X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CTPhipps
    replied
    Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post

The way they've always done it on Mage forums/message groups: Everyone talking past each other and ignoring alternate points of view. I hear it works pretty well with socio-political discussions too.
    Mind you, Mage is a game about an endless war over what placebo you like best.

Leave a comment:

• No One of Consequence
    replied
    Originally posted by Illithid View Post
    How are you meant to have a discussion if you don't start on equal footing?
    The way they've always done it on Mage forums/message groups: Everyone talking past each other and ignoring alternate points of view. I hear it works pretty well with socio-political discussions too.

Leave a comment:

• CTPhipps
    replied
    Originally posted by Lubricus View Post

Not to me. To some, probably. That's not why I singled them out, however. It's more that it would be properly dramatic to have an entire Clan wiped out as part of the pre-Gehenna-ruckus, and they have already been given that treatment. Plus, to me, they seem redundant - their role in the setting could easily have been filled by a subset of Gangrel or some bloodline or other.
    That is pretty much how I felt about them.

Mind you, ONE of them is one of my favorite characters in Shejana from Chicago by Night 2nd Edition.

Leave a comment:

• Lubricus
    replied
    Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post

Are the Ravnos too radioactive to ever be redeemed?

Even with their incorporation of Indian mythology and themes?
    Not to me. To some, probably. That's not why I singled them out, however. It's more that it would be properly dramatic to have an entire Clan wiped out as part of the pre-Gehenna-ruckus, and they have already been given that treatment. Plus, to me, they seem redundant - their role in the setting could easily have been filled by a subset of Gangrel or some bloodline or other.

Leave a comment:

• Illithid
    replied
    The Clan as a Whole was probably overpowered compared to the power of other clans.
    Seeing how you can consider the clan as a whole to have access to every ritual and path in existence (A very different argument than I make to PCs or even at Chantry level)

Leave a comment:

• CTPhipps
    replied
    Originally posted by Illithid View Post

Why, and in what way?
    Basically, they were sitting at the top of the world with the Council of Seven, No. 2# status of the Camarilla, and hundreds of enemies but none of them able to really get a hit on them.

So V5's destruction of the Council of Seven plus the fact that, minus the Blood Bond, many of the Tremere HATE their masters--was a welcome change.

Leave a comment:

• Illithid
    replied
    Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
    Another unpopular opinion?

The Tremere really needed to be smacked down.
    Why, and in what way?

Leave a comment:

• CTPhipps
    replied
    Another unpopular opinion?

The Tremere really needed to be smacked down.

Leave a comment:

• Illithid
    replied
    Originally posted by Dogstar View Post
    Righteously adhering to the canon and metaplot, regardless, makes for better discussion points on forums.
    If you're answering a question on the forums, your answer should be inclusive of all material unless you explicitly advise what you're excluding or reading differently (if possible)
    It bugs the hell out of me to have people decide on stuff based on the bits they like, excluding the bits they dont' or based on house rules without explicitly mentioning it.
    How are you meant to have a discussion if you don't start on equal footing?

Leave a comment:

• Dogstar
    replied
    Righteously adhering to the canon and metaplot, regardless, makes for better discussion points on forums.

Leave a comment:

• Trippy
    replied
    Originally posted by GenerallyConfused View Post

Well, i'm sure if i went looking for it i could find anything can cause issues. But, you know, it's a game, it's meant to be fun, not a social studies exercise?
    Misses the point, really. Most people would baulk at the idea of a 'Jewish' Clan which presented it as a bunch of steretyped traits and connotations. Same is true of presenting any ethnic group in such a way, including Romani.

And, beyond anything else, as CTPhipps alluded to above, they didn't really fulfill any necessary niche in the game.

Leave a comment:

• CTPhipps
    replied
    Originally posted by GenerallyConfused View Post

Well, i'm sure if i went looking for it i could find anything can cause issues. But, you know, it's a game, it's meant to be fun, not a social studies exercise?
    Well then allow me to add my unpopular opinion.

"The original Ravnos don't suck because they're racist. The Ravnos suck because they're less cool versions of the Gangrel."

Leave a comment:

• GenerallyConfused
    replied
    Originally posted by Trippy View Post

I can assure you, it's not just confined to these boards.

Leave a comment:

• Crytash
    replied
    I still loved playing my little dark ages Ravnos that became a Baali after he betrayed the coterie and sold out the temple mountain in Jerusalem to some top demons...

Leave a comment:

• Elphilm
    replied
    Tzimisce is not unpronounceable at all (the Tsimiski of modern Greek is simply the modernized spelling of the medieval Tzimiskes).

Ravnos means 'heaven' or 'sky' in some Romani languages, according to several sources. A funny coincidence, that.

Giovanni is a perfectly valid surname in the real world. It mostly applies to people of Italian-American and similar ancestry, but that's beside the point, since the argument is hardly ever that it's not period accurate for medieval Venetians (if that's your criterion, neither is 'Giovani'). Are we going to make fun of real people because their family name also means 'John'?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X