X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cgunning
    started a topic V5 Combat question with multiple opponents

V5 Combat question with multiple opponents

So I have a scene where a Kindred confronts the players coterie and discovers that, because of actions he has committed, his touchstone has been killed. He falls into the Wassail and boom- I have a self preservation combat to end the Chapter.
    I am using the antagonist section stats for the Wight, but physical stats bumped to 5 due to the Wassail. There are 5 players and 1 Antagonist.
    So I understand that my SPC can only split dice pools to attack multiple individuals and the rest of the rules except for one- Defense pool.
    Dex + Brawl vrs Dex + Brawl... highest margin wins and damage is dealt Margin + potence ( or weapon damage if applicable)
    Rules then say that after the first, the defense pool drops per attacking character after that.
    So does that mean that my defense pool is my Dex+ Brawl because that was what I used to attack? lets say 8 dice in Dex + Brawl, so second attack I have 7 defense pool to roll and third 6 etc ?
    Is there only damage rolled on first attack since I am not splitting dice if this is the case? If dice are split to attack two PC's is my Defense pool dropped even further for each additional attacks made against SPC?
    I just can't see making one attack and then getting full attacks with no defense from all the other PCs and the multiple opponents section mentions defense is decreased by 1 per extra opponent but what actually makes the defense pool after attack or dodge is made?

Love V5 but have problems locating all the rules in one place and Defense Pool is confusing me for some reason more than anything else so far.

If I were to do it my way I would go with my example but only the first attack would do damage and all of the rest would be considered just defense so no damage if the SPC won the roll, but I just want to know officially if this is the correct way.

Appreciate any help anyone gives

• Redwulfe
    replied
    Each combatant in a conflict gets one action, one discipline activation, and some minor actions. In your example the SPC could only harm one of his attackers this is a two-sided conflict. Both sides are acting against each other. If the SPC splits his active dice he can engage in a two-sided conflict with multiple people. If all combatants are using unarmed combat, fists or claws, then each of their active dice pools would be would be Dex +Brawl. Anyone the SPC doesn’t have a two-sided conflict with is in a one-sided conflict with and can only use defense. This can still be Dex + Brawl if he wishes but you can always choose to defend with Dex + Athletics as well in either case because it is a one-sided conflict the SPC could not harm his opponent.

To give an example if you have 5 PCs and the SPC. First everyone declares their action for the round. The book says PCs then SPCs but I like to allow the PCs to know what the SPCs are doing ot save time as you get a lot more players trying to delay their actions if they don't know what hte SPCs are doing yet.

After declaration you resolve the actions in the following order:
    1. Characters already engaged in close combat.
    2. Character with ranged actions.
    3. Characters that move to engage in a new close combat.

If two or more characters would have actions to be resolved in the same step then the tie is broken by Dex + Wits or alternatively if you wish by Initiative which is Composure + Awareness or Dexterity + Awareness. You can also as an option just decide that the whole combat doesn't use the steps at all and is resolved by Initiative order. In any case I would suggest being constant in every combat and not switching between the options.

So to follow your example lets say that everyone declared to attack the SPC and the SPC declared to attack PC3 and they are all already engaged in close combat. After declaration we would resolve the conflict and I like using Dex + Awareness order in each step. Lets say this gives us PC2, PC4, PC3, SPC, PC1, PC5 for our order.

First up PC2 attacks the SPC since the SPC did not declare to attack PC1 this would be a one-sided conflict and the SPC could use his Dex + Brawl since he is Brawling or Dex + Athletics as he always has the option to substitute that pool. Only PC1 can harm the SPC at this time and once done PC2's action is over.

Next is PC4 gets a swing. This is exactly as above but the SPC loses one die from his defense pool for the second attacker. PC4 is done.

Then PC3 gets to go. Since PC3 is the SPCs target they are both resolved now with a Dex + Brawl vrs Dex + Brawl conflict. This is not a defense for the SPC since it was his action so he does not take a penalty to his pool and he can now harm the PC as this is a Two-sided conflict. PC3 and the SPC are done.

Next would normally be the SPC but since he acted above he does not suddenly get another action.

Then we have PC1 who goes and the SPC is once again in a one-sided conflict. His defense pool is reduced by three because even though he was in a two-sided conflict with PC3 he was still targeted by that opponent so he losses 3 dice because he was targeted four times this turn.

A couple of things to note:
    1. You can take as many minor actions as your ST will allow but their should be a dice penalty for doing so also determined by the ST.
    2. You may use as many passive disciplines as you wish but you can only activate on discipline a turn.
    3. Damage is margin + weapons base damage.
    4. Combat in V5 is quick and deadly.
    5. Their are a few optional actions which are abstract to be able to use in many different ways. I would stick to the basics for now and then add them when you are ready.

Hope that helps. I will write up a complex conflict in a bit from a combat that I ran in one of my games. it mixes in social combat and discipline use as well as grappling into the mix so It will take a bit.
    Last edited by Redwulfe; 12-10-2018, 11:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X