Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Anatole View Post
    Edgelords be gone!

Looking forward to a new direction for V5 under Modiphius. Even though I am still not a fan of V5's metaplots changes I am hopeful they can recover the VTM brand moving forward.

Hopefully Modiphius hires some good writers
    So play V20 if you hate V5's direction so much. Don't take over V5 from the people who do like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Cielle View Post

So play V20 if you hate V5's direction so much. Don't take over V5 from the people who do like it.
      Well, you'll still have your V5 books, you can play it for eternity.

If nothing worked, then let's think!

Comment

Originally posted by PMárk View Post
        Well, you'll still have your V5 books, you can play it for eternity.
        No, I won't, because I figured I'd wait to buy Camarilla and Anarchs instead of preordering. Stupid me, I really should have predicted that they'd be consigned to the trash heap before they ever came out!

What Modiphius is doing is totally unprecedented, and it is the shittiest decision I have seen made regarding this license since CCP's near-total shutdown of the brand. Paradox should have trusted literally anyone else with this.
        Last edited by Cielle; 12-22-2018, 12:02 AM.

Comment

It's beyond stupid, and I can't think of any precedent for it in any RPG, ever. I am even more angry after seeing the copy-pasted responses being repeated on twitter by their mouthpieces. Why the fuck were these people trusted to take over the line?

If they're already mismanaging things this badly, I hope Modiphius folds.
          My guess is they hate the books themselves.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

What Modiphius is doing is totally unprecedented, and it is the shittiest decision I have seen made regarding this license since CCP's near-total shutdown of the brand. Paradox should have trusted literally anyone else with this.
            Let's give them a chance to fix this properly. Even aside from the Chechnya section, the Camarilla book was weak. It and the Anarch book relied too much on in character discussions, were too general, and did not present any new rule mechanics (no new merits, flaws, disciplines, background etc). This is a new age we are in. Physical books were a fixed thing, while PDFs can be dynamic and can be changed. Let's see where this goes.

But I don't want it to roll back to V20 or before.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy RPG Reviews View Post

Let's give them a chance to fix this properly. Even aside from the Chechnya section, the Camarilla book was weak. It and the Anarch book relied too much on in character discussions, were too general, and did not present any new rule mechanics (no new merits, flaws, disciplines, background etc). This is a new age we are in. Physical books were a fixed thing, while PDFs can be dynamic and can be changed. Let's see where this goes.

But I don't want it to roll back to V20 or before.
              The only problem to "fix" is the one Modiphius created themselves by redacting two-thirds of the edition's books. And from the sounds of it, it will be a couple years down the line before they do anything with that, and they're likely to make you buy the books over again.

I don't need a publisher to be constantly retracting and remaking books because some new writer doesn't like what was previously published. I need a product stable enough that I can become invested in it. Modiphius violated that with this move, ergo, fuck them.
              Last edited by Cielle; 12-22-2018, 12:24 AM.

Comment

No, I won't, because I figured I'd wait to buy Camarilla and Anarchs instead of preordering. Stupid me, I really should have predicted that they'd be consigned to the trash heap before they ever came out!
                I'm not sure you won't be able to purchase the pdfs once they got corrected, before the books will go out of print. I assume there will be a window in time. Maybe reatail orders from shops will be also fulfilled (I assume, based ont hey want to fulfill existing orders).

Also, you could wait for the new books to get the material you feel it should be there from the get-go. You know, like Sabbat/independent/elder etc. players have been told.

Comment

Originally posted by PMárk View Post

I'm not sure you won't be able to purchase the pdfs once they got corrected, before the books will go out of print. I assume there will be a window in time. Maybe reatail orders from shops will be also fulfilled (I assume, based ont hey want to fulfill existing orders).

Also, you could wait for the new books to get the material you feel it should be there from the get-go. You know, like Sabbat/independent/elder etc. players have been told.
                  You are not paying attention. The PDFs have already been removed from sale. Your assumption is dead fucking wrong - there is no "window in time".

I'm certainly not going to trust Modiphius to eventually do something good with the material (once they feel like getting around to it) after they scrapped two perfectly serviceable books. It's not possible to hold faith in a company that behaves this way.
                  Last edited by Cielle; 12-22-2018, 12:50 AM.

Comment

You are not paying attention. The PDFs have already been removed from sale. Your assumption is dead fucking wrong - there is no "window in time".
                    For now, But I'm not sure about when they've finished the changes. I'd have to re-read the letters, which I won't now. You might be right about it, I didn't spend most of my attention on those parts, when I was reading it. Maybe the corrected pdfs will be sent out only to those who already had orders, or bought them, I don't know.

I'm certainly not going to trust Modiphius to eventually do something good with the material (once they feel like getting around to it) after they scrapped two perfectly serviceable books. It's not possible to hold faith in a company that behaves this way.
                    Umm, I think Paradox scraped the books.

Also, many people said they can't trust the current WW handling the IP well, after their initial steps back then too and others said, let's give them a chance and see the actual books.

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
                      If I was Matthew Dawkins?

* Daughters of Capochany
                      * Samedi
                      * Salubri
                      * True Brujah (heavily revised)
                      * Nagaraja
                      * A canonical Drowned Legacy or Asian vampire susbtitute for the Kuei Jin
                      Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
                      Its seven including the Wan Kuei under V5 rules.
                      My seven Bloodlines given priority for a write-up / inclusion in V5 would be :
                      * True Brujah
                      * Warrior Followers of Set / Ministers
                      * Old Clan Tzimisce
                      * Nagaraja
                      * Kiasyd
                      * Daughters of Cacaphony
                      * City Gangrel or Greek Gangrel

Why and how would you revise the True Brujah ? They seem perfect to me.
                      Last edited by Muad'Dib; 12-22-2018, 02:03 PM.

Comment

The changes to the Camarilla book are already finished, and the pdf has been updated. I don’t know that there were any changes to the Anarch book. It’s true that you can’t buy the pdfs alone anymore, though it looks like you can still preorder the physical books and get pdfs in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Flag View Post
                          The changes to the Camarilla book are already finished, and the pdf has been updated. I don’t know that there were any changes to the Anarch book. It’s true that you can’t buy the pdfs alone anymore, though it looks like you can still preorder the physical books and get pdfs in the process.
                          They're changing it again, though. They've confirmed it with Twitter.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Originally posted by thebiglarpnerd View Post
                            Well, damn. That's actually really annoying, especially if they speed that production along and those are out in less than a year. The sourcebooks, as written and ignoring the controversial text which has been removed, are no worse than anything else. I've seem people bitch about fluff vs. mechanics, and yet other books have been written in the same mode (notably Secrets of the Covenants for VtR2) and there has been much less bitching.
                            Indeed, and the Requiem clanbooks, which were quite popular (and rightfully so).

I really don’t have a clue what’s going on at this point. Fortunately I have enough right now to run my current game, and I can wait and see what happens over the new year. I think the proposed books by Modiphius look good, but of course people do need books on the major sects of the game, one way or another.

Comment

Personally, I cancelled my Ancilla preorder with Modiphius, and instead had it replaced with an order of the Deluxe Core book instead.

It was mainly out of the distaste over the issues surrounding the Camarilla (and Anarchs) books, and because I didn't want to have to wait longer for these products based on a decision that was not my own. I had recieved the PDFs already, but not the books I had paid for, and then they were withdrawn. As a paying customer, I shouldn't have to be inconvenienced by somebody else's decisions - whether you agree with the censorship or not. I very much liked the core rules, though.

However, I agree with Grumpy RPG Reviews, in that the Camarilla and Anarchs books were just not that good anyway.

I think the problem with splatbooks like these is that they end up fishing around for material to include, rather than have a meaty bit of geography, topic or scenario to write about. It's not as if players and STs haven't already been introduced to the Camarilla or Anarchs in the corebook already. The splatbooks just don't really add much. The old spatbooks had utility, but this was primarily because they provided a bunch of (generally very cool) example characters to play. Some of the revised splatbooks got better with time, but really the format is basically world building by numbers a lot of the time.

There is also the issue of trying to incentivise you to collect books based on 'completeness' rather than actual quality. In each of the books, there was an introduction to a new Clan - which supposedly meant in order to be 'complete' you'd have had to collect six supplements in total to be able to make up 13 Clans. Maybe more if you want bloodlines too. Now while this may be a way for a business to incentivise it's customer base to buy more, it does run into problems if the business….ahem…collapses, because fans who want their game to be 'complete' will be left hanging. I was a Wraith: The Oblivion fan, back in the 1990s and this is what happened - the Guild book line was never finished. For me, a better idea is to put all the peripheral Clans into one book - the Player's Guide, say? That way, players can choose to expand out the character choices fully rather than having to wait for a drip, drip of releases which may never be 'complete'.

Regarding, Modiphius, they have an excellent track record of distribution into retail markets - and I've yet to see a bad product released from them in terms of physical quality. No disrespect to Onyx Path, but it just isn't their business model to get Vampire into shops and a wider public exposure. If Modiphius are successful, then it will be to the benefit of Onyx Path, other affiliated publishers and the Vampire fanbase as a whole.
                              Last edited by Trippy; 12-22-2018, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Were I to re-write the books I'd add NPC stats which seem weirdly absent.

Comment

Working...
                                X