What if we Tremerified another Mage Group

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if we Tremerified another Mage Group

So what if in Modern Nights another Mage Tradition or Craft or Convention or Hell even a group of Mauraders or Nephandi signed up to be like the next Tremere?

So what I mean is like a subgroup makes a conspiracy to become Vampires, either by Self embracing like Nagarajah or Tremere or being embraced by a potent Vampire like the Giovanni.

What are some ideas? And which group do you think would be the most interesting?

I can just imagine some Etherite enclave self embracing after say they darted and contained Lasombra when exploring the Abyss or Hell they pluck Ilyes out of Limbo and deciding they had to take advantage of this opportunity and developing a Thaumatech discipline. Or an order of Akashics wanting to wipe out their ancient enemies in the Euthanatoi and Wu Lung.

Big things I consider when thinking about which would be the most interesting:

What would be the over all composition of the new Clan/Bloodline and their discipline spread and their new discipline/blood magic.

How they go about trying to subvert their parent group.

And what enemies they would have?

It is a time for great deeds!

I see the embrace a way to get out of deals involving the avatar. This provides a method for mages who've gotten too deep in infernalism to taint the goods and make their avatars useless maybe to their infernal masters.

The Wu-Keng present an option as they choose vampirism as a way to allow them to extend their power and lives without having to hand their souls over to the their spirit masters.

I could see a group of CoE doing it as a way to expand their opportunities for sensation over centuries and to free from the normal needs of the body. I think it'd be a hoot if temporis became their signature and now you had the True Brujah and the converted CoE on veeeeery opposite sides of the experience spectrum with the same time manipulating powers.

I'm curious how a mage with their avatar on phylactery would react to the embrace. Their soul is external and would be untainted by the embrace (or someone could rule it were) and this could kind of become another way to achieve lichdom. I picture a mage using entropy and time magic to create hanging effects to immediately kill their sire after their embrace.

Comment

It took a lot of work, some blind luck, and pissing off multiple clans for the Tremere to fall into vampirism. And when it was found to have happened they had a bullseye on their heads from the other houses.

Unless the new house had been following the Tremere's research, it would be hard to explain another group of mages sacrificing their power. Not to mention they might just be destroyed on sight by the Tremere for trying to move into their territory among the clans.

Comment

Originally posted by Kael03 View Post
        It took a lot of work, some blind luck, and pissing off multiple clans for the Tremere to fall into vampirism. And when it was found to have happened they had a bullseye on their heads from the other houses.

Unless the new house had been following the Tremere's research, it would be hard to explain another group of mages sacrificing their power. Not to mention they might just be destroyed on sight by the Tremere for trying to move into their territory among the clans.
        They were able to gain vampirism without too much difficulty, it's when they tried to get an antediluvian that things got messy.

Also, with the V5 continuity, the Tremere don't really have the centralization that previously marked them. It could be a group that allies with the Tremere to make blood sorcery the true power of vampirism.

Finally any new group could be not quite vampires. In the same way the Kuei-jin are distinct from the kindred and the hsien are distinct from the kithain, there could be some semi-vampire process that produces them that feed on something that brings them into conflict or at least allows the trade-off of options for immortality.

Comment

It took a few decades to come up with the potion that turned them into vampires. They discovered the failing magicks before the end of the first millennium and weren't turned until 1022. That's after getting at least the Tzimisce wanting blood with the experiments to make said potion. I wouldn't call that "without too much difficulty". Not to mention as soon as they woke up undead, most of the original group wanted Goratrix dead at that moment.

Even with the destruction of the Pyramid, this new group wouldn't be welcomed with open arms. They would have to deal with the same trials the Tremere did even after they diablerized Saulot. Plus with the Second Inquisition running rampant, they have other factors to deal with. Even if they aren't same style vampires.

Comment

If you Tremerified the Sons of Ether, you'd end up with something like Grandpa Munster: a vampire who doubles as Doctor Frankenstein.

Comment

I think that the way to go is for a small group to become vampire like. A possible route would be a SCIENCE! procedure that harnesses blood and converts it into quint to power various effects. The downside being paradox flaws akin to vampire banes. Surely they can be circumvented with a little field-testing...

So, this Zen Master walks up to a hot dog stand and says: "Make me one with everything!"

Comment

Void Engineers might be interesting. They have a shaky relationship with the other Conventions, and a predilection for taking risks to advance their knowledge of the universe. Could vampirism help them in exploring the rigors of their many final frontiers? Or would it prevent them from exploring, while never losing their desire to do so?

I'm guessing they would be built from Toreador stock, as they tend to be focused on the wonder and glory of discovery.

Les Voyageurs

aka Explorers, Searchers, Inspectors

Disciplines: Auspex, Celerity, Dominate.

V20 Weakness: They suffer from the Toreador weakness, except in regards to newly encountered and unusual environments.

V5 Weakness: At the beginning of each scene, the Explorer is compelled to examine their environment. They must succeed at a Wits+Investigation roll, difficulty equal to their Blood Potency. Once they have achieved this roll, they may move on to other actions.

Comment

Originally posted by PhillyCuriosity View Post
                  I could see a group of CoE doing it as a way to expand their opportunities for sensation over centuries and to free from the normal needs of the body. I think it'd be a hoot if temporis became their signature and now you had the True Brujah and the converted CoE on veeeeery opposite sides of the experience spectrum with the same time manipulating powers.
                  Seriously, Cultists of Ecstasy turning themselves into Vampires ? This would mean a very considerable shift of their Kamamargas, assuming they would keep this idea after becoming Vampires ( or maybe it wouldn't be much of a change, for some ) . I think they definitely wouldn't get Temporis as one of their three Disciplines. This Discipline belongs to the True Brujah ( and a few other Vampires, maybe ? ) . But Celerity seems appropriate. And they should have Thaumaturgy ( with maybe some ecstatic variant, either with just details changed, or with some new Paths ) and Presence as the two other of their Disciplines. They would need to be careful to not end up pretending to be Toreadors, and to correct any misunderstandings in regard to this that might come up.
                  Last edited by Muad'Dib; 12-19-2018, 04:45 PM.

Comment

Whichever faction supplies the mages, many of the vampiric traits... disciplines, weakness, and compulsion... likely depend on where they got vampirism in the first place. The Tremere ate their way up with Tzimisce or, maybe, Old Clan Tzimisce. They got Auspex and Dominate.

Had they nabbed some Nosferatu, they might have had different disciplines. Animalism, because witches have familiars, right? Obfuscate, because the clan is tricky and sneaky, yeah? Thaumaturgy would be their own thing. Who knows? Maybe their weakness would be being clearly and obviously supernatural, albeit not necessarily ugly.

So, if we're blue-skying what a second group of mages signing up for being undead might be like, it could go a lot of different ways.

The Ecstatics? Well, I could see a cabal of them being seduced by the Setites. So, Obfuscate, Presence, and Auspex might make sense. Assuming, that is, they don't adapt Setite Sorcery to their former paradigm, or assgrab a whole new discipline.

Comment

Originally posted by Nosimplehiway View Post
                      The Ecstatics? Well, I could see a cabal of them being seduced by the Setites. So, Obfuscate, Presence, and Auspex might make sense. Assuming, that is, they don't adapt Setite Sorcery to their former paradigm, or assgrab a whole new discipline.
                      I think if this hypothetical group does not have a kind of Blood Magic as an innate Discipline, then they aren't a "former Mages who became Vampires" group like the Tremere and the Nagaraja are.

Comment

Originally posted by Muad'Dib View Post
                        I think if this hypothetical group does not have a kind of Blood Magic as an innate Discipline, then they aren't a "former Mages who became Vampires" group like the Tremere and the Nagaraja are.
                        It depends, if the group wasn't using classic magic, and their hallmark is conceptually close to a Discipline...

Of course it would be different (in a certain way because they wouldn't have blood magic.

For the Ecstatic group I could imagine granting Discipline related rituals (like Abyss Mysticism) with one of their Clan Disciplines.

So, this Zen Master walks up to a hot dog stand and says: "Make me one with everything!"

Comment

Originally posted by Nonsense View Post

It depends, if the group wasn't using classic magic. (...)
                          What is 'classic magic' ? Can you define it at least a bit ?
                          Mages of the Cult of Ecstasy can use Foci and have approaches that are similar to ones used by the Order of Hermes or other Mages that could be considered to be using the 'classic magic' ; in such cases it would be the Ecstatic's' outlooks, beliefs, and attitude that would differ.

Comment

Mages of the Cult of Ecstasy can use Foci and have approaches that are similar to ones used by the Order of Hermes or other Mages that could be considered to be using the 'classic magic' ; in such cases it would be the Ecstatic's' outlooks, beliefs, and attitude that would differ.
                            I think the idea is Full on Sorcery Occulty stuff versus things that Vampires May instead adapt in the form of mysticism and mesmerism. So magic spells vs hey I’m meditating and I can control time and do some mind tricks.

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

I meant that if the group wasn't using witchcraft high ritual magic or demonology (practices classically associated with magic) then the resulting bloodline won't necessarily have Blood Magic as in Clan.

In case of ecstatics you wouldn't need Blood Magic to “get them right“.
                              ST choice of Auspex, Presence, Temporis, Fortitude, Obfuscate, because all hit the mark.

And to return to the Tremere, they have not retained all of their magic in form of Blood Magic. Some was lost (Teleportation, Versatility and raw power (Forces) some was gained as a Discipline (Auspex and Dominate).

So it wouldn't be a far shot to give the “Bloodstatics“ Auspex, Fortitude and Obfuscate without Temporis.
                              They would retain their prophetic abilities (kinda) but loose their Time manipulating powers.
                              Last edited by Nonsense; 01-02-2019, 08:18 PM. Reason: missing word

Comment

Working...
                              X