Need help understanding the city of Gary, Indiana

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
    (...) Juggler and Modius also realized that Gary, Indiana had more or less ceased to exist as an actual city. In real life, it's functioning part is more or less literally a highway roadstop of gas stations as well as fast food, strip clubs, and gambling parlors joints to Chicago (which is an improvement). (...)
    The urban areas which are a string of gas stations and other highway conveniences ( and the odd grouping of houses or some business buildings ) are these which I like the most in a city. While walking around such area - especially at night - the petrol / gas stations really do help to emphasize and make one understand the fact that civilization ( or at least society ) exists and is functioning .
    Last edited by Muad'Dib; 12-28-2018, 08:54 AM.

Comment

FYI -

There's some speculation that the final unnamed chronicle of LET THE STREETS RUN RED gained as a Kickstarter goal for Chicago by Night will be a chronicle set in Gary. We don't know for sure as Onyx Path Entertainment has just announced that they'd gathered together the writers for it and they've only now just begun work on it. I hope it is true, however, since it is such an iconic and classic part of the franchise.

Chicago by Night 5E states that Modius is dead and Juggler is missing, though, which is a shame.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

A list of the Kindred of Gary, Indiana is this:

* Modius: a 7th generation Toreador who is half-crazy and suffering from severe shock at his defeat at Lodin's hands. He basically insists everything in Gary is fine and he'll regain his old power despite the city having lost 90% of its citiizens. He dresses and looks like Edgar Allan Poe and is a weak selfish man-child. He is an ELDER though and the joke is that PCs are supposed to think he's ridiculous while also being aware he can just Dominate them into submission (it's his only trick) or possibly kill them in a murderous frenzy.

* Allicia: His childe and a beautiful Great Gatsby Mia Farrow looking woman who was embraced in the 1920s. She's mute, which hurts interactions, but she used to have a wonderful singing voice. Meant to be a love interest for PCs. Sadly, Modius has her blood bound.

* Michael: A mentally disadvantaged Malkavian who is almost holy in his high humanity and innocence as well as super-strong. Blood Bound to Allicia but easily abused by other Kindred since he was Embraced as a joke.

* Danov: A Medieval Russian Nosferatu seeking Golconda who knows all of Gary's secrets, such as they are.

* Lucien: A 2000 year old 8th generation Roman vampire who is surprisingly weak for his age but who uses Gary to do smuggling as well as other other dirty business for the Camarilla.

* Juggler: A Italian (American?) vampire who has been around the block a few times and an Ancilla. He dresses well and is charismatic but he has no real goals other than partying as well as harrassing Modius because he's low hanging fruit. He's strong enough that he can fight Modius or players hand-to-hand, though.

* Evelyn Stephens: A beautiful African American vampire who was a club girl who seduced Juggler and got Embraced in a fit of romantic pique. Juggler then dragged her to Gary, where she was from anyway, to bully Modius into accepting her as his childe. Juggler wasn't about to screw with Lodin over embracing without his permission (some Anarch). She told her brother, a police officer, about the Kindred--much to Juggelr's dismay since killing him would make things even worse.

Notable humans:

* Gregory Stephens: A Gary Homicide Detective back when that meant something. Gregory knows vampires exists and his sister has been turned into one by Juggler. He hates Juggler but still loves his sister and wants to help as best he can.

* William Shepard: An actual honest to god FBI agent and the kind of atomic bomb that can screw up the Masquerade bigtime due to the fact he's aware of vampires in Gary (and Chicago as a whole). Gregory and he are implied to be close to exchanging notes, which would suck ass since Gregory could call him in on a permanent basis. He doens't know about the Special Affairs Division or they him--since he'd have been recruited otherwise.

* Sullivan Dane: Pretty much the prototype of Inquisitors except NOT a keystone cop. He has ridiculously high stats, True Faith, and the implications are he's smart enough NOT to try and fight your coterie-hand-to-hand but burn it down while they're asleep. In my games, I use him as a Inquisitor who hunts and kills Elders almost exclusively.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Yeah, Sullivan Dane is basically a modern day incarnation of Robert E. Howard's Solomon Kane character. I was always a little surprised he didn't get a chapter devoted to him in Children of the Inquisition or Kindred's Most Warted. (I think he's in Dread Names: Red List?)

At some point in my games (and this was like 20 years ago), I had Shepard recruited into the SAD (who I tended to play as slightly more competent, but in an X-Files/Delta Green situation where they never know exactly who in the FBI/DoJ/Federal Government higher ups are compromised) and eventually becoming their regional head for the Midwest.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
          Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

I think every character in the group is due for an update.

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
              I think every character in the group is due for an update.

Maybe they will appear in LTSRR.

Comment

I sort of figured both of the Stephenses would be dead as the result of some sort of clash between Gregory and Juggler. Either that or Evelyn somehow ended up killing her brother and then going off the deep end and ending up some sort of blood soaked Sabbbat monster.

I like to think that Alicia ended up as Keeper of Elysium in Chicago or some other regional city.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
                Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Working...
                X