Thoughts about Chicago by Night

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts about Chicago by Night

From the manuscript that was being sent to the backers has made me a bit confused.

1) Will there be maps and pictures that describe the city. From what I have seen in the old 1st and 2nd the description of the city was filling at least 1/3-1/4 of the book.
    2) I hope that the manuscript we have seen will be proofread there are a lot of typos and confusing contradictions.
    3) I hope that the chapters will change place, because I do not see the whole chapter about Homesteads relevant to take so much space and the space it occupies. If it is needed, why not place that chapter in the end of the book.
    4) I am not an editor or a writer I love the various writers who made this book it is awesome and I implore you to write more books. But I would prefer the following layout:
    - Introduction
    - History of Chicago
    - Description of Chicago
    - Description of the Kindred in Chicago (really awesome, what you have done with these descriptions)
    - Story hooks (not everyone of us have played all the Chicago books, heck I was not even born when 1st edition came out)
    - Lasomba
    - Chronicle with the Lasomba (I love the author, so wonderful), though I do not understand why the Ministry has anything to say they are not in the Camarilla. It would be as relevant having them in the ceremony as they would invite the Giovanni, the Salubri and the Tzimisce join them around the bonfire.
    - Homesteads and those rules.

I would also prefer if the "spirit of the city"/Homestead was in a folder apart away from the book. So that you would not need to use the book the whole time like a minor version of a GM screen

But you gutys have done a monumental job and I believe that thanks to this book the V5 will not just survive but be more liked than it is now thanks to the nazi/Chechnya problems ww has endured.

Originally posted by Little_Miss_ Serneholt View Post
    - Chronicle with the Lasomba (I love the author, so wonderful), though I do not understand why the Ministry has anything to say they are not in the Camarilla. It would be as relevant having them in the ceremony as they would invite the Giovanni, the Salubri and the Tzimisce join them around the bonfire.
    It might be out of place, but I think that Followers of Set fit as an additional group at an event more than the other three you mentioned. Consider it that they are sort of just hanging around . And in their own setite way, they are predictable ; and thus their involvement can be accounted for more easily than that of other Vampires.

Comment

Well, I'm sure they're going to edit it from the manuscript (since they are always full of flaws because....it's a manuscript).

However, I imagine everything else is formatted the way they want it.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

1.) There will be maps and pictures, yes.
        2.) It hasn't been through editing yet, but I'm pleased with its pre-editing quality. Surprisingly few errors for a book its size.
        3.) The chapters will be remaining in their current order.
        4.) The Ministry is present because they have Camarilla influence in Chicago. See their example characters in the Kindred chapter.

Matthew Dawkins
        In-House Developer for Onyx Path Publishing

~Hapax Legomenon~

Comment

First of all, great job with Chicago by Night! The descriptions of the NPCs, the city, the coteries, the hooks... it is all really impressive. I loved the chronicle as well, to a point I ended up naming a NPC so that we could have 4 chronicles more!

Also, some things I didn't understand that probably need a deeper readthrough... about so many people present at the assembly. How many characters are at the assembly? I mean, Anita is with the Brujah? Because if Camarilla and Anarchs are at open war and her coterie is called "The Anarch Center", would she ever had been invited?

I was thinking to set the chronicle before the Cam becomes so elitist on membership and still considers all kindred as part of it, and maybe one of the events that lead to open hostilities, but if I am missing something please tell me!

Unrelated: I played recently the kickstart The Monster(s) at my club con and it was a success, players were really pleased with the hunger system.

Comment

Originally posted by Strangelove View Post
            First of all, great job with Chicago by Night! The descriptions of the NPCs, the city, the coteries, the hooks... it is all really impressive. I loved the chronicle as well, to a point I ended up naming a NPC so that we could have 4 chronicles more!

Also, some things I didn't understand that probably need a deeper readthrough... about so many people present at the assembly. How many characters are at the assembly? I mean, Anita is with the Brujah? Because if Camarilla and Anarchs are at open war and her coterie is called "The Anarch Center", would she ever had been invited?

I was thinking to set the chronicle before the Cam becomes so elitist on membership and still considers all kindred as part of it, and maybe one of the events that lead to open hostilities, but if I am missing something please tell me!

Unrelated: I played recently the kickstart The Monster(s) at my club con and it was a success, players were really pleased with the hunger system.
            The Camarilla and Anarchs now share territory as they are competing sects in the same city ala Requiem.

Kevin Jackson wants to wipe them out in his city but he can't do that without starting an open war so he's picking them off one by one.

It's like Bloodlines now.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Which *clans* are in the Camarilla really only has to do with the ones who have representation among the Justicars and the Inner Circle. That means their power in the sect goes all the way to the top.

Any individual Kindred can become a member of the Camarilla and rise in the local ranks if they’re well respected and/or indispensable. They just may not have a clan structure to back them at levels above the local.

What the Lasombra are trying to do is not just defect to the Camarilla but have full clan representation at the highest level, which is why it’s such a big to-do.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Flag View Post
                (...)
                What the Lasombra are trying to do is not just defect to the Camarilla but have full clan representation at the highest level, which is why it’s such a big to-do.
                Is it said or implied that because of this, it is harder for individual Lasombra Vampires to join the Camarilla than it was before ?

Comment

Originally posted by Muad'Dib View Post
                  Is it said or implied that because of this, it is harder for individual Lasombra Vampires to join the Camarilla than it was before ?
                  It's not like previous defections were easy. I remind you that Milan brought....Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post

It's not like previous defections were easy. I remind you that Milan brought....Milan.
                    I can't find in the books the fragment that discusses the challanges and obstacles that a Lasombra has to overcome to leave the Sabbat and join the Camarilla ( I am not sure if this fragment exists, maybe I am just misremembering. ) . But I imagine it that before the current V5 situation, there was at least some amount of trust and/or consideration given to the Lasombra defectors because of how rarely it happened.

Comment

I can't find in the books the fragment that discusses the challanges and obstacles that a Lasombra has to overcome to leave the Sabbat and join the Camarilla ( I am not sure if this fragment exists, maybe I am just misremembering. ) . But I imagine it that before the current V5 situation, there was at least some amount of trust and/or consideration given to the Lasombra defectors because of how rarely it happened.
                      I feel like the opposite is true since the discovery Marcus Vitel was a Lasombra was met with orders for his immediate assassination.

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post

I feel like the opposite is true since the discovery Marcus Vitel was a Lasombra was met with orders for his immediate assassination.
                        I am not familiar with these events ; but wouldn't this be because he pretended to be of a different Clan than Lasombra for a long time, and also because of other circumstances ?

Comment

I am not familiar with these events ; but wouldn't this be because he pretended to be of a different Clan than Lasombra for a long time, and also because of other circumstances ?
                          Perhaps but in general, I think the suspicion of any Lasombra defector is going to be extreme and will require bribery or more likely lying.

Because the Camarilla is a bunch of selfish mafia dons.

For the most part, I imagine any defectors are treated like Luca Brasi. They're killed unless they can prove their loyalty.

Comment

I imagine it’s slightly easier, since coming over as a bloc and petitioning for clan representation means it’s harder to reject them out of hand. So some princes will demand crazy hoops be jumped through rather than just saying no, so then if they don’t pass muster it’s made out to be their fault. Because if they do end up with their own justicar, you don’t want to be remembered as the asshole who tried to block them outright. So you give them a tentative yes but stipulate hoops that they’ll surely balk at having to jump through and withdraw their petition and go join the Anarchs or something.

I bet a bunch of Ventrue were dismayed when many Lasombra proceeded to actually jump through those hoops.

Comment

Is there anything written in V5 in regard to the possibility of a Lasombra Justicar ? For example are there any candidates mentioned ?

Comment

Working...
                              X