Science and Mysticism

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Science and Mysticism

So I really dig Dr. Netchurch fictions. Gets me thinking on vampire scientists researching some of the more mystical discipline, with hundreds of Millions if not Billions of dollars if funding. Hell I can see Elders and Methuselahs funding such things to help make discipline advancements.

So what do Lasombra Scientists do when they have a billion dollars to fund research into the Abyss? How does empirical data on the Abyss turn out?

What about Tremere Scientists? We already went into the idea of Tremere Hackers and Doctors but we need more talk on Tremere engineers! Tremere Cybernetics and genetics! Imagine if Tremere ran NASA!?

Closest we have on this is talk of Trujah developing Cutting Edge Supercomputers, and the Children of Haquim who have things like the seat of copper and such. They literally have Sorcerers mixing with scientists or who are sorcerer scientists.

What about the Giovanni? They invest billions into an occult trick, so what about their research wings?

What about Metamorphosists who break that tenant about not sharing knowledge? Or even supergenius elders who don’t need help researching?

Rituals alone would be able to make awesome shortcuts or supernatural infrastructure, I mean they had a hidden ghost city for a while... rituals can make sorcerously mighty supercomputers. Or compact access to an armory, or Hell magic enhanced bombs!

But what about Obtenebration? Or the neurological research potential of Observing the effects of Dominate in the human brain? What about things like Elder powers doing things like ordering Alzheimer’s patients to remember while others observe?

It is a time for great deeds!

I generally rule that Science is able to provide a lot of help to would-be mages. However, I also inform my players that science is fundamentally useless when they get to the point of trying to create new magic because the point of magic is imposing your will on reality.

Trial and error don't help much with understanding the metaphor behind how you feel about Copper and its relationship to the God Zeus.

You can, however, use magic to make science work far far better than you can use science to work magic.

I.e. Magic nicely overcomes those pesky laws of physics that would otherwise ruin a good hypothesis.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Developing rituals to improve technological fields may actually be a waste. If it takes five years to make a ritual to make computers 50% faster, but technology can do it in less, then you've wasted a bunch of money and time.

Can Dominate affect the brain and make them remember if plaque is physically stopping the connections working as intended, do you treat it as a "derangement" that can be overcome with treatment or Obeah, or would you need both dominate and Vicissitude to change the grey matter?

STs need to understand the situation better than science does in order to say that a certain discipline would work or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Illithid View Post
        Developing rituals to improve technological fields may actually be a waste. If it takes five years to make a ritual to make computers 50% faster, but technology can do it in less, then you've wasted a bunch of money and time.

Can Dominate affect the brain and make them remember if plaque is physically stopping the connections working as intended, do you treat it as a "derangement" that can be overcome with treatment or Obeah, or would you need both dominate and Vicissitude to change the grey matter?

STs need to understand the situation better than science does in order to say that a certain discipline would work or not.
        THE LAUNDRY FILES do a decent job with this where they had a crappy series of ancient 1950s computers still being used because the wizards who amped them up did so in a way that they still functioned decades later in ways that defied physics.

Simultaneously the super-computers are kept AWAY from magic because that was something human brains couldn't control.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Working...
        X