X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CTPhipps
    started a topic Share your unpopular opinions thread

Share your unpopular opinions thread

The unpopular opinion thread. Share what is true in your head or table that you think other players and Storytellers would not agree with.

My first 20

1. The Baali are best when they're just a bunch of evil scumbags selling souls for $$$.

2. The Sabbat is best when they're a bunch of hypocritical fools who are totally ineffective at fighting Elders and following nonsensical paths.

3 The Ravnos are perfectly fine if they're the Indian clan. Not so as anything else.

4. The Anarchs are the greatest thing in Vampire: The Masquerade but get no respect from the game.

5. The True Hand is awesome if you dial it down 20%. It should also be the Inconnu.

6. The Followers of Set were awesome as is.

7. The Assamites are better as a pure blood obsessed murder cult.

8. 1E is the best Edition.

9. Chicago by Night is the greatest supplement ever made.

10. Crossovers are inherently awesome.

11. Malkavians are more fun as mysterious prophets and poets than they are actually mental ill.

12. We should all pretend the Kuei-jin don't exist like some people do the True Hand.

13. Gary is awesome and every NPC in it is pure gold.

14. Menele is worse than Helena.

15. Vampires should be able to fight werewolves.

16. Mithras should never have been diablerized and should be the ruler of the Camarilla.

17. The thing that upsets me most in 5E is Jan Pieterzoon being killed.

18. The Giovanni just stole the Tremere's thing.

19. The Sabbat just stole the Anarch's thing.

20. Saulot was a good guy even if his clan is kind of lame.

• TryingToBeSlim
    replied
    Originally posted by Orphan81 View Post
    1. V20 and it's sourcebook are the best version of Vampire currently available.

2. V5 is a mistake from both mechanics and setting decisions.

3. Onyx path should have been allowed to create their version of "4th Edition"(Onyx Path didn't view V20 as it's own edition) Vampire as announced by Eddy Web before Paradox bought the rights and forced it to 5th edition (This is particularly stinging in light of Paradox dissolving WhiteWolf as it's own thing, and basically giving Onyx Path the rights to create the game as they want to again. Which means Onxy is not working with their vision of the next Vampire, but what a former group who is now irrelevant version of Vampire. Can we get a do over, please?)

4. Masquerade is best when it has the full compliment of it's Gonzo setting, as it allows the most freedom in play. Everything from Street level Anarchs trying to survive in a ruthless Cam city, Elder Campires warring over who controls the city, to road tripping Sabbat bringing the word of Caine like bloodthirsty missionaries to the far corners of the world.

9. Classic wod should never seek to become "Balanced". Trying to make every clan discipline spread or supernatural creature on par with each other is a mistake, lessens the game, and will just lead to headaches.
    Agree with all of the above. This is bascially what I came to say in this thread.

Leave a comment:

• Aleph
    replied
    Originally posted by Ben Linus View Post

It has never been an emulation of the waiting of Time and does not even perform the same deeds. It is a discipline that gives the vampire conditions to control parts of a curse thrown at them, the ability to "freeze" the ages in time because "they are frozen in time." They do not travel or advance the time, only deform, twist and stagnate. Want something more vampiric than that?
    But Truja do travel and advance the time...they have several travel powers and the infamous "True Celerity" that shits on their stagnation and even they know it (the reason it damages the vampire when they do more than one Discipline in the same round)

As a Discipline, it could be much more vampirical than what's written. If I had my way I would eliminate the "Celerity but better/Time 3" of Temporis 5 and the useless Time 1 ripoff of Temporis 1, among other less otrageous but not very thematical powers, to focus the Discipline more in the "stagnation" aspect...and try to make it less about kickassery and more about erudition.

Leave a comment:

• No One of Consequence
    replied
    The lack of effort put into naming the Trujah is exceeded only by that of the WoD Gypsy families.

Leave a comment:

• Ben Linus
    replied
    Originally posted by Leandro16 View Post
    Temporis would make more sense as a Necromancy power/path , it would also help to explain why True Brujah emotions feel DEAD.

As written it is cool becuase Za Warudo but after the hype is gonne the true is that the discipline doesnt make a lot of sense and it just feels like a sphere of time substitute for vampires and doesnt feel like a very vampiric power.The only reason it exist is becuase the rule of cool and the obsesion of previous editions with more and bigger.

True Brujah should be secretly a Ventrue bloodline made by veddartha with Dominate , Necromancy and Fortitude
    It has never been an emulation of the waiting of Time and does not even perform the same deeds. It is a discipline that gives the vampire conditions to control parts of a curse thrown at them, the ability to "freeze" the ages in time because "they are frozen in time." They do not travel or advance the time, only deform, twist and stagnate. Want something more vampiric than that?

Leave a comment:

• CTPhipps
    replied
    I use Temporis in my games, stating that vampires are out of time due to the fact they're dead and alive simultaneously.

I state it's why Celerity works.

Leave a comment:

• Leandro16
    replied
    Temporis would make more sense as a Necromancy power/path , it would also help to explain why True Brujah emotions feel DEAD.

As written it is cool becuase Za Warudo but after the hype is gonne the true is that the discipline doesnt make a lot of sense and it just feels like a sphere of time substitute for vampires and doesnt feel like a very vampiric power.The only reason it exist is becuase the rule of cool and the obsesion of previous editions with more and bigger.

True Brujah should be secretly a Ventrue bloodline made by veddartha with Dominate , Necromancy and Fortitude

Leave a comment:

• Ben Linus
    replied
    Originally posted by Grumpy RPG Reviews View Post

Whut? Can you explain this please?

Here, at least, you are a man after my own. That is what they are in games I run, which feature them.

This is an interesting notion, and a solid one. I suspect the reason it doesn't happen is because the Sabbat of the 15th Century were racists, in addition to being an Inverted Catholic Group. They had no room for paganism, even if the paganism involved ritual bloodshed.

This is also a solid insight. And it points to how the setting is rather ad-hoc, and throw together as books were produced, rather than organically. Yes, surviving Cappadocians - and Salubri - should always have been a part of the Sabbat. We can do that in our home games, even if it is not part of the cannon.

Vampires are contained in a temporal curse that forces them to physical immutability in the embrace. Their own behavior becomes more repetitive and their creativity, although still quite present, does not come into contact with divine inspiration. Other characteristics and groups of vampires take advantage of their curses, for example being banished from the light, a group of them came to control aspects of the darkness.

It is therefore consistent that vampires who are banned from temporal dynamics may be able to control temporal staticity and their dilations. It is important that they can not travel in time, but manipulate the inherent temporal aspects of their curse by controlling the flow or manipulating the decay of an object. It is thematically appropriate.

In addition, there are bases in Eastern Chinese, Buddhist and Japanese mythology, in medieval mythology and pop culture, in the latter case in films such as Byzantium, Thirst, Nadja, The Fankfurt Vampire, Daughters of Darkness and The Addiction.

Leave a comment:

• AzraelFirestorm
    replied
    Originally posted by Illithid View Post
    Golconda should exist for each Road/Path but look different for each. Apotheosis of what the path means

Seconded!!!!!

Ok, here's one:

Vampire in Brooklyn is the most Gothic-Punk vampire movie of the 90s, and it should be listing among other recommended viewing in VtM products.

Oh, and it should be named Eddie Murphy and Angela Bassett Look Amazing. That wardrobe was fierce.

Leave a comment:

• AzraelFirestorm
    replied
    More opinions:

- There should be way more canon Methuselah for every clan. I'd want 5-10 4th Gen Methuselah per clan, with at least twice that number of 5th Gen childer coming from them. This can be framed historically, so some can be (assumed) dead or in Torpor, etc. More childer of the Antediluvians means more up-close perspectives to consider for plot, and it can patch bald spots in the lore.

- The Camarilla should have a Clan spread more similar to the Sabbat, with social room for things like Tzimisce/Lasombra/Ravnos etc Princes and Wangateurs/Nahualli/Ashipu at hand (or even in the Primogen) for magical representation if it'd make more sense than a Tremere. A Samedi Sheriff, Caitiff Archon or a Kiasyd Seneschal should only be as weird as any other group of Kindred. They're all magical blood-drinking corpses. How much weirder can existence get with some diversity?

- We seriously need to define what Angellis Ater and Black Angel actually mean. Are they corrupters? Judges? Job-style Satan-figures testing mankind? Are they Abyss Mystics? Pseudo-Baali? Infernalists? ARE THEY ALL OF THOSE??? Maybe they could be broken up into schools of thought. I could see that.

- Ravnos are cooler than the Toreador and Ventrue put together,

- Elder Tzimisce should be among the founders of the Camarilla, and be some of the staunchest proponents of a strict adherence to the Traditions among the Sect.
    Last edited by AzraelFirestorm; 12-05-2018, 08:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Illithid
    replied
    Originally posted by Muad'Dib View Post
    I do like it as it is currently ; that the Malkavians' distinctive perspectives and tendencies are not associated with, filtered through, or tied to any code of behavior / morality specific to the Clan's inclination for varying insights, madness, and intuitions.

I think some of the rules that detailed Golconda make it so that the Vampire who reached it can't frenzy.
    In regard to Vampires on Paths and Roads - I think it should be possible for them to achieve exalted states of being, but it should be ones different from Golconda ; some slightly, some a lot.
    Golconda should exist for each Road/Path but look different for each. Apotheosis of what the path means

Leave a comment:

• PMárk
    replied
    Originally posted by Cielle View Post
    To my mind, there's only one appropriate response when someone says "you can't" (or more precisely, "you can try but I'll just kill you off") regarding some plot element in an RPG setting:

I much prefer to tell players "you can". I'll come up with some way for the story to get there. And honestly it's just more fun to run a game where you can run wild with the setting rather than try to keep it static - iconoclasm is a pleasure in itself.
    I'd say: you can, but how long will it take and at what cost?

Leave a comment:

• Muad'Dib
    replied
    Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
    * The Malkavians need their own Path.
    I do like it as it is currently ; that the Malkavians' distinctive perspectives and tendencies are not associated with, filtered through, or tied to any code of behavior / morality specific to the Clan's inclination for varying insights, madness, and intuitions.

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
    * Golconda means you don't frenzy and should be available to Path as well as Road followers. It should be a accomplishable by PCs as well as Elders rather than the end of a Chronicle.
    I think some of the rules that detailed Golconda make it so that the Vampire who reached it can't frenzy.
    In regard to Vampires on Paths and Roads - I think it should be possible for them to achieve exalted states of being, but it should be ones different from Golconda ; some slightly, some a lot.
    Last edited by Muad'Dib; 12-03-2018, 12:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• CTPhipps
    replied
    If I could change everything?

* The Tremere diablerized Malkav and the Salubri are a bloodline of the Malkavian.

* So are the Baali.

* The Malkavians discovered Golconda.

* Golconda means you don't frenzy and should be available to Path as well as Road followers. It should be a accomplishable by PCs as well as Elders rather than the end of a Chronicle.

* The Malkavians need their own Path.

* The Malkavians disciplines should be Auspex, Obfuscate, and Chimestry.

* The Path of Paradox fits the Malkavians more than it does the Ravnos.

Leave a comment:

• Leandro16
    replied
    Followers of Set should have a necromancy instead of serpentis

Akhu is already based on a necomantic ritual of soul torture and being based on egypt myths the writters could have used their rich underworld as a theme instead of serpents.

Also the Giovanni are boring and stereotipical , capadocians rule.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X