V5 LARP System

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V5 LARP System

Though I am running a TT game of V5, my primary method of play is LARP. It may however be some time for LARP rules to come out for V5 and enough has changed that I don't think using MET with the V5 Metaplot is sufficient. With that in Mind I started thinking about a simplistic LARP conversion to be able to use the TT book in a LARP setting.

Her are my thoughts:
    1. To make a Test you form a pool just like you would in TT. To perform the Test you roll a single dice and add this to your Pool. We recommend having the die in a pill bottle or something that can be shaken and has a flat surface built in, like the lid of the bottle so you can roll the die easily. This will determine your success in the Test. For every three points your Pool is above 6 you get a success. If you achieve success equal to the difficulty, base 2 if there is no ST present, then you win. Margin is done exactly as in the base book. If you get a margin of 5 or more you have achieved a critical win.
    2. Contests work as per base book.
    3. Rouse Checks work as per base book.
    4. Hunger - Hunger is written on your sheet as a rating of 1 through 5 / 10 minus the rating on the left. for example if your hunger is 5 then you have a 5/6, if it is 2 you have a 2/8. This is used for Bestial Failures and Messy Critical. If you fail a Test and the die you rolled was equal or less than the Left hand number in your hunger you suffer a Bestial Failure this gives you a compulsion. If you Critically Win your Test and the die you rolled is equal to or higher than the Right hand number in your hunger you have a Messy Critical.
    5. instead of a re-roll you may Spend a willpower to add or subtract a success for your Test.

The rest of the game runs as it does in the TT.

These are just the basic ideas I was having and not a finished polished ruleset. I am jotting them down to get some thoughts out. If you don't like V5 and are just posting to say that you don't like V5, please refrain from posting at all. Otherwise please feel free to help out especially if you know the V5 rules and can add some insight. Once We get the basics down we can get them cleaned up for clarity and anyone is free to use them until we get a proper LARP book

I have an issue with the dice in a bottle idea for a larp; I found in the requiem Larps that it pushed players to min-max a lot worse that the MET system did.

I'd recommend the most current By Night Masquerade as a base line; the powers and challenges are already designed with Critical success already in mind, and the physicals have differing powers instead of the "Normal" progression for 1st through V20 edition physical disciplines. The Powers are also a little redesigned for LARP styles of play, but could be easily modified to match the V5 power sets.
    http://www.bynightstudios.com/vampire-the-masquerade/

Hunger Modifications for LARP
    I'd have a static Rock-Paper-Scissors for the rouse test instead of blood spending with a win or draw not increasing hunger.

Have your Hunger as a potential retest before willpower retests; usable once per night per hunger you have.
    If you fail after a Hunger retest; it's a Bestial Failure, if you succeed after a Hunger retest, it's a messy crit.
    You can spend a willpower to ignore messy crit or bestial failure Instead of using it as a retest for that challenge.

Find whatever XP cost works for you for increasing the generation background to represent Blood Potency increasing.

Comment

Honestly, at this point, I wouldn't even worry about trying to come up with ways to do it with a single die, cards or RPS. The ubiquitousness of cell phones and other devices, which aren't any more immersion breaking than throwing RPS or pulling out cards, makes using V5 itself easy. There's an app I have on my phone called Custom Image Dice; you can set the # of sides and give them images. Just get the V5 dice symbols and chuck them on to the app and go. The app even lets you 'lock' dice, which works excellently with Willpower rerolls.

Comment

Illithid I agree, I do not like using the Requiem LARP rules and they do cause min/maxing. I was trying to come up with something that didn't need a lot of changes to get up and running and we could just use the V5 book without to much mess or extensive modification or fuss. So I used the Requiem LARP system as the base since it was the closest thing to using the TT books to play A LARP that had seen before. By night studios is what we are playing now and I really like a lot of what they have done as compared to Requiem.

The hunger modification you proposed is a very good start for what I want.

So:

Difficulty
        05 Routine
        08 Straightforward
        12 Moderate
        16 Challenging
        20 Hard
        24 Very hard
        28 Nearly Imposible

Test Order
        1. Create Test Pool the same way you do in TT.
        2. Play R/P/S. This is called a test
        3. Overbid retest
        4. Hunger Retest
        5. Willpower Retest

Overbid Retest: If your Pool is double the difficulty or opponents pool.
        Hunger Retest: If you have Hunger that you have not used as a retest.
        Willpower Retest: You may take superficial damage to your willpower to get a retest.

Automatic Win: If you have double the pool of the difficulty. can only be declared by ST.
        Win at a cost: Your opponent may concede a win but will set the cost for doing so. This is a mediation.
        Win: A win on a test by symbol or on a tie in which your pool beats the difficulty or opponents pool.
        Critical Win: A win on all tests and retests by symbols when your pool is greater than the difficulty.
        Messy Critical Win: A win on all tests and retests, which includes a Hunger Retest called for by you, by symbols when your pool is greater than the difficulty.
        Fail: A loss on a test by symbol or a tie in which your pool is equal to or lower than the difficulty or opponents pool. Note both players can fail if they have the same pools.
        Bestial Fail: A loss on all tests and retests, which includes a Hunger Retest called for by you, by symbol or on a tie in which your pool is equal to or lower than the difficulty or opponents pool.

Margins
        0 Automatic Win
        1 Win
        2 Critical Win
        4 Messy Critical Win

Comment

Originally posted by thebiglarpnerd View Post
          Honestly, at this point, I wouldn't even worry about trying to come up with ways to do it with a single die, cards or RPS. The ubiquitousness of cell phones and other devices, which aren't any more immersion breaking than throwing RPS or pulling out cards, makes using V5 itself easy. There's an app I have on my phone called Custom Image Dice; you can set the # of sides and give them images. Just get the V5 dice symbols and chuck them on to the app and go. The app even lets you 'lock' dice, which works excellently with Willpower rerolls.
          I'll check that out as well. We are going to have a player meeting soon and a lot of us want to move to V5.

Comment

^ Talk to the players and see what they want, I think that R/P/S keeps it feeling like a Larp instead of a stand up TableTop game, but that's a personal thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwulfe View Post

I'll check that out as well. We are going to have a player meeting soon and a lot of us want to move to V5.
              I have an Android, and it was simple to set up. I think it's available on iPhone as well.

I've played around with it a lot, it seems to do pretty well. It's not super graphic intensive or super pretty but it gets the job done; the dice are flat 'panels' that go through the sides from the rolls, but it looks like the randomization seems fine. When you roll, you can tap to lock the dice you don't want to reroll, then hit the reroll button and it'll reroll everything that you didn't click. Super easy to do for V5 dice.

Here's the export from my copy (which will import the images and the setup of dice sides), it should be able to import directly into the app: https://www.dropbox.com/s/70cig4p0ly...oller.zip?dl=0

The only other major things you'd need to do is really determine ranges and movement in steps.

Comment

Rolling dice in a LARP can be awkward. Since V5 rolls run off a simple 50/50 split between successes and failures, may I suggest playing cards?

Give every player a deck at the start with twenty playing cards. Include ten red cards with numbers from 1-10, ten black cards from 1-10.

When you would roll in TT, just pull the cards out of your pocket, shuffle them, and pull as many cards as you have dice in your pool.

Cards from 1-5 are failures, 6-10 are successes. Compare to difficulty as usual. For a contested roll, compare results as usual.

Succeeding at the roll, while drawing all red cards. = Messy Critical. Either increase your Hunger by 1, gain a Stain, or act out a Compulsion for five minutes for every level of Hunger you have.

Drawing two tens. = a Critical Success. Count the successes from both tens twice. So, two 10s give four successes.

Failing at the roll, while drawing all red cards. = Bestial Failure. The player is subject to a Compulsion for a five minutes for each level of Hunger they have.

Failing at the roll, while drawing all black cards = You may opt to succeed at a cost. You probably need to call an ST.
                The statistical probabilities don't line up perfectly... or, in some cases, at all closely... but it's close enough for a friendly game, and much less complicated than the canon dice system.

For Rouse checks, find an ST (or maybe just another player) as a witness, shuffle your cards and draw a single card. A red card increases your Hunger increases by 1.

As an aside, while writing this I wanted to have the rules for dice rolling handy to make sure I was covering everything. So, I went to V5, p115, to read up on dice rolls. There was nothing there about Hunger dice, though. That was V5, p205. So I had to flip back and forth.

Sigh.

Comment

Nosimplehiway, I really like the idea of using playing cards. Something about it feels LARPish to me. To improve the probability of using cards, I would have each player bring their own deck of cards (A – 10 of all four suits). Rather than pay attention to the numbers on the cards, just use the color. Red fail, black success.

For hunger, deal out the level of hunger first, noting the A’s and 10’s and then the rest of the pool. Then treat Messy Criticals and Beastial Failures just like you would with tabletop.

To keep things honest, both players use the same deck. The opponent of whoever initiates the use of cards hands his deck to the individual using cards, who then cuts the deck and deals out all cards.

Comment

BigGreenSquid

Great idea! I like the immediate visual impact of seeing red or black. It allows for an instantaneous emotional reaction to the draw, without all the left-brain math-iness getting in the way. Well done.

Comment

Working...
                    X