Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NYCBN or Chicago by Night

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • NYCBN or Chicago by Night

    So as I go through the V5 book I think I have decided to run a V5 game. Watching some games on youtube I think I like the way the system works. My mind has been changed to at least give it a shot. So now I'm back to trying to settle on a setting. I love both New York by Night and Chicago...but I cannot decide which. So I throw it out to the internet - pros and cons for running either setting!
    annnnnnd.....go!

  • #2
    Originally posted by Schwartzung View Post
    So as I go through the V5 book I think I have decided to run a V5 game. Watching some games on youtube I think I like the way the system works. My mind has been changed to at least give it a shot. So now I'm back to trying to settle on a setting. I love both New York by Night and Chicago...but I cannot decide which. So I throw it out to the internet - pros and cons for running either setting!
    annnnnnd.....go!
    Why not do them both? Transplant all the Chicago NPCs to New York and add the New York NPCs.

    I did that for one of my chronicles.


    Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post

      Why not do them both? Transplant all the Chicago NPCs to New York and add the New York NPCs.

      I did that for one of my chronicles.

      Because both cities have a very different feel. I've been to both several times and yeah the books did successfully translate the vibe of each city fairly well. New York being cold yet hip. Chicago being a complex diverse boiling pot. I can't layer the vibes together. Plus, both stories according to canon are the exact opposite. I guess I should have mentioned that. I also love the books and the canon for each but can't decide.

      Comment


      • #4
        Well I love Chicago and it has a lot more NPCs but to each their own.


        Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

        Comment


        • #5
          I'm partial to Chicago because, as a native New Englander, I'm required to hate the Yankees.

          Comment


          • #6
            If you've not run much before, having the book in the right system that you're playing will be very helpful

            Comment


            • #7
              I've been running VTM for...over 20 years...god, I'm old.
              But I'm digging the system that V5 presents. At least owe it to give it a try since I dropped a lot of money on it LOL.
              I have almost every book VTM has ever produced, so the knowledge isn't the problem. Its just indecision.
              I love the "starting new" of NYC but I also love the established, changing world of Chicago. Especially with the new Chicago book

              Comment


              • #8
                The inherent viewpoint of V5 ("we're a bunch of newbies who may not even really understand how all this vampire-stuff works, though it is clearly worse than just being human. Oh, and the elders are either dead or fled") might fit strangely in NYC. Even Chicago might be a little too polished for the new tone. They both have a "dee-luxe apartment in the sky" feel, when V5 is more about muddling through.

                Are Chicago and NYC the only options on the table? Some next tier cities might work well. I'm thinking Philadelphia, Baltimore, or Pittsburgh? Or, maybe, outlying areas of the cities you mention, like Gary, Rockford, Newark, or Long Island? A New York chronicle tightly focused on, say, the Bronx or Jersey City could find an interesting angle on the traditional NY setting. Explore a theme of amazing things happening just on the other side of the bridge, but the pcs are just trying to survive in their own neighborhood... at least at first.

                Plus, slightly smaller cities have easier vampire communities for the ST to manage. That way you can spend some energy mastering the new system before jumping into the deep end of big-city vampire politics.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Nosimplehiway View Post
                  The inherent viewpoint of V5 ("we're a bunch of newbies who may not even really understand how all this vampire-stuff works, though it is clearly worse than just being human. Oh, and the elders are either dead or fled") might fit strangely in NYC. Even Chicago might be a little too polished for the new tone. They both have a "dee-luxe apartment in the sky" feel, when V5 is more about muddling through.


                  Ha! See? I'm old enough to get that reference!


                  Originally posted by Nosimplehiway View Post
                  Are Chicago and NYC the only options on the table? Some next tier cities might work well. I'm thinking Philadelphia, Baltimore, or Pittsburgh? Or, maybe, outlying areas of the cities you mention, like Gary, Rockford, Newark, or Long Island? A New York chronicle tightly focused on, say, the Bronx or Jersey City could find an interesting angle on the traditional NY setting. Explore a theme of amazing things happening just on the other side of the bridge, but the pcs are just trying to survive in their own neighborhood... at least at first.

                  Plus, slightly smaller cities have easier vampire communities for the ST to manage. That way you can spend some energy mastering the new system before jumping into the deep end of big-city vampire politics.


                  True. The biggest reason(s) for using those settings are 1 - I'm lazy and 2 - I don't have as much time as I used to with doing all the adult stuff that comes with being an adult. But these are also good ideas. I kind of did that in a CbN chronicle a few yrs ago that fizzled out and kept to their neighborhood mostly while running around doing errands for elders and getting roped into politics. I also could do a Gary starting point. I've done that before too but was always in a rush to get to Chicago. Maybe taking it slow this time would be more interesting. Hmmmm

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X