray a darkened Assamite at one of the Grand Masquerades and was threatened with assault by civilians for walking around "blacked up." The organisers had to apologise on his behalf, because yes, walking around in black make-up is stupid. It's a silly thing to have in the tabletop game, it's a dumb thing to have in the LARP. There's no actual reason for them darkening.

So personal advice time: Please don't black up to play an elder Assamite. You probably aren't a racist, but you sure as hell will look like one.
      Last edited by The Gentleman Gamer; 11-06-2018, 06:07 AM.

Matthew Dawkins
      In-House Developer for Onyx Path Publishing

~Hapax Legomenon~

Comment

Originally posted by The Gentleman Gamer View Post

Yeah, that was dropped in both V20 and V5, and publicly regretted by the people who suggested it in the first place. There's no metaplot reason for their skin darkening, as no other clans change colour with age. I would just follow the advice above that doesn't involve blacking up.
        Sorry to say but this is blatantly untrue when tallking about V20. V20 core has under the appearance section the following line:
        Originally posted by ”V20 core p.48-49
        An Assamite’s skin grows darker with age (as opposed to other Vampires, whose skin gets paler); particularly Ancient Assamites are almost enoni in complexion.
        In V20 this is further supported in Lore of the Clans where it is finally given a name and mechanics and it is, I think for the first time officially called out to possibly be the original Curse of the Clan levied by Caine. You can find all this in Lore of the Clans p.30.

The line I quoted on V20 is also present in revised and further explored in CB: Assamites revised.

It is also present in V20DA where it is mentioned in the Clan description under Clan Weakness.

Personally I cannot speak whether or not the people who have continually and consistently written about the Darkening regret their work or not, if you say they do then I will take your word on it as you likely know them personally.

Of V5 I have no idea since it is not a game I currently intend to invest in, being happy with my current numerous vampire rpgs. So I am not qualities to speak of it while you obviously are as one of the people involved in writing it.

But each table can naturally decide whether or not Darkening is a thing on their games as YMMV but still it is officially part of the V20 lines fiction and mechanics.

Edit: Matthew responded to Illithids post as I was writing my own post so this is a tad redundant but I will let it remain here if for no other reason than to give quotes and pages for those intersted in exploring the Darkening in their games.
        Last edited by Possessed; 11-06-2018, 04:04 AM.

Comment

As for the LARP aspect of Darkening I would suggest your Elder hiding it’s effects through Obfuscate thus removing the need to represent it’s effects with makeup.

Edit: And when playing Assamites in general not elders remember that being only few years undead merely darkens your skintone to more resemble living tones, few decades increase this to tanner skin effect thus meaning that in LARP conditions such effects just mean you do not need any make up effects as your natural skin tone will work fine.
          Last edited by Possessed; 11-06-2018, 04:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Possessed View Post
            As for the LARP aspect of Darkening I would suggest your Elder hiding it’s effects through Obfuscate thus removing the need to represent it’s effects with makeup.

Edit: And when playing Assamites in general not elders remember that being only few years undead merely darkens your skintone to more resemble living tones, few decades increase this to tanner skin effect thus meaning that in LARP conditions such effects just mean you do not need any make up effects as your natural skin tone will work fine.
            The Problem with the Viziers, is they don't get Obfuscate in Clan. But they certainly would have some skills at hiding it to survive without being a walking masquerade breach.

Comment

Working...
            X