Endless Night

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Endless Night

So the Giovanni are - or were - pursuing a plan called the Endless Night. This involved capturing 100 million or go ghosts, to power a ritual that would destroy the barrier between the lands of the living and the lands of the dead. The Johns believe this will allow them to rule the world. There are several handicaps, not the least of which is accumulating enough soul to populate a medium sized nation.

What if a modified version of the Endless Night were possible? Rather than destroying the shroud world-wide, it simply destroys the Shroud in a region? So, the Family performs the smaller version of the ritual, consumes several thousand souls, and is able to destroy the Shroud in Venice, or Boston, or someplace similar.

What are your thoughts on this variation?

One of the things never talked about is the Shroud is what protects ghosts from most of the Vampiric Powers. If there was no shroud the presence and Dominate will enslave them just like living mortals, not to mention Potence...

It is a time for great deeds!

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post
      One of the things never talked about is the Shroud is what protects ghosts from most of the Vampiric Powers. If there was no shroud the presence and Dominate will enslave them just like living mortals, not to mention Potence...

SHroud is also pwhat protects most Kindred from WRAITH powers.... I'd Necromancers come off profoundly worse with a dropped shroud.

Comment

i'm not sure the shroud can be torn quite so dramatically (but still locally) and not either repair itself, or break entirely. If it were to be destroyed in a city, i can see it would be like the single gap in a fence - thousands of Wraiths would flock to it and use that place to crawl through before spreading out. i'm not sure anyone could cope with that influx of entities without hitting a breaking point. As much as i hate to use an sort of Immigration reference, i think there would be a number of parallels there, with the downside of no customs, very little in the way of a system of processing them before they escape, and the very real danger of the people on the ground being mobbed by the masses.

Comment

And that is why it would be dramatic.

Comment

Originally posted by Eldagusto View Post

The shroud is also what keeps the Neverborn and the Oblivion on the other side of existence. I don't know how potence will help you as the universe dye in nothingness.

Comment

I have taken Dust to Dust, and rewritten it so that is in the oldest and most haunted town in Kansas, Atchison. I added a lot of plot, rewrote a lot of it, but the necromancer Character in it has a ritual that does it on a small town scale. I just finished it up and my PC's took her out before she could complete the ritual. They did pass the ritual on to the local Giovanni that had secured permission to have her removed. So i wrote up the below.....

Mortem Afferet: (Level 5 Ritual) The ritual consists of creating a “barrier” around the city by tracing its borders on a map with iron
              dust. Then saying a prayer for the dying in Latin, a mortal representation of the city is then sacrificed. As the necromancer crushes
              the life out of the mortal, she pulls her spirit out and destroys it, crushing it into the section of the map. The section of the map
              marked off by the iron dust turns black.
              What exactly happens depends on Intelligence + Occult DC 8:

1 - 3 Successes The section of the map inside the border of iron dust blackens and burns. Around you, you feel something
              change. Colors dim, the air grows stagnant and musty, and the temperature drops ten degrees. The spell starts
              driving out the rest of Atchison’s residents. Businesses close, people move away, social services falter, and
              within a year or two the city is effectively a ghost town. This brings in sociologists and researchers trying to figure
              out why people left a perfectly good (or at least livable) city behind, but mortals aren’t really equipped to
              understand the truth of what happened.

4 - 6 Successes The section of the map inside the border of iron dust blackens and burns. Around you, you feel something
              change. Colors dim, the air grows stagnant and musty, and the temperature drops ten degrees. The life ebbs out
              of Atchison over the next few days. People become listless, those who are already seriously ill die, and the city
              becomes muted and quiescent. Vampires are unaffected. Ghosts immediately become slaves to the caster.

7+ Successes A maelstrom of ghosts and death bursts forth from the map. Around you, you feel something change. Colors dim,
              the air grows stagnant and musty, and the temperature drops ten degrees. It doesn’t harm living people, but
              vampires suffer five dice of aggravated damage immediately. Over the next few hours, the barrier between the
              worlds of the living and dead becomes paper thin. Ghosts materialize to haunt, terrify, or just contact their living
              anchors and family. Supernatural beings of all kinds flock to the area to investigate, correct the problem, feed on
              the chaos, or punish those responsible.

Comment

Originally posted by chipotlechris View Post
                i'm not sure the shroud can be torn quite so dramatically (but still locally) and not either repair itself, or break entirely. If it were to be destroyed in a city, i can see it would be like the single gap in a fence - thousands of Wraiths would flock to it and use that place to crawl through before spreading out. i'm not sure anyone could cope with that influx of entities without hitting a breaking point. As much as i hate to use an sort of Immigration reference, i think there would be a number of parallels there, with the downside of no customs, very little in the way of a system of processing them before they escape, and the very real danger of the people on the ground being mobbed by the masses.

If there was a region with lower shroud, or no shroud, then Wraiths could manifest or use powers, but out of that hole or pit and the shroud still exists. (mostly) that wouldn't let the ghost do things any easier once on the other side.

Eg- "In a cemetery on a moonless midnight, crossing over is far easier." but that doesn't mean that Ghosts come out from the cemetery (much)

Comment

Working...
                X