Is India a giant missing gap in WOD?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is India a giant missing gap in WOD?

I was recently looking up some population numbers and I realized that India has at least 8 major metropolitan areas bigger than Chicago. It has a population over a 1/7th of the world's total. Yet when I look to world of darkness all we get is that the Ravnos have ties there. It seems like a great location for expansion for cities and NPCs and everything else. Eastern Asia has a lot of treatment as does Africa and the middle east but we get a big blind spot in India. What would you do with it in your vampire games?

Make an India by night book I guess.

Comment

I think that India was a probability back in Revised, it was talked about A LOT back in the old forums.

Then Gehenna (ugh) came and three DA:V books got cancelled (Brujah Chronicles, Dark Ages Italy and Darkening Sky).

Vampire the Dark Ages 20th had the Davana in there, that's perhaps as much of it we will get from that (beyond Sundervere entry in Cb-FoSr, Ghivral Dalaal in CotN and the entire Cb-Rr).

- Saga

Comment

There's an interesting metaplot for it in Dark Ages Companion, in which the fight against Shaitan in Knossos, Balthazar (perhaps the oldest childe of Veddartha) came from India to aid them.

There's also Kartarirya and Ratti-Ben from Cb-Tz revised, and the whole section of Sadhana in Blood Sacrifice.

- Saga

Comment

It used to be home to one of the Courts of the Kuei-jin.

It's also the origin of the Euthantos and Akashic Brotherhood.
          Last edited by CTPhipps; 12-30-2018, 11:53 PM.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

The sad truth is that 20+ years ago, India wasn't trendy the way Japan and China were. So, yes, there was always a sizable gap there. You get some hints here and there in places like the original Tzimisce clanbook, the Dark Ages Ravnos in Thieves in the Night, and the revised Ravnos and Followers of Set books, as well as some KotE material, but that was about it for Vampire. Generally, everyone should have a place there, including Tremere (and other European) lineages going back to the Portuguese trading periods.

What is tolerance? It is the consequence of humanity. We are all formed of frailty and error; let us pardon reciprocally each other's folly. That is the first law of nature.
            Voltaire, "Tolerance" (1764)

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post

Also the Dark Kingdom of Swar, and original home of the Naraka adhene.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Originally posted by Saga View Post
                I think that India was a probability back in Revised, it was talked about A LOT back in the old forums.

Then Gehenna (ugh) came and three DA:V books got cancelled (Brujah Chronicles, Dark Ages Italy and Darkening Sky).

Vampire the Dark Ages 20th had the Davana in there, that's perhaps as much of it we will get from that (beyond Sundervere entry in Cb-FoSr, Ghivral Dalaal in CotN and the entire Cb-Rr).

- Saga
                Also The Eye Opens in Beckett's Jyhad Diary, as the Eye of Hazimel finally comes home.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

From a practical standpoint it's much easier to find writers who are really knowledgeable about Chicago than it would be for Mumbai.

Comment

Originally posted by marin View Post

Also The Eye Opens in Beckett's Jyhad Diary, as the Eye of Hazimel finally comes home.
                    Oh yeah, forgot to mention that one.

- Saga

Comment

Basically? No, it's not a giant missing gap (esp. compared to plenty of other places), but it is exceedingly uneven in how much attention it got between the game lines and editions.

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post

Ya, the chakravanti/euthanatos are rooted their and so are the akashics to a lesser extent.

There’s a lot of mage activity traditionally tied to India but for vampire it gets very little.

From what I know, the Ravnos are the only people who have made it big their in the kindred world because the kue Jin were such a big incursion force in the region, constantly forcing their way in from the east. Also, the ventrue tried and failed at pushing their way in during the British colonial period, probably because the Ravnos kept playing them against the kue Jin

Comment

Oh, and to say that the Euthanatos/Chakravanti dislike vampires is an understatement, these guys hate vampires with a passion, not in a personal or emotional level, but to the Chakravanti, vampires are an abomination to the karmic wheel of life and rebirth and must be cleansed and Kue Jin are the exact same. The akashics feel much the same and this has made the mage influenced subcontinent of India a very difficult place for some vampires, I would imagine.

Comment

Sounds like an excellent project for the ST Vault.

Comment

India kueijin Courts are described in Kindred of the East Companion and those who fought the Ravnos Antediluvian (Eight Thunders Sage, Black Earth Boy and Rising Majestically) have entries in their respective Dharmabooks.

- Saga

Comment

Working...
                              X