Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help understanding the city of Gary, Indiana

Hello, oh you wise Gurus!

I feel that I lack a lot of information about Gary, in order to be able to GM a good Chicago by Night game.

From what I understand Modius, a Toreador sat there or quite some time, as a nagging sore to Lodin's vision of Chicago. Then suddenly it is an Anarch barony in V5. Can someone please write up a brief highlight about what happened in Gary from 1st edition to V5?

Look up rusted veins. It is the alpha slice for V5 this has a bit more info for you.

Comment

The Prince is Modius (VtM2nd) Toreador
      Childe of Annabelle Triabell, the Toreador primogen of Chicago (CbN, CbN2nd)
      Childe of Maria, who refused the primogeniture due to her egoism and libertine personality. Was diablerized by her sire, Helena when she awoke in 1990.
      Helena is childe of King Minos, 4th generation Toreador whom Helena diablerized.

Juggler is the main contender for the city, Brujah (IIRC) and Anarch (VtM2nd

I'll keep posting as I remember everything, my browser for long posts.

- Saga

Comment

Lucian was the resident Gangrel. Owner of Gary Exports Co.. Roman embraced before the birth of Christ, 8th generation and sire of once Milwaukee Prince, Mark Decker (leader of the Anubi, a lupine hunting strike force). Mark left the Camarilla along with Xaviar after the events of involving Lepold (a guy vampire who himself suspected to be Toreador but was in truth, Gary Pennington, a Tremere antitribu),and the Eye of Hazimel (a powerful reality warping artifact belonging to a 4th generation Ravnos named Hazimel/Rakshasha) this happened in Clan Novel Gangrel and Cb-GR.

- Saga

Comment

Juggler, the anarch leader had certain contact with Chicago anarchs:

Damien, 6th generation Brujah, childe of Critias (the Brujah Primogen, and survivor of a fall from the 113 floor of the Sears Tower, this happened i the Year of the Scarab Trilogy)

Also with Maldavis, Caitiff anarch of Chicago. I think that she was embraced and left by Tremere Abraham DuSable, but she disdains Juggler. Maldavis had a sort of patronage from Rebekah, 5th generation Ventrue, Inconnu Monitor of Chicago. She quoted Maldavis as "her creation"

- Saga

Comment

Gary takes place in Vampire the Masquerade 2nd ed, Ashes to Ashes, and was updated in V20's Dust to Dust, where every other kindred of the city left, (a Malkavian, Damon the Nosferatu, Lucian and someone else I can't remember which clan, it was a girl). The city became a really depressive scenario were only Modius and Juggler remain, but due to the lupine problem surrounding Chicago, a Giovanni girl plans a zombie walk (literally) were also an elder Samedi (cruel assassin and low humanity) are involved to at least gain influence fron Gary as a passing city for other kindred (this I remember from Nate and Bob's 25 Years of VTM podcast)

- Saga

Comment

Originally posted by Little_Miss_ Serneholt View Post
              Hello, oh you wise Gurus!I feel that I lack a lot of information about Gary, in order to be able to GM a good Chicago by Night game.

From what I understand Modius, a Toreador sat there or quite some time, as a nagging sore to Lodin's vision of Chicago. Then suddenly it is an Anarch barony in V5. Can someone please write up a brief highlight about what happened in Gary from 1st edition to V5?
              Gary, Indiana used to be a thriving steel town about two hours away from Chicago and after Modius (the childe of Annabelle) failed to oust Lodin as Prince, he set up shop there. Never to be outdone and wanting revenge, Lodin had Horatio Ballard destroy the entire United States steel economy that made the town into a ghost town. In the 90s it was synonymous with urban decay and actually reclaimed by the wilderness in real life until it effectively ceased to exist save as a small town full of ruins.

In FORGED IN STEEL, Modius had become a kind of Edgar Allan Poe-esque character (and even looked like him) with him living in a literally crumbling mansion with his Domianted and Blood Bound childe Allicia. Contrasting Modius was the Anarch Juggler, who was the head of Chicago's Anarchs and his own childe Evelyn. The thing about Juggler is that Juggler was actually all hat and no cattle. Despite leading the Anarchs in Chicago, he was a pawn of the elder Tyler and his anarchy was meaningless. The fact he tried to bully and abuse Modius to show off his credibility made him pathetic. The player characters were caught between the two characters as while neither was very powerful, they were very powerful compared to Neonates but also kind of pathetic.

In the V20 supplement, DUST TO DUST, eventually all the other Kindred in Gary left and Modius was Prince of nothing (which is a great series). Juggler and Modius also realized that Gary, Indiana had more or less ceased to exist as an actual city. In real life, it's functioning part is more or less literally a highway roadstop of gas stations, fast food, strip clubs, and gambling parlors joints on the way to Chicago (which is an improvement). The ending of the game has Modius and Juggler try one last time to kill each other with the PCs encouraged to just leave them to their irrelevance. There's also a plot by a Giovanni B-movie director to do a dark ritual to turn Gary into an undead city (no lie) as well as witch hunter Sullivan Dane to hunt an Elder Samedi.

RUSTED VEINS is something of a pseudo-sequel as they do a darker more serious take on Juggler and Modius' final battle. Modius is as insane as ever but is trying to enter the drug trade to make himself money to maintain his lifestyle and bungles it badly. Juggler has been made Baron of Gary (despite Modius still being Prince) by Isaac Abrams endorsing him for making a zombie film with the Giovanni mentioned above. This is a meaningless and ridiculous gesture but Juggler seems unaware of it. The module most likely ends with Sullivan Dane killing Modius (and possibly dying in the process) or the Primogen finally bringing the hammer down on him. Juggler might also kill his age old enemy with the PC's help.

In Chicago by Night 5E, it's implied Modius met the Final Death at Juggler's hands and he's now "ruler" of Gary but he has disappeared as well. No one knows what happened to the other NPCs of Gary.
              Last edited by CTPhipps; 12-28-2018, 08:26 AM.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

I'm kind of sad that Gary went so far downhill over the game's lifetime. I think it was most people's introduction to the game back in the 1st and early 2nd ed days.

I remember how 1st ed was almost entirely built around Lake Michigan. Gary was were the initial chronicles were set, then expanding into Chicago by Night/Succubus Club and finally Milwaukee by Night. I like to imagine that in one of the myriad alternate universes, this continued with Werewolf's signature setting being Rage Across Michigan, and Mage's being the Twin Cities. Changeling would get Toronto and Wraith either Cleveland or Buffalo. Then we'd have stuff like Detroit by Night, Rage Across Ohio and Necropolis: Pittsburgh, with anything south of the Ohio, west of the Mississippi or east of the Allegheny being this mysterious terra obscura subject to rumor and speculation the way East Asia used to be. Here, the title Kindred of the East takes on a totally different meaning.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Mind you, Gary was always meant to be a introductory sort of place to get into Chicago itself. It was the "playground" where the police were corrupt, there were countless abandoned buildings, a coterie could take the Prince, and there were only a small number of vampire NPCs.

It's the Corenia before you ventured out into the rest of the Final Fantasy world.

I do hope it's one of the settings for The Gentleman Gamer 's LET THE STREETS RUN RED chronicle, though, but we'll just have to see.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Originally posted by No One of Consequence View Post
                    Here, the title Kindred of the East takes on a totally different meaning.
                    Those vampires from New York, with their strange, alien, impossible to understand ways...

Comment

But yes, coming from Ashland, Ky which is not that disimilar to Gary, Indiana if not quite as apocalyptic, I've always had a massive love for the setting and always use it whenever I can as a setting.

Modius, Juggler, Allicia, Evelyn, and Lucien are more the "signature" NPCs of vampire to me than Lucita and Theo Bell.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy RPG Reviews View Post

Those vampires from New York, with their strange, alien, impossible to understand ways...
                        To say nothing of the savage wilds of New Jersey ....

Hmm ... West is a Near Dark style bunch of savage nomads mixing Ravnos and Assamite, East is some sort of hyper-ethnic Giovanni/Lasombra hybrid, and South is some weird Southern Gothic Setite/Tzimisce mash up?
                        Last edited by No One of Consequence; 12-27-2018, 01:31 AM.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                        Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

I do think the Gary crew are some of the most iconic vampires in the franchise. I wish we saw more of them.

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
                            I do think the Gary crew are some of the most iconic vampires in the franchise. I wish we saw more of them.
                            They are evil and generally pathetic, and destroyed the city in which they dwell. It is a pity VtM has not stuck with this theme.

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy RPG Reviews View Post

They are evil and generally pathetic, and destroyed the city in which they dwell. It is a pity VtM has not stuck with this theme.
                              I don't think they ever did anything to Gary.

Comment

Working...
                              X