Running a game for almost new players

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Muad'Dib View Post
    One way to make the session simpler, if you need to, is to have all the player characters Embraced by one Vampire. Though doing so is a limitation in regard to the Clans that the PCs can be.
    Actually, I'm thinking they may start off mortals, tested by the Camarilla and then sent to infiltrate the Anarchs with no clue at all they are Camarilla. The power games will unfold progressively before them and if they perform well, they'll be introduced to the Camarilla (if not, they'll be unwilling pawns). They can have different clans (but they won't know how they're called) as they'll exhibit different kinds of supernatural powers.

Comment

Originally posted by Legendre View Post
      I'm generally in agreement with Pang4 -- Vampire would not be my first choice for intro games. A good vampire one-shot is hard to do. It's in the nature of the game -- literally written into the rulebooks -- to play with in-depth, developed backstories, complex relationships with NPCs ex ante, and a general familiarity with a setting that is -- and sometimes its hard to remember this from inside the bubble -- kinda niche and outre.
      It's a bait ^^, they'll know about 1% of what Vampire is about at the end of the one-shot, but they'll know the genre, they'll have a good grasp of their character. They might do it again so they'll discover the ins and outs or they might want to talk about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Fox View Post
        I would not choose Vampire or any other RPG where the PC would be anything other than a normal human. Now maybe a WoD game where he plays a mortal who uncovers one of the supernatural conspiracies and has a supernatural as an antagonist (the plot is to kill the one vampire that is discovered) would be OK.

You don't want him to have to learn a bunch of lore before he can play. You want a game where he can get into his character and then explore the setting. And not everyone would find it fun to roleplay a monster. They need something more identifiable and comfortable.

But as for genre, I think it really depends on what your player is interested in real life. An actual hook into the genres he likes is more likely to keep his interest. Does he like westerns, mysteries, hard boiled crime, military, horror, science fiction, fantasy?

Call of Cthulhu would be a good choice. There are lots of one shot scenarios for it, and some would be appropriate to a brand new player. And as an investigative type scenario, there is more to do than just fight. And some scenarios can be very Mythos-lite. Or not even have anything supernatural at all, just pure detective type stuff.
        Think of it as an introduction story: much of the World of Darkness will remain mysterious, they'll have but a shady hint of what's going on.

Comment

Recommend flaws:
          New kid
          New arrival

That’s where I think newbies can represent well.

Comment

I'd agree. Plus with new players everything's new: Vampire's disciplines, Camarilla, Anarchs, and Sabbat, even Vampires themselves (I mean, Vampires, for them it's Bram Stocker 's^^)

Comment

Originally posted by JPS View Post
              Actually, I'm thinking they may start off mortals, tested by the Camarilla and then sent to infiltrate the Anarchs with no clue at all they are Camarilla. The power games will unfold progressively before them and if they perform well, they'll be introduced to the Camarilla (if not, they'll be unwilling pawns). They can have different clans (but they won't know how they're called) as they'll exhibit different kinds of supernatural powers.
              I think that the infiltration could turn out to be too difficult if the player characters don't know their Clans, and other basic facts and knowledge in regard to Vampires. Unless these would be Anarchs who would be very tolerant and relaxed.

Comment

I too would advice against using the Storyteller system and world of darkness setting as introduction. Maybe a simpler system like Savage Worlds and more generic and easy to grasp setting?

Comment

Originally posted by Black Fox View Post
                  Call of Cthulhu would be a good choice. There are lots of one shot scenarios for it, and some would be appropriate to a brand new player. And as an investigative type scenario, there is more to do than just fight. And some scenarios can be very Mythos-lite. Or not even have anything supernatural at all, just pure detective type stuff.
                  Call of Cthulhu could work. It is set in (by superficial appearances) a world very similar to our own, and pcs don't usually begin with exotic, supernatural powers. Be careful of the usual outcome of all the pcs being insane or dead. Or, at least, explain to the players ahead of time that this is, after all, a horror game and good outcomes don't fit with the genre.

You don't want newbies to feel like they "lost" the game.

Comment

At this point in time, different avenues are possible (I actually have Cthulhu slipcase and scenarios so, it's a good idea)

Comment

Working...
                    X