Share your unpopular opinions thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Share your unpopular opinions thread

The unpopular opinion thread. Share what is true in your head or table that you think other players and Storytellers would not agree with.

My first 20

1. The Baali are best when they're just a bunch of evil scumbags selling souls for $$$.

2. The Sabbat is best when they're a bunch of hypocritical fools who are totally ineffective at fighting Elders and following nonsensical paths.

3 The Ravnos are perfectly fine if they're the Indian clan. Not so as anything else.

4. The Anarchs are the greatest thing in Vampire: The Masquerade but get no respect from the game.

5. The True Hand is awesome if you dial it down 20%. It should also be the Inconnu.

6. The Followers of Set were awesome as is.

7. The Assamites are better as a pure blood obsessed murder cult.

8. 1E is the best Edition.

9. Chicago by Night is the greatest supplement ever made.

10. Crossovers are inherently awesome.

11. Malkavians are more fun as mysterious prophets and poets than they are actually mental ill.

12. We should all pretend the Kuei-jin don't exist like some people do the True Hand.

13. Gary is awesome and every NPC in it is pure gold.

14. Menele is worse than Helena.

15. Vampires should be able to fight werewolves.

16. Mithras should never have been diablerized and should be the ruler of the Camarilla.

17. The thing that upsets me most in 5E is Jan Pieterzoon being killed.

18. The Giovanni just stole the Tremere's thing.

19. The Sabbat just stole the Anarch's thing.

20. Saulot was a good guy even if his clan is kind of lame.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

12 is not an unpopular opinion. I would argue its the MORE popular and KoTE fans are less so.

Though more and more I think KOTE Should be the Zombie Game. Zombieland Saga probably sealed it for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post
      12 is not an unpopular opinion. I would argue its the MORE popular and KoTE fans are less so.

Though more and more I think KOTE Should be the Zombie Game. Zombieland Saga probably sealed it for me.
      I mean, I loved them as antagonists in Bloodlines (even though it was basically Big Trouble in Little China crossed with vampire) but I feel like it's replacing a more interesting game.

I would be interested in a zombie game as well.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

"Edgelord" is a pejorative Insult that is rarely warranted. The Hunger system is amazing and the best thing to ever happen to Vampire. The Tremere are far better in V5 than they ever were before. Lilith is far more interesting than Caine. The Giovanni are practically unplayable and should be replaced by a resurgent Capadocian/Lazarene/Harbinger Clan. The term "Prince" is sort of weak and I have a hard time believing any self-respecting powerful monster would use it.

Comment

The Setites should be a branch of Clan Baali.

Call me Regina or Lex.

Female pronouns for me, please.

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
            21. The Setites are actually a cultured enlightened clan of philosophers who believe in a "Paradise-Lost"-esque philosophy of ruling in Hell and liberating mankind from the prison of god-inspired chains that may not actually be wrong given Mage is canon. The Baali are just assholes.

Comment

The 9) is not impopular at all kinda the opposite Chicago by night along Elyseum is the best of the best of the masquerade line.

Neither 10 ) Everybody loves crossovers but the rules for them are completely unbalnced in WoD , CoD is more balanced and better build mechanically so for people interested in doing a crossover I would recommend to use those rules

PD:I will post later my impopular thoughts

Hunger pool

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post

I mean, I loved them as antagonists in Bloodlines (even though it was basically Big Trouble in Little China crossed with vampire) but I feel like it's replacing a more interesting game.

I would be interested in a zombie game as well.

I personally feel KOTE better fits the "Werwolf/mage/wraith/changeling" WOD while V:TM/Demon/Hunter sort of make theirown thing.

As for the big trouble in little chinaness of it .. yes, but WOD is basically popculture movies writ large... you would not have Brujah without Lost Boys

OH right my Unpopular opinion: Every clan past the first Seven is unnecissary bullshit that exists purely to justify a new Discipline. And Even the Tremere are barely necissary vs a cult in the Cam.
                Last edited by Lian; 11-09-2018, 02:15 AM.

Comment

I personally feel KOTE better fits the "Werwolf/mage/wraith/changeling" WOD while V:TM/Demon/Hunter sort of make theirown thing.

As for the big trouble in little chinaness of it .. yes, but WOD is basically popculture movies writ large... you would not have Brujah without Lost Boys
                  Yes, I feel like it's best when it's trying to be pop culture movies.

I feel it sometimes goes a little too far, though.

Comment

OH right my Unpopular opinion: Every clan past the first Seven is unnecissary bullshit that exists purely to justify a new Discipline. And Even the Tremere are barely necissary vs a cult in the Cam.
                    Agreed , here goes my unpopular opinion on this

1) Extra clans should have been bloodlines expanding the prexisting lore of the clans instead of racial stereotypes

2) Clan tremere should have been something more like a covenent than a clan

3) Clan Tremere should have pissed less people , gargoyles could have been made of Tzimisces and Salubris no need to piss off the Gangrel and nosferatu

4) Thaumaturgy should have been a rtiual discipline like cruac or theban sorcery instead of a superpowers box

5) Clan Malkavian should have been an infection (kinda like in requiem)

Hunger pool

Comment

Originally posted by atamajakki View Post
                      My take on this:

You have to choose one. You can't have Setites and Baali in the same setting. They do so much of the same thing, being the corrupter, seller of ancient lore, dark cult... So much of what the rest of the world sees of them is the same. Either let the Baali be that thing, or let the Setites.

Furthermore, I believe Carthage should be destroyed.

Comment

My unpopular opinions?

The original Dirty Secrets of the Black Hand Book was kind of awesome, if you like the Vampions style of play.

I like the Vampions style of play.

The problem with the Ravnos wasn't the blatant racism, it was the completely non-thematic disciplines. (And, the racism.)

The Ravnos were just one piece of the game's political problems. The entire mythos -with pcs having immutable temperaments, abilities, and weaknesses determined by the blood in their veins, inherited from their ancestors- is potentially problematic and, clearly, the subconscious result of a culture highly informed by the ideas of early 20th century eugenics, if not outright racism. In spite of this, it's a lot of fun, and I love the game. Cognitive dissonance can be energizing.

The Brujah are boring as hell. They frenzy a little more than all vampires. They are slightly better at bloodpumping their natural abilities. They are the epitome of the vanilla vampires. Yawn.

Rules for sunlight damage are so punishing it makes it hard to imagine vampires surviving more than a few weeks. It makes Dark Ages completely unworkable, given the building standards of the time, unless every vampire has Protean 3. (Go ask someone who has set up a home darkroom for photography. It is really, really hard to light-proof a room with no errors, ever.)

The Sabbat are right and stupid. The Camarilla are wrong and smart. The Anarchs are wrong and stupid. The Autarkis are right and smart, but terrible for a game's narrative. If you know your way around plotting and characterization, that last bit actually makes a lot of sense.

I really miss the cool music and literature quotes from the early editions.

I think the second Giovanni clanbook was hilarious. I'm partly Italian-American, and omg I laughed and laughed. What? Why are you looking at me like that? Clanbook Giovanni was a comedy of manners, right?

In-world, no one should know Fortitude exists as a discipline.

Or, that any clan with Obfuscate is an actual clan. If your Antedeluvian has Obfuscate 10, everyone thinks you are a bloodline.

I live for having a dicepool so large it doesn't fit in one hand. Yes, I have inadequacy issues.

Malkavians can work as chainsaw killers. Malkavians can work as a serious treatment of mental illness in fiction. Malkavians can work as zany fishmalks. They don't work as all three at once. Pick one, and go with it. I prefer to see a Fishmalk done well, rather than either of the other two done poorly.

A Fishmalk's reaction to that last would be, "Why would you want to kill a chainsaw, and can you actually make much money at that?" This is why I love Fishmalks.

When listed alphabetically, the clans are also listed in order of how much I like them, from worst to best. This makes reading most lists of the clans a good experience, as it keeps getting better.

God, I hate the Salubri bloodline with a burning passion. If I could change one thing about them, I would re-name them the "Aaaaaaaa, Salubri!" What narrative role do they fill that isn't filled by someone else better? Okay, maybe healer. But, a thin-blood who can't inflict blood-bonds, but has a large herd, is better at that.

Chronicles with an all-ghoul set of pcs is probably the best game from a mechanical stand-point, but dammit vampires are more fun.

On the topic of VtR... I hate owls. Not fear them. Not respect them. I hate them. They are peripheral npc adversaries that work best when the pcs have no idea they exist, and they are presented as nearly the main element in VtR. They are a large part of why I never switched.

V5 is neither VtR, nor VtM. It is its own thing. Saying V5 is VtM, is like saying Bohemian Rhapsody is opera. Saying so betrays both the speaker's lack of knowledge about both that song and that style of music.

VtM is nearly impossible to teach to a new player, because the rules are such a twisted thicket of contradictions. Better to just start playing and deal with stuff as it comes up.

Vampires aren't "damned". Not anymore than anyone else in the world of darkness, anyway. The mechanics of Necromancy says their afterlife has pretty much the same range of possibilities as anyone. (The obvious exception being diablerie.)

The best bloodline, the one that should rule the world, are the Noiad. Solid disciplines, laughably mild weakness, no major enemies. How is this not the most popular choice for powergamers? Buy Presence 1 out-of-clan, and you are all set.

And, the least popular thing I am posting here: In Nomine did gothic punk better than VtM, and had a better mechanic. It was a better game. However, nobody plays it anymore, and there were too few supplements, so here I am.

Comment

Originally posted by pang4 View Post

My take on this:

You have to choose one. You can't have Setites and Baali in the same setting. They do so much of the same thing, being the corrupter, seller of ancient lore, dark cult... So much of what the rest of the world sees of them is the same. Either let the Baali be that thing, or let the Setites.
                          I feel like they serve two different functions but they needed to be more distinct from the beginning.

Like in Demon: The Fallen, Luciferians are educated humanitarian individuals who believe God is evil.

While Reavers are guys who want to watch the world burn.

Setites should be like cultured comic book Sandman Lucifer.

Baali should be deranged Cthulhu cultists.

Comment

Dominate shouldn’t be generation dependent.

Comment

Cam games are boring.
                              Changeling is the superior game even if nobody I know is interested in it.
                              Corax are the best shifters, with a bullet.
                              Wraith could have been amazing.

Comment

Working...
                              X