How easy is it to spot a vampire?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How easy is it to spot a vampire?

Hi, just planning a chronicle and wondering how hard it is for vampires to spot other vampires without the use of disciplines. For example would a vampire spot another vampire walking on the other side of the street or would they need to get closer to notice? Also would it be easier or more difficult for a mortal familiar with vampires to notice. Thanks for any help guys.

I use the Requiem rules that every vampire can sense other undead.

Mortals, however, just have to look for subtler signs that most vampires will take precautions against.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithras View Post
      For example would a vampire spot another vampire walking on the other side of the street or would they need to get closer to notice? Also would it be easier or more difficult for a mortal familiar with vampires to notice.
      without auspex or similar, they'd have to be close,
      they can recognize through smell, though they can't be certain it's a vampire, just that they have a characteristic smell
      and of course, physical traits if present (fangs, ice skin, uncanny face, demeanor)

a mortal should have more trouble recognizing since their senses and wits are on average less sharp than vampires'

-

Comment

Originally posted by Pleiades View Post
        (...)
        and of course, physical traits if present (fangs, ice skin, uncanny face, demeanor)
        (...)
        I headcanon it that the pale complexion ( if a Vampire has it ) can be made to appear human-like by every Vampire with little to no effort.
        Last edited by Muad'Dib; 12-27-2018, 05:54 PM.

Comment

In this game (unlike Requiem) it’s not an automatic thing. There are Animalism and Auspex powers and some high-tech devices that let you do this, but otherwise you’re going to have to look closely for telltale signs. If they’re using the Blush of Life, it may not be possible to tell by normal means.

Comment

I always pictured that what scourges and the sheriff do is to patrol the hunting grounds becuase no matter what a vampire objetive is he will always have to feed.

The rest of the vampiric population helps becuase a newcomer is competition in the best of the cases and a fugitive diblerist , sabbat or a infernalist in the worst.

Elders don´t like poaching in their own domains and vampire lowlifes don´t like to see more competency plus they know that they can get some kind of favour or apreciation from the autorithies if they help.Take also in mind that Vampires are a parasistic unlife form , they ingrain with the city influencing all the power sources it has to offer so when someone has to cover a masquerade breach or the police recives a notification of a bloodless corpse have for sure that the prince will send someone to investigate.

Hunger pool

Comment

I was also wondering this...My players ask this all the time (Is this person a Vampire?)

What would you have someone without Auspex roll?

How would you handle it if they DID have Auspex? Just give it to them?

Comment

Thanks for all the quick replies guys. Really helping with my hunter chronicle. Love the community here.

Comment

Originally posted by HPLustcraft View Post
                  I was also wondering this...My players ask this all the time (Is this person a Vampire?)

What would you have someone without Auspex roll?

How would you handle it if they DID have Auspex? Just give it to them?
                  Well, if they’re from the same city, they probably know them. Otherwise it’s down to either the specific discipline power (sensing their beast or reading their aura) or close scrutiny. The disciplines have their own rules, but for close scrutiny I’d call for a perception test at the appropriate difficulty for the situation, or in some cases just say they can’t tell. I’m being vague because I don’t know which version of the game you’re using.

Comment

Don’t forget awareness skill in the v20 system.

Comment

Originally posted by Black Flag View Post

Well, if they’re from the same city, they probably know them. Otherwise it’s down to either the specific discipline power (sensing their beast or reading their aura) or close scrutiny. The disciplines have their own rules, but for close scrutiny I’d call for a perception test at the appropriate difficulty for the situation, or in some cases just say they can’t tell. I’m being vague because I don’t know which version of the game you’re using.
                      Sorry, I should have specified. I am running V5.

I just want to know which Attribute/Skill combos someone might use to detect if another character is a vampire. Only one of the characters has Auspex (Level 3,Sense the Unseen is in there I think)

Comment

Scry the Soul (Auspex 3) works, as does Sense the Beast (Animalism 1).

For normal perception you can use Awareness with whichever mental attribute seems appropriate to the circumstances (see p. 410). You’ll have to decide on the Difficulty. If you can’t decide, I’d recommend just using the target’s Humanity (or whatever you imagine it to be) as the Difficulty. For most this will probably be about 5. Not easy, but making it too easy devalues these disciplines, which also require a roll.

If your players would be discouraged by failing, you can offer them a partial success: they succeed in finding out, but they weren’t subtle and the target has noticed their scrutiny.
                        Last edited by Black Flag; 12-27-2018, 07:47 PM.

Comment

In V5 vampires tend to wear signs and symbols of their nature, ancestry and background. There's some rules for reading vampire's graffiti on p. 322, I think, they could work just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamwalker View Post
                            In V5 vampires tend to wear signs and symbols of their nature, ancestry and background. There's some rules for reading vampire's graffiti on p. 322, I think, they could work just fine.
                            Is it written that most Vampires do special graffiti, or just some of them ? How common the graffiti is ?

Comment

Originally posted by Muad'Dib View Post
                              Is it written that most Vampires do special graffiti, or just some of them ? How common the graffiti is ?
                              It isn't stated how often and how many bloodsuckers actually do that, but it seems, that ST are encouraged to use marks and tags to portray more vivid nightlife. So, it could be pretty often.

Comment

Working...
                              X