These new Lasombras

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cifer View Post
    Complete invisibility is of course laughable considering the current metaplot. That said, it might be interesting to say that while the Lasombra are unmistakably vampires to every recording device, the distortion does make them unidentifiable (considering how bad modern facial recognition still is, something that twists the image so massively that it can be recognized by everyone is certainly enough to screw with systems). Add a few dots of Potence and some Athletics and new Lasombra could find a position as free-running couriers for technophobic elders, securing their spots in the Camarilla despite centuries of enmity.
    ... now I've got to figure out how to put a good "Mirror's Edge" pun in there.
    This once again makes their bane into a merit and not a Bane. As you point out the benifts to their Bane.

Comment

Why not have the "invisible to Technology" stuff be an amalgam of Oblivion and having the Lasombra Bane? Its not a freebie but comes from "mastery of your bane"

Comment

Wait, are you serious about this?

Because that sounds utterly ridiculous!

Anyone from the last couple decades: Embraced into the Lasombra

"Fuck, how do I use my phone!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
          Wait, are you serious about this?

Because that sounds utterly ridiculous!

Anyone from the last couple decades: Embraced into the Lasombra

"Fuck, how do I use my phone!?"
          They don't lose knowledge of how to use a phone, they come across as static on the other end, much as they don't show up effectively on recording software.

Matthew Dawkins
          In-House Developer for Onyx Path Publishing

Patreon: http://https://www.patreon.com/matthewdawkins

Comment

Well, they can always use their smartphone as a melee weapon held by a shadow tentacle, so that the last thing that the stinking Camarilla stooge hear before you push it into his brain is static.

Banu Haquim - Unless you feed from vampires, they have no real Bane.The other part is not that hard just a weakened Ventrue Flaw
            Brujah - Just Bane Severity to resist frenzy, nothing that hard if you have a young vampire
            Gangrel - Temporary features, ok, lose attributes...Little harsh
            Lasombra - Cant use modern com tech - almost unplayable, wandering masquerade crimes
            Malkavian - Loss of dice in categories
            Ministry (stupid name for a clan) - Bright light can be hard to fight, not unplayable.
            Nosferatu - Get a free flaw and harder to mask, though you can always be hidden through obfuscate , and oh it works on tech as well
            Toreador - Define ugly and you do not like it. Disciplines are hampered - nothing else.
            Tremere - No more mr blood-puppet master against vampires, ok.
            Ventrue - Just a flaw, nothing more.

Not that balanced
            Last edited by Little_Miss_ Serneholt; 11-28-2018, 02:37 PM.

Comment

I think the psychological penalty for failing is too much of an additional bane and is also "this is how to play your character." I think you can have a Lasombra who is a loser and hates his clan for trying to make him a winner above all else.

Just because that's how some people might play it.

It's an extra Bane, basically.

I think a simple compromise would be, "The Lasombra appears as static in recording devices and does not have a reflection in normal mirrors."

Not being able to use a telephone seems a bit problematic because that limits in-game options for, say, a Lasombra to communicate with an NPC or PC.
              Last edited by CTPhipps; 11-28-2018, 02:35 PM.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Maybe you use the Bane severity as a Difficulty reduction on someone thinking it is a Vampire.

So basically, they have a static effect on cameras that does not obscure who they are and they have no reflection in mirrors as they have always had. Phones work fine for them because it is a audio file and not a image file since this is something that only effect imaging devices. If someone views the image file or is watching the feed may investigate it if they wish. If they do they will notice something is off and possibly supernatural on a Int + Tech roll with a difficulty of 6 - Bane Severity. Otherwise they chalk it up to a technical glitch and move on with their life.

They don't automatically break the masquerade as someone like the 2I still has to recognize the effect as supernatural and not a glitch most normals would not even be able to get close to knowing that their is something odd going on and they can't use it to their advantage since they will be recognizable still and they are not hampered with calling someone up or using an apartment intercom system and such.

Comment

I'm not sure what the problem is. The Compulsion won't come up often enough to be a permanent concern and as for Lasombra appearing fuzzy in recordings I think that's thematic and scary. If Lasombra desperately want to use phones, get ghouls and mortal retainers to make calls for them or just send texts or emails. The weakness isn't making them Luddites, it's preventing them from being seen or heard via technology.

Comment

Originally posted by Stannis View Post
                    I'm not sure what the problem is. The Compulsion won't come up often enough to be a permanent concern and as for Lasombra appearing fuzzy in recordings I think that's thematic and scary. If Lasombra desperately want to use phones, get ghouls and mortal retainers to make calls for them or just send texts or emails. The weakness isn't making them Luddites, it's preventing them from being seen or heard via technology.
                    Exactly this. I am reading what everyone else is saying, however. If White Wolf want the Bane to remain as is, the one thing I will stress is that it applies to transmission of visuals and audio so people are clear.

Matthew Dawkins

Comment

Does anyone remember a tv show called ultraviolet? The reason being the Vampires in that had the same weakness as the V5 Lasombra and it worked well. I think the bane might need better clarification but it is atmospheric and it stops the lasombra from having an advantage instead of a clan flaw.

Comment

So how would the Bane work in a historical chronicle like say Dark Ages? No horsies or letters for you?

Comment

Originally posted by Palp View Post
                          So how would the Bane work in a historical chronicle like say Dark Ages? No horsies or letters for you?
                          Not as harshly, as it's just be reflections.

Matthew Dawkins

Comment

Originally posted by Vashna View Post
                            Does anyone remember a tv show called ultraviolet? The reason being the Vampires in that had the same weakness as the V5 Lasombra and it worked well. I think the bane might need better clarification but it is atmospheric and it stops the lasombra from having an advantage instead of a clan flaw.
                            This is basically where I'm at. Also, totally loved Ultraviolet

"The only consistent wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" ~ Socrates

Comment

So what are V5 Lasombra like in summary? Still Mediterranean, Darkness wielding, church fiddling, piracy inclined, chess playing, power mongering, social darwinists? I rather feel that either or both Sabbat clans could be a bit like more Requiem Nosferatu in that there's a clear theme of cthonic otherness about them. It wouldn't be quite the same thing because a.) Nosferatu otherness manifests as more of a handicap with the social implications and b.) Masquerade vampires ultimately have the same origin, Kuei-Jin aside. As I type this, I'm considering that the core concept of Revised Lasombra might have actually been what I wanted anyway. I suppose it come down to how the Abyss, whatever that is now, relates to vampires and how they, especially Lasombra and Hecata, theologically relate to it.

Oh, I suppose that more obvious Requiem common ground would be with Hollow Mekhet, in that another part of them has decayed with death, especially with thenew oblivion-death connection. I never considered Mekhet and Lasombra to be particularly alike, in spite of both being extra sensitive to sunlight and being associated with shadows (that's more figurative in the case of Mekhet).

Originally posted by Vashna View Post
                              That's exactly what I was thinking of. They compensated by using speech synthesers, so I think that they could still input data to a computer using keyboards. As can Hollow Mekhet in Requiem, but they also basically have ghosts that hate them and that can operate during the day.
                              Last edited by Spencer from The Hills; 11-28-2018, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gentleman Gamer View Post
                                Exactly this. I am reading what everyone else is saying, however. If White Wolf want the Bane to remain as is, the one thing I will stress is that it applies to transmission of visuals and audio so people are clear.
                                One of the things I consider is how individuals, or the clan will be affected by the weakness/bane and what that looks like.
                                Old Assamites - Addicted to Vitae- They get viewed as a clan of Diablerists
                                Ventrue - Known to maintain herd of their blood type
                                Nosferatu - Hide from society

Now, the new Lasombra bane - Every Lasombra has a man servant for making calls or using equipment. it's a one point retainer, and they relay all messages for phone calls, or use the ATM for them. The servant ends up like a mage's familiar in D&D and forgotten about most of the time, except when the ST calls for a roll to use tech and the PC says "Wait, I've got someone for this"

Not everyone will do this, but I bet that enough will that it becomes trope-worthy.

But with the design of levels of Banes and the theme of Lasombra past - I don't see this having gone any other way.
                                You need something that can get increasingly bad rather than on/off, cameras and communication is the understandable extension of reflections in Mirrors.
                                Also interested in the 2+ Severity instead of just at severity, since none others (that jump out at me) have that additional penalty

Maybe when communicating by anything other than direct in person conversation, the bane applies to things being taken as they are meant (The spirit) since the reflection was about the soul being missing. A Difficulty increase to get across what you mean.

Comment

Working...
                                X