Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Web Video] So anyone watching LA by Night as hosted by Jason Carl?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Web Video] So anyone watching LA by Night as hosted by Jason Carl?

There's two episodes up on Youtube so far:

Ep1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFyQtOghqwA&t=17s
    Ep2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1in6mv8UTfM
    Ep3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hTAdHmhayA

With the rest of them up on Twitch.

I also did a TV tropes.org page for it: https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.p...ideo/LAByNight

I think it's really good advertising for 5E, personally.

The first 45 minutes of the game were a bit slow but it really picked up when Annabelle showed up, even if she attempts to steal the spotlight a bit too much (we need more Nelli G!)
    Last edited by CTPhipps; 12-04-2018, 03:22 AM.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

I watched the series on Twitch. I agree that Annabelle can be very annoying and a scene stealer. The real-play aspect of it has helped me put into context the rules. I think that is something that is underrated, that sometimes the best way to learn a game system is to watch it played.

Comment

Watched the first episode and I like it. I have VRV so I've been watching it there. I enjoy that the episodes are consistently between 2 and a half hours to 2 and three quarter hours. Makes the series more approachable for me (I like what I've seen of CR but the fact that episodes vary from 2.5 to 5 hours is too much for me)

Comment

I’m two episodes in and enjoying it quite a bit. That’s surprising because I don’t usually like watching other people play RPGs; I never could get into Critical Role, even though the people involved are undeniably talented. But this one has its own tone and pace and subject matter that interest me.

Comment

My thoughts on the episodes so far:

Episode 1#

+ Loved the name drop of Vannevar Thomas as Prince of L.A (and not recognized by most of the Anarchs).

+ I appreciate the simple premise of, "someone is feeding on your turf and it's pissing you off." It's a fairly good example of what could be done in your game when bodies start showing up exsanguinated in areas you like.

+ I appreciate the level Victor goes to brainwash everyone he meets. It shows a nicely paranoid Ventrue elder.

+ Everyone is a little playing up the stereotypes in their initial portrayal but that isn't a bad thing.

+ I like how Jason Carl makes all the mortals idiots. It makes the vampires feel superior and the audience with them.

+ The "bad roll leads to frenzy, leads to making a situation they came to stop worse" was HILARIOUS.

+ I think Annabelle mostly had the situation under control, which made it all the more hilarious how the PCs fucked it up.

+ I do appreciate how they made the story so much more intense about the Masquerade than the way players usually play it.

+ It's a small world after all--so of all the people in the world for Annabelle to be dating, it's Victor's son.

+ Isaac Abrams is a lot more sinister in this version but then again, he's dealing with people who don't kill Elders out of hand like the Bloodlines PC.

+ You know, for Anarchs, they sure do act like Hounds for a Prince.

+ The Tremere is clearly of House Carna

+ I do like how Annabelle doesn't jump in and start killing people.

+ MACNEIL!?

Episode 2#

+ The fact the guy they screwed up feeding on was killed by a hit and run is really well done. Personally, I think it's very possible he just ran into traffic because his blood was low and his brain had been fried.

+ Ah, an abandoned factory. The perfect adventuring location.

+ I like how the player characters react to the glowing red eyes by rushing at them ala PCs in D&D.

+ Chaz is delightful as a Toreador. He's greatly over-the-top but he wouldn't be too out of place in the 1950s as a snobby Country Club goer--which is appropriate given how out of touch elders tend to be.

+ I like Nelli G being a diablerist. That's a nice bit of backstory there.

+ I love how she snubs Chaz by taking him to a B-list Valley club instead of an A-list Hollywood one. That's something only a Toreador would think of.

+ I appreciate that the players are willing to hear out Chaz in betraying the Anarchs. They are, after all, still vampires.

Episode 3#

+ I have no idea if X is a Fishmalk or awesome. It could go either way.

+ Ramona!

+ I love how Annabelle keeps chasing Jasper even though he's trying not to KILL her.
          Last edited by CTPhipps; 12-01-2018, 05:25 PM.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
            My thoughts on the episodes so far:

Episode 2#

+ The fact the guy they screwed up feeding on was killed by a hit and run is really well done. Personally, I think it's very possible he just ran into traffic because his blood was low and his brain had been fried.
            Actually, I think Abrams whacked him. Annabelle said "we researched" and then tried to lie to him, IIRC we didn't see how Abrams rolled... and he went away afterwards for a phone call. I bet he had a minion take care of the masquerade breach in the making.

Comment

I'm loving the series. Can't wait for the next episode tomorrow. Annabelle might be a bit annoying but its very in character. Shes playing a fledgling millennial. Sounds accurate. :P

The series is a good example of how hunger rolls effect gameplay without derailing player agency.

Comment

Episode 3# just dropped on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hTAdHmhayA

X will be a character I think everyone loves, hates, or both. He's a Malkavian who is "silly" and a prankster but covering up his serious mental illness (that is because he saw the Beast).

Comment

Working...
                X