[Vampire 1st Edition] Chicago By Night and other books [Spoiler warning]

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Vampire 1st Edition] Chicago By Night and other books [Spoiler warning]

Just curious. Is this book worth getting, I flipped through the pages in an RPG shop and there seem to be quite some boogus characters and stuff:

* We have 2 Methusalehs who war there for no other reason than pure hatred of each other.
    * We have a 12th generathion Brujah with 20 Blood points and can use 4 per turn
    * We have more characters with humanity 10 in the CbN book Series than in all of the revised books.
    * So many people in and nearing Golconda that it feels like this is Inconnu's capital

and more...

Originally posted by Little_Miss_ Serneholt View Post
    Just curious. Is this book worth getting, I flipped through the pages in an RPG shop and there seem to be quite some boogus characters and stuff:

* We have 2 Methusalehs who war there for no other reason than pure hatred of each other.
    * We have a 12th generathion Brujah with 20 Blood points and can use 4 per turn
    * We have more characters with humanity 10 in the CbN book Series than in all of the revised books.
    * So many people in and nearing Golconda that it feels like this is Inconnu's capital

and more...
    Chicago by Night is largely considered to be the best supplement ever made for V:TM and arguably the best gaming supplement ever created. Take note, however, it was also the THIRD or FOURTH (depending on how you count) Vampire supplement EVER so there were some elements that were not necessarily willing to jive with later interpretations of the game. I recommend reading this retrospective (by me) on RPG.net.

https://forum.rpg.net/index.php?thre...edition.73239/

The stats are a frequent subject of complaint but if your issue is that Humanity 0 and Humanity 10 are not like they were later retconned as being in Revised, then the problem isn't the book's.

I'm also not sure how Elders (Methuselehs or not) hating each other is a problem either. Would you please elaborate?

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Chicago by Night 1st edition, the Gary write up in the rule book (second Editions fine), the Succubus Club, and Milwaukee by Night is as big a world as you need. I would never recommend the second edition CbN or any of the silly adventures. Typos aside like blood pool and unrealistic humanity numbers just come from being such an early setting. It's the vibe that people fell in love with, it's wonderfully fleshed out with a rich history. I prefer to kill off and not kill off people more organically than well it's the end of this module so these folks are dead, oh second edition is out so these folks are gone and these lived.

I think of it like albums. You have your whole life thus far to write that first one. The second Album has some left over stuff that didn't fit in the first and a few new songs, third album gets a little formulaic. Chicago by Night first edition had the most love poured into it I think, Gary and Milwaukee were great follow ups ?(ok Gary was first and has a great vibe). Stuff that followed didn't have as clear or unified a vision. The Midwest barring the adventures felt like they belonged in the same world they complimented each other very well. I liked other city books, but these are to me the best.

Chicago by Night 5th edition if I get it may very well be the only 5th edition book I buy. Not to run it, just to read it for old times sake and to see one persons interpretation of how things in Chicago turned out.

Comment

Mr Phipps, I will answer your questions when I get back from riding contests this weekend.

Just Curious: Genghis, is he Brujah or Caitiff. It says in his statblock that "Like most Caitiffs, he has no influence on the world" but he is among the BRujah chapters

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
          Chicago by Night is largely considered to be the best supplement ever made for V:TM and arguably the best gaming supplement ever created.
          What are the reasons you consider it to be "arguably the best gaming supplement ever created" ?

Comment

Originally posted by Muad'Dib View Post
            What are the reasons you consider it to be "arguably the best gaming supplement ever created" ?
            In a small respect, I think it's because Chicago by Night effectively created Vampire: The Masquerade as we presently know it. The Green BookTM (1st Edition) was great but it only gave the barest hints of how a V:TM campaign or city might work. Much of what we think of as the interactions between Elders, Anarchs, Sabbat, and Methuselehs were all created by CBN. It laid the groundwork for the next decade of material and how the Jyhad function (the Antediluvians control everything but they do that through their pawns who control other pawns).

The book also came a time when tabletop games were at a transitional period. Dungeons and Dragons had backed away from adult material due to the "soccer mom crisis" to become somewhat generically PG-13 and more adult material like Call of Cthulhu was somewhat niche within a niche. Chicago by Night, by contrast, presented a realistic and adult world with a variety of counter-culture nods as well as a diverse mixture of NPCs both women, black, gay, straight, and more. It opened up a whole new world to other kinds of players who previously didn't necessarily feel unwelcome might not feel INVITED.

CBN's success also opened the door for many later supplements set around the area before it became a global affair.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post

Chicago by Night is largely considered to be the best supplement ever made for V:TM and arguably the best gaming supplement ever created.
              I mean, I like it a lot but I'm not sure in which quarters it's largely considered the best supplement ever made for V:TM or the best gaming supplement ever created. It's a good city book (up there with L.A. and Montreal in quality) but has ridiculous power bloat, Humanity scales, and some dreadful stereotypes. I think this is why the V5 version has pleased me so much. It's the refined version of the book.

Comment

First edition Chicago By Night has the merits and flaws of being such an early product. It has GREAT ideas. You can really feel the creative juices flowing. But it also badly needs editing and a more sober mind to make it a bit more down to earth.

People should use it with a mindset that to not use it as is out of the box, but to selectively edit it to better fit common sense (some of the stats for the various NPCs) and make it more like a canonical city nowadays with all the benefit of years of additional ideas. Thus while Neally is the Seneschal in all but name, make him officially the seneschal. Make Sheriff the sheriff. Power down some of the anarchs and recently created neonates.

However, there are definitely inconsistencies between the book and "how it's done now" that I would keep in CBN's favor. I like it better how in CBN only those powerful elders who can prove to other elders that they must take their views into consideration can become primogen (thus there are multiple Brujah among the primogen even though the clan overall does not have much influence, while there are no Ventrue primogen despite the clan collectively being the most powerful). I like that much better than today's "every clan has its primogen" which seemed to spawn out of LARP as a result of the player's democratic tendencies. But everyone's tatse is different.

Comment

Working...
                X