Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Fall of London Chronicle for V5 is Announced!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Fall of London Chronicle for V5 is Announced!

It's by Modiphius!
    https://m.facebook.com/Modiphius/pho...=page_internal
    they are the manager of the world of Darkness brand now. But don't think white wolf is out of the loop,white wolf will still dictate the general direction of the World of Darkness!
    Last edited by Nicolas Milioni; 12-20-2018, 12:55 PM.

One can hope they will still dictate the direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwulfe View Post
      One can hope they will still dictate the direction.
      It was confimerd to me by Dhaunae de Vir

Comment

My hope is that we'll get to kill Mithras.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

I'd be happier with a chronicle about reclaiming London. That could be a great setting. A no man's land, the still present threat of the Inquisition, the old system gone, but riches left behind.

But it could work out, if it was written well.

If nothing worked, then let's think!

Comment

This sounds like a very fun concept for a chronicle. I'll be interested in seeing how it turns out.

Comment

With Mithras' second in command being from the Clan of Death, maybe we'll get some Hecata info in this Chronicle.

Comment

Wow! Hope they don't forget anything on the metaplot for it.

World of Darkness 1st ed and 2nd ed.

Giovanni Chronicles II:
                - Lady Astor, Lasombra priscus
                - early, and different concept of Victoria Ash

DC by Night:
                - Marcus Vitel actually learning Thaumaturgy there in the British Isles, perhaps a tie-in with Durham chantry section in the House of Tremere book.

London by Night:
                - 121 Mithras meeting with Haqim
                - The fall of the Triumvirate
                - 1212 Mithras clash with Horus
                - Juliet Parr, current Justicar (IIRC) came from this book

Victorian Age Trilogy:
                - since most of what's happened there is in Beckett's Jyhad Diary with the exception of Mithras apparently being responsible for Jack the Ripper murders.

Beckett's Jyhad Diary:
                - Monty Coven/Mithras claiming knowledge of where sleeping methuselah were, of which I guess he meant Tiamat (Diablerie Britain) or Bodhmall (London by Night).

What happened to the Tremere? It was Edward Bainbridge who was responsible for the London chantry (if he survived Valerius staking him in the Victorian Age trilogy). Grimgroth Inner Council of the entire region, though IIRC, he was in either Spain or Portugal, the latter being the most probable (cradle of the Path of Shadowcrafting)

Most probably Mary Anne Bowesley is the first casualty, without a Prince, the Second Inquisition would have it easier to destroy all other vampires.
                - Saga
                Last edited by Saga; 12-24-2018, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Saga View Post
                  - since most of what's happened there is in Beckett's Jyhad Diary with the exception of Mithras apparently being responsible for Jack the Ripper murders.
                  Why was Mithras going all Slasher-Killer on local prostitutes?

Also, how relevant should the background be? If the SI has just destroy the local vampire population then minor bits of business that happened centuries ago are meaningless.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy RPG Reviews View Post

Also, how relevant should the background be? If the SI has just destroy the local vampire population then minor bits of business that happened centuries ago are meaningless.
                    Not necessarily relevant, but if mentioned, not overlooked.

Mithras was somehow controlled (or lack of being in control) due to a ritual performed by Anton Welling, regent of Lion Green's chantry, with the aid of Valerius. The ritual involved in Emiliana Ducheski (a.k.a. Emilia Blake), mother of Regina Blake (childe of Victoria Ash), diablerizing Mithras, and then through her blood, the regent in turn diablerize Emiliana and gain Mithras' generation without the perils of losing his will against the one of the Prince of London. It almost succeeded if not for the interruption of Keminitiri (a.k.a. "Toreador" harpy Lady Ophelia Merritt)

- Saga
                    Last edited by Saga; 12-24-2018, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Saga View Post
                      Wow! Hope they don't forget anything on the metaplot for it.
                      I suspect they won’t so much forget as take the opportunity to actively remove some parts of it!

In any setting (particularly games) too much canon/backstory causes problems, and as with many settings too much of VtM’s has internal inconsistencies that should either be (i) dropped (easiest), (ii) reconciled (hardest), or (iii) left explicitly ambiguous (can be useful, but also distracting and wastes wordcount).

Victorian Age Trilogy:
                      Backstory & metaplot that’s only in novels are probably going to be even more prone to getting dropped/changed than material that’s in the game.

Beckett's Jyhad Diary:
                      - Monty Coven/Mithras claiming knowledge of where sleeping methuselah were, of which
                      I guess he meant Tiamat (Diablerie Britain) or Bodhmall (London by Night).
                      I suspect that if Monty!Mithras knew the location of a torpid methuselah then he’d take more direct action about it rather than just dropping it into conversation — while he might be cautious about immediately D’ing to reduce his generation, there’s little obvious reason not to at least relocate the staked bodies somewhere more convenient. So I’d assume that there is some good reason why he’s not done anything yet.

What happened to the Tremere? It was Edward Bainbridge who was responsible for the London chantry (if he survived Valerius staking him in the Victorian Age trilogy).
                      I think it’s unlikely that Bainbridge would have survived until modern nights — he was too good at making powerful enemies, and not nearly as capable as he thought he was. Given Mithras/Anne’s attitude towards the Tremere I always figured that John Dee just used him as Regent of London to attract the Ventrue’s attention, while having more capable/trusted apprentices & magisters acting more discretely.

If we take BJD's references to the Tremere being set up for breaking the Masquerade, then they could have taken the exposure of that as an opportunity to openly establish more power in London without Anne being able to oppose them

Grimgroth Inner Council of the entire region, though IIRC, he was in either Spain or Portugal, the latter being the most probable (cradle of the Path of Shadowcrafting)
                      ISTR he’s been said to moved chantry quite a lot, though nominally based out Rome.

For the British Isles, Dee’s the Pontifex. In the wake of the SI’s attack on the Co7 (whatever the details of that may be) I’d expect him to be closely allied to Schreckt’s reformed House, likely one of new acting council.

Most probably Mary Anne Bowesley is the first casualty, without a Prince, the Second Inquisition would have it easier to destroy all other vampires.
                      She’s more-or-less explicitly one of the last, being destroyed (V5 p361) in Nov 2013, seven years after the culling of London started — the SI can’t just go straight to the top and decapitate (literally) the leadership (at the very least the Sabbat will have been trying to do that for centuries).

The SI will have picked off the low-hanging-fruit first — random Caitiff, anarchs, and Sabbat — the ones most likely to make mistakes and get caught. Get practical experience & intel but staying under the radar as long as possible. Once Anne & co realise it’s more than a couple of random hunters getting lucky with some rabble I’d expect her to take the standard Venture/Camarilla line of going quiet & defensive (with a side serving of trying to manipulate the SI to target people she doesn’t like). At the same time I’d expect the SI to be undermining the Cam (and by extension Ventrue) power-centres in the city (including the police themselves) to make it easier to target the strongest & best defended vamps.

While this is going on, and awareness grows of the SI and their successes, many vamps are unlikely to want to risk sticking around and hoping to ride it out in the ivory tower — sure the strongest Cam presence may provide the best direct defences, by why stick around the city where the hunters are concentrating their attacks? I’d expect a high proportion of kindred without strong ties to London to simply move out of town around 2008-2010 — a couple of older ones (those with knowledge / power / wealth / connections to parlay into support in the local Elysia) relocating to Manchester / Birmingham / Paris / Brussels / Amsterdam / etc, and a similar number of neonates migrating below the line to join anarchs in the same cities. That could quickly account for 10-20% of London’s kindred population.

And it will continue — as the SI continue to rack up successful captures/kills of increasingly powerful vamps, more and more will also flee, further undermining the Cam and exposing other kindred to SI attacks. By 2013 I’d expect the only ones to be left will be (i) those who for whatever reason have nowhere to run to, (ii) those looking to make a reputation for themselves (as archons or whatever), and (iii) those who’d rather go down with the ship than lose face by fleeing (e.g. Anne).

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy RPG Reviews View Post

Well we know Mithras evacuated his cult from the city and presumably other vampires saw the writing on the wall.

"As a vampire, you do not FIGHT hunters. When your haven is compromised, you LEAVE IT."
                        -actual shouting RPGing moment from game.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Originally posted by Callum View Post
                          I suspect they won’t so much forget as take the opportunity to actively remove some parts of it!

In any setting (particularly games) too much canon/backstory causes problems, and as with many settings too much of VtM’s has internal inconsistencies that should either be (i) dropped (easiest), (ii) reconciled (hardest), or (iii) left explicitly ambiguous (can be useful, but also distracting and wastes wordcount).

Backstory & metaplot that’s only in novels are probably going to be even more prone to getting dropped/changed than material that’s in the game.

I suspect that if Monty!Mithras knew the location of a torpid methuselah then he’d take more direct action about it rather than just dropping it into conversation — while he might be cautious about immediately D’ing to reduce his generation, there’s little obvious reason not to at least relocate the staked bodies somewhere more convenient. So I’d assume that there is some good reason why he’s not done anything yet.

I think it’s unlikely that Bainbridge would have survived until modern nights — he was too good at making powerful enemies, and not nearly as capable as he thought he was. Given Mithras/Anne’s attitude towards the Tremere I always figured that John Dee just used him as Regent of London to attract the Ventrue’s attention, while having more capable/trusted apprentices & magisters acting more discretely.

If we take BJD's references to the Tremere being set up for breaking the Masquerade, then they could have taken the exposure of that as an opportunity to openly establish more power in London without Anne being able to oppose them

ISTR he’s been said to moved chantry quite a lot, though nominally based out Rome.

For the British Isles, Dee’s the Pontifex. In the wake of the SI’s attack on the Co7 (whatever the details of that may be) I’d expect him to be closely allied to Schreckt’s reformed House, likely one of new acting council.

She’s more-or-less explicitly one of the last, being destroyed (V5 p361) in Nov 2013, seven years after the culling of London started — the SI can’t just go straight to the top and decapitate (literally) the leadership (at the very least the Sabbat will have been trying to do that for centuries).

The SI will have picked off the low-hanging-fruit first — random Caitiff, anarchs, and Sabbat — the ones most likely to make mistakes and get caught. Get practical experience & intel but staying under the radar as long as possible. Once Anne & co realise it’s more than a couple of random hunters getting lucky with some rabble I’d expect her to take the standard Venture/Camarilla line of going quiet & defensive (with a side serving of trying to manipulate the SI to target people she doesn’t like). At the same time I’d expect the SI to be undermining the Cam (and by extension Ventrue) power-centres in the city (including the police themselves) to make it easier to target the strongest & best defended vamps.

While this is going on, and awareness grows of the SI and their successes, many vamps are unlikely to want to risk sticking around and hoping to ride it out in the ivory tower — sure the strongest Cam presence may provide the best direct defences, by why stick around the city where the hunters are concentrating their attacks? I’d expect a high proportion of kindred without strong ties to London to simply move out of town around 2008-2010 — a couple of older ones (those with knowledge / power / wealth / connections to parlay into support in the local Elysia) relocating to Manchester / Birmingham / Paris / Brussels / Amsterdam / etc, and a similar number of neonates migrating below the line to join anarchs in the same cities. That could quickly account for 10-20% of London’s kindred population.

And it will continue — as the SI continue to rack up successful captures/kills of increasingly powerful vamps, more and more will also flee, further undermining the Cam and exposing other kindred to SI attacks. By 2013 I’d expect the only ones to be left will be (i) those who for whatever reason have nowhere to run to, (ii) those looking to make a reputation for themselves (as archons or whatever), and (iii) those who’d rather go down with the ship than lose face by fleeing (e.g. Anne).
                          Well, if you take Beckett's Jyhad Diary and read all the novels, you will understand immediately where certain NPCs come from and why. A Brief History od Beckett depicts a lot of the events of Victorian Age trilogy, so does the Mithras/Kemintiri "relationship". Then in Azhi Dahaka chapter, The Eldest + Ilyas is something that happened in Dark Ages Novel Tzimisce, so is the "we" facet of Vykos.

On John Dee as being Tremere (from WoD1st ed) it has been replaced by him being a persona of an elder Malkavian from London By Night (Abraham Mellon IIRC).

- Saga

Comment

Working...
                          X