Character concept: master phlebotomist

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Character concept: master phlebotomist

I’m wondering about an idea where a vampire makes the most of his blood. They’d have all merits and combo powers that are blood related to maximize the potential. I’d imagine a crazed scientist tampering with vitae to unlock its secrets.

Path of blood (blood related magic)
    Pure blood (1 extra bp per turn)
    Efficient digestion (2 bp per 1 from humans)
    Retain the quick blood (get blood back slowly after spending it on specifi discipline)
    Blush of health (negate spending blood on looking mortal and doing “adult” acts)
    Name?* (the one that lets you get double blood from animals)

What else is there?

The one that gets you double blood from animals is Animalism 6, Animal Succulence.

This seems cool, but a character like this would probably have a specific goal in mind for their studies.
    I actually have a somewhat similar character in my chronicle. A dedicated biothaumaturge, who works at that deadly place where Tremere, Tzimisce and Cappadocians meet. He too wishes to understand the secrets of the Blood, its life-giving power, and how far he can stretch it.

What I'm saying is that you probably need to go beyond looking for powers that mention Vitae. Unlocking the blood is uncharted territory, and probably needs to be arbitrated heavily by ST, rather than existing rules.

Furthermore, I believe Carthage should be destroyed.

Comment

I believe there's also a ritual that lets one purify blood of various things and another for making magic jars to store it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pnizzle View Post
        I’m wondering about an idea where a vampire makes the most of his blood. They’d have all merits and combo powers that are blood related to maximize the potential. I’d imagine a crazed scientist tampering with vitae to unlock its secrets.
        (...)
        Seems like the character would be focused on herself ( or himself ) in regard to Vitae and blood. Is there a reason for this ; for example she being selfish, or a perfectionist ?

Comment

Originally posted by Monalfie View Post
          I believe there's also a ritual that lets one purify blood of various things and another for making magic jars to store it.
          Several, actually.

Purify Blood cleans blood of all diseases and toxins. Note that this ritual does not work for Vitae.
          Ascension of the Blood makes Vitae not create blood bonds, but retains all other properties.

Sanguineous Phial is the ritual that stores blood.

Furthermore, I believe Carthage should be destroyed.

Comment

Originally posted by Muad'Dib View Post
            Seems like the character would be focused on herself ( or himself ) in regard to Vitae and blood. Is there a reason for this ; for example she being selfish, or a perfectionist ?
            Aren’t all vampires selfish by nature?
            I’d imagine it being an obsession with solving the mystery and applying effects.

Comment

Aren’t all vampires selfish by nature?
              Going with this, aren't all persons selfish by nature ? WoD certainly makes a case that it is so, as selfishness is very often shown and discussed with not only Vampires, but also with Mages and with Garou ; whether it is not helping without payment, or playing politics etc.
              Last edited by Muad'Dib; 12-21-2018, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Are you certain you mean "phlebotomist"? Phlebotomy is just any medical procedure that draws blood from a vein, usually for diagnostic purposes. It's a skilled job in the health professions, but not really "crazed scientist tampering with vitae to unlock its secrets" levels of medical skills. Phlebotomists do important work and all, but they have a more practical role of just getting the blood out as painlessly and cleanly as possible, and routing it to the lab.

They are unlikely to have a top-tier medical education, with the sort of theoretical knowledge needed to make advancements in the field on their own. In the US, a High School diploma and a certification program is the minimum training. Many phlebotomists have an Associate's (2-year) degree. Some may have a Bachelor's degree (4-year) in Medical Technology, though this likely makes them over-qualified. So, in game terms, Medicine skill at 2 or so.

Maybe you meant a Hematologist, which is a specialty within medicine practiced by physicians with an MD? Or, a Molecular or Cellular Biologist, which would likely have at least a Masters, and likely a PhD and/or MD? Similar levels of education, with more emphasis on practical experience, are needed for a Nurse Researcher; though, at those levels the line between nursing and applied biology/medicine blur. Coming at it from a pharmacological angle might be interesting, if you're running in a V5 environment. (Resonances and Dyscrasias look like a pharmaceutical topic to me, with lots of neurobiology thrown in.)

You could also come at it from a more structural biochem perspective. For a weirder perspective, Occupational Therapy, Sports Medicine, or Biophysics might have an interesting take on the theory behind the functioning of the physical disciplines, especially in V5. That's kind of straying from your stated goal, however.

As for powers related to the concept, take a look at Biothaumaturgy. Level 1 may be a good fit.

Comment

It’s a joke. A play on words. Many phlebotomist dress as vampires for Halloween cause it’s funny.

Comment

It’s a joke. A play on words. Many phlebotomist dress as vampires for Halloween cause it’s funny.
                    I thought it was referring to the fact that such a Vampire would get very good at feeding, due to having such an area of interest.

Comment

This is pretty much what I did with my TC Tremere, except I took a different route.

He had the Eat Food merit, which I originally took to weaponize (the stories I could tell about that). During the chronicle's mid-game, long before the invention of things like "thioacetone" and "VX", what I would have my character do during chronicle downtime is create a shitload of blood skittles and just...eat them. Then, when my character needed a quick pick-me-up or when he dropped his own generation with PoB3, he'd activate them and since they were physically in his stomach, instant vitae.

Got nasty later on when he got Domain over a Cray and was able to make tass skittles at-will. Then he developed an alternate ritual that allowed him to directly store lupine blood, and activate them with the associated bonuses and drawbacks (which he'd then negate via other rituals). Not to be outdone by this alone, he also developed an alternate ritual to create "entropy skittles" that allowed him to store points gained feeding via Vitreous Path.

My ST got grouchy about this once, and I did the math to make a point about it. The average human stomach has a capacity, without distension, of one liter. One liter is about 60 cubic inches, and a dime-sized object (the minimum size specified by blood skittles) has a volume of .02 cubic inches. Assuming 50% of space loss due to stacking, weight issues, and such, my Tremere could theoretically have a blood pool of 1,500, only 30 of which (Sixth gen) being accessible at any one time without activating PoB3. I kept that to 100, because having approximately two rolls of dimes in your stomach isn't really enough to invoke any sort of negative consequence. Of course, my character used dime-sized pebbles to avoid setting off metal detectors.

One of the other players in the group who played a Lector-Priest, had a four-dot Herd (30 vessels) which he specified to be a cult of all women. He gave all of them Seal the Gates of Blood amulets, which meant then and there he only really needed to feed if he spent blood on endeavors other than rising for the night. Then he kept his herd ghouled via Typhon's Brew, which costs less than the blood ghouls can derive from it, to ensure they never actually got pregnant.

We were assholes to that poor bastard of a storyteller. Of course, he was the type who loved seeing the kind of ridiculous game-breaking bullshit sufficiently-motivated players could devise. He ruled we both developed Methuselah's Thirst a few centuries earlier than usual over this shit, so it worked out in the long run.
                      Last edited by Theodrim; 12-24-2018, 01:02 PM.

Comment

That’s epic.

Comment

Honestly wish I saw more of this "sure, let's actually see where this goes for the story" type of storytelling. There are Waaaaaaaaay to many "No, Because I say so" storytellers in this game, and other tabletops(especially D&D).

Comment

Originally posted by Prometheas View Post
                            Honestly wish I saw more of this "sure, let's actually see where this goes for the story" type of storytelling. There are Waaaaaaaaay to many "No, Because I say so" storytellers in this game, and other tabletops(especially D&D).
                            We got that in spades, too. After we completely wrecked the French Revolution story, our ST took a much firmer hand in what we could and couldn't do.

The ST wouldn't let me execute my master plan to use the Sargon Fragment and True Vessel (both of which my character had due to other story stuff) to eat Augustus, for example.

[My character's name was Claudius -- this would become important in a bit. Early on my character was tasked by the Council with getting friendly with the Giovanni to keep him from sniffing around the Saulot stuff, and he ended up allied with Claudius Giovanni enough to get wrapped up in the Conspiracy of Isaac, and later go on his expedition to Erciyes as a witness and advisor. My character ended up finding the True Vessel and took it, but he didn't know what it was until a few centuries later, thinking at the time it was a nice little trinket that would be a fun souvenir of the trip. The Capuchin was more than happy to exploit what amounted to a case of mistaken identity to end Claudius Giovanni's sad existence, while faking the True Vessel's destruction and leaving it in the hands of an unassuming catspaw with no ability to do anything with it...at the time.

How my character got the Sargon Fragment, was because of his involvement with the Conspiracy of Isaac. Funny thing about TC and GC during that time frame, the same character appears in both. A certain Tremere, who happened to be a Founder. Who ended up owing my character a life boon after the Dracula story. Said life boon was repaid when the real Sargon Fragment, which was in the hands of the Founders, was replaced with a forgery.

As luck would have it, one of my character's many impeccable skills was forgery...]

He finally got one step ahead of me once I told him of my intent to put Ambrogino on the menu, and my character was more than capable of that. He figured out the only reason I'd want to target Ambrogino specifically when there were a lot of other 5th genners who would be easier to eat, was because of what he knew about the Fragment and the Anexhexeton. Gino's knowledge and generation were the missing components for me to properly weaponize the Fragment, and if my character could do that he'd be able to take out Uncle Augie.

He nearly shit his pants when he realized I had a plan to become an Antediluvian, with a chance of success that was no laughing matter. But, that's all kinda derail-y and I'd prefer not to do that.
                            Last edited by Theodrim; 12-24-2018, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Theodrim View Post

We got that in spades, too. After we completely wrecked the French Revolution story, our ST took a much firmer hand in what we could and couldn't do.

He finally got one step ahead of me once I told him of my intent to put Ambrogino on the menu, and my character was more than capable of that. He figured out the only reason I'd want to target Ambrogino specifically when there were a lot of other 5th genners who would be easier to eat, was because of what he knew about the Fragment and the Anexhexeton. Gino's knowledge and generation were the missing components for me to properly weaponize the Fragment, and if my character could do that he'd be able to take out Uncle Augie.

He nearly shit his pants when he realized I had a plan to become an Antediluvian, with a chance of success that was no laughing matter. But, that's all kinda derail-y and I'd prefer not to do that.
                              Becoming an Ante isn't really as much of a power boost as the meta makes it out to be. Accounting for the perks, you have effective dominate immunity vs everyone that isn't 3rd gen or higher, but now those guys actually will notice you now and have an interest in trying. You have what hinted at to be an uncapped Blood pool and Blood per tern spending, but you still have to feed on that many people. Your disciplines are able to go up to 10, but that kind of power takes centuries if not millenia. As a methusela, downing your gen to to 3rd really wouldn't be much of a power boost anyway do to all the magical artifacts and defences you should already have to get around issues like blood per tern limits and other vamps trying to dominate you. It's more like the difference between being the power behind the crown or sitting on the throne, mostly semantic.

Uncle Augustus is a testament to what a modern born Ante would be close too, a powerful vampire that can't really live up to the legends his more interesting ancestors built up. Tremere only managed to get out of having the same fate due to the mage's still in his circles, Thaumaturgy BS, and favor of the white wolf writers.

Edit: TL;DR I really don't get the knee-jerk reaction, you becoming an Ante doesn't automatically make you into a god and paints a massive target on your back. That sounds Amazing from a storyteller's perspective, it justifies throwing litterally any of Their favorite NPCs and plot points at you with the justification of "after 3rd gen slurpy".
                              Last edited by Prometheas; 12-26-2018, 01:27 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X