Modiphius taking over Vampire: The Masquerade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by moogle001 View Post

Gotcha, since the books were available for order at Modiphius I thought that might have been a rumor. I really don't understand the logic of this; the books aren't out yet, they can be improved in whatever way the new crew thinks necessary. Unless there are legal considerations with the original authors, but that seems unlikely. WW has had many questionable releases, and makes them available without difficulty on DTRPG. Does Modiphius plan on writing entirely new Camarilla/Anarch books, and if so, why would they expect anyone to buy them?

They have said they MIGHT do revised ones, but there are no plans currently, according to a number of emails people have gotten. Also, the physical book sale is still up on their site, but I don't actually think they're taking orders for it.

Comment

• Originally posted by MegaZarak View Post

Based on what's been said I wouldn't expect to get get Camarilla or Anarchs at this point anywhere other than ebay.
      Except, I just bought the Anarchs book in print this week. The PDF is out of print, oddly (though print copies still come with a PDF), but the print edition is still there.

Perhaps it's on sale until the entire print run is accounted for? In which case, it's best to grab your copy now before it becomes a rarity like old copies of Dark Reflections: Spectre or The Risen (which rose to about £80 per copy at one time, before POD).

Comment

• I am cautiously optimistic about Modiphius taking control of Vampire, and I have many thoughts on the subject.

I just hope that with NuWW gone, Modiphius can work out a way to bring back Big Eyes Small Mouth somehow.

It was one of White Wolf's acquired IP's and I remember back in 2017, there were a few teasers implying that NuWW may consider bringing back BESM via a third party developer.

If Paradox were to allow Modiphius to bring back Big Eyes Small Mouth, I would forgive Paradox for V5.

I am glad that Modiphius is keeping VTM alive for now. Hopefully it can recover as a franchise.
        Last edited by Camilla; 01-10-2019, 06:16 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Camilla View Post
          I am cautiously optimistic about Modiphius taking control of Vampire, and I have many thoughts on the subject.

I just hope that with NuWW gone, Modiphius can work out a way to bring back Big Eyes Small Mouth somehow.

It was one of White Wolf's acquired IP's and I remember back in 2017, there were a few teasers implying that NuWW may consider bringing back BESM via a third party developer.

If Paradox were to allow Modiphius to bring back Big Eyes Small Mouth, I would forgive Paradox for V5.

I am glad that Modiphius is keeping VTM alive for now. Hopefully it can recover as a franchise.

You do realize that BESM is available on DTRPG right?

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...d-Edition?it=1

Comment

• Originally posted by thebiglarpnerd View Post

You do realize that BESM is available on DTRPG right?

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...d-Edition?it=1

I meant a new edition.

I already own the PDF of Third Edition and I own First Edition on hard copy

Comment

I meant a new edition.

I already own the PDF of Third Edition and I own First Edition on hard copy
              I'm not sure that Modiphius actually has any rights to BESM, as the only White Wolf license they seem to be dealing with is Vampire. I don't honestly think there is much of a demand for a new edition of BESM, in any case. New editions require planning and resources to develop, and the market has changed quite a bit since BESM was last in print.

Comment

(...)
                Remember that even if WoD and V:tM would go downhill in regards to sales and publishing in the nearest future ( which I don't think will happen ) , it would still come back in some years .

Comment

• Originally posted by Muad'Dib View Post
                  Remember that even if WoD and V:tM would go downhill in regards to sales and publishing in the nearest future ( which I don't think will happen ) , it would still come back in some years .
                  Why would it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Trippy View Post
                    Why would it?
                    It's just too large a license to die. Somewhere, someone will be looking for an interesting property to buy and snatch it up, just like Paradox did.
                    Plus, it's Vampire. Just wait for the Torpor timer to end and pour some blood on it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cifer View Post
                      It's just too large a license to die. Somewhere, someone will be looking for an interesting property to buy and snatch it up, just like Paradox did.
                      Plus, it's Vampire. Just wait for the Torpor timer to end and pour some blood on it.
                      Yup.

Let's not forget: WoD literally outlived its official end and 5+years without any official support.

As long as there are people willing to write for it and publish it in any form, and there are people who want to play it and buy the stuff, it'll live.

If nothing worked, then let's think!

Comment

I am going to echo what others a bit further up-thread have already said: the game was literally cancelled with zero support for many years, and it came back--and came back strong. The worst I realistically expect could happen to the franchise is that, at some point or another, it fails to make new fans because it's horribly mismanaged, and you end up with a game played nigh exclusively by people born in the 20th century.

Here's my deal: After I understood the basic direction they were taking the line(s) (not just the rules, but with the setting, the tone, the focus--everything), I quickly understood that I was about as uninterested in the franchise as possible. At least when Chronicles of Darkness came out (formerly nWoD), I was peeved that the game I loved had been axed, but I was still curious, because the guts of the game/system seemed pretty intact. With V5, I'm not even mildly/academically curious. BUT, I'm going to keep buying Classic WOD (i.e., Onyx Path) products like it's 1999. I suspect I'm not alone--certainly some people who share my love for the old stuff may have varying degrees of interest about V5 and what it's trying to do, but at the very least I'm confident the community that loves and plays the classic game(s) will persist.

Having said that, I'm surprised by the seemingly backlash and flack V5 has engendered. I guess when I saw the direction the game as taking (and after seeing some interactions between the people working on the game and fans/consumers at a couple of cons) I thought, 'whelp, this is is just what this is now'.

Comment

• Originally posted by CaptOtter View Post
                          The worst I realistically expect could happen to the franchise is that, at some point or another, it fails to make new fans because it's horribly mismanaged, and you end up with a game played nigh exclusively by people born in the 20th century.
                          The worst I realistically expect is that this edition-war backlash to V5 scares people off from doing anything novel with the license. Nothing grows, nothing changes, just the same exact people, setting, conflicts, and overall plot events as in the late 90s (with a couple minor rules tweaks anytime a "new edition" is released). Stasis is boring. I have one copy of V20 already, and I don't need another book with the same material.

I want to see new developments, and I don't think people are willing to let that actually happen.
                          Last edited by Cielle; 01-14-2019, 12:00 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cielle View Post

The worst I realistically expect is that this edition-war backlash to V5 scares people off from doing anything novel with the license. Nothing grows, nothing changes, just the same exact people, setting, conflicts, and overall plot events as in the late 90s (with a couple minor rules tweaks anytime a "new edition" is released). Stasis is boring. I have one copy of V20 already, and I don't need another book with the same material.

I want to see new developments, and I don't think people are willing to let that actually happen.
                            Mind you, Call of Cthulhu is functionally identical 30 years later.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

• Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post

Mind you, Call of Cthulhu is functionally identical 30 years later.
                              Yeah, and it's just as boring coming from them, but least they have the excuse that their setting's sole author is dead.
                              Last edited by Cielle; 01-14-2019, 12:56 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Cielle View Post

Yeah, and it's just as boring coming from them, but least they have the excuse that their setting's sole author is dead.
                                Actually, they've really updated things with Pulp Cthulhu.

Mind you, I felt the biggest weakness of V20 was the lack of metaplot so I'm not complaining here.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Working...
                                X