[WIR] Chicago by Night 5th Edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
    I will say it's kind of ironic that with Nerissa Blackwater and the Blood Disco, that I actually think Edith is the only character I'd use to talk about Lilith. She's a character that I think has had actual mystical experiences with the Dark Mother while not being so overwhelming that you feel like you're hearing about it from a guy who knew Jesus (Nerissa). The Blood Disco, while entertaining, is also not the sort of place you'd want to get your religious information from unless you were a fan of Xanadu and Olivia Newton John.
    I am not, but now want do just that, with a bunch of Daughters of Cacophony to boot.

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
    I admit, though, I now feel the most obvious thing I can do with Nathaniel is reveal HE SURVIVED THE PCS KILLING HIM BEFORE. Kevin Jackson has also given him carte blanche to DESTROY THE BLOOD DISCO!

Why?

Nathaniel, being the bigoted monster he is, gets the opportunity to kill 30 Caitiff and a cult to a demon goddess. Plus also....those kinds of people. The PCs must save the disco from being burned to the ground.

It will be an opportunity to use this song as well when Nathaniel whips out the flame thrower on the dance floor and they try to survive it.

Loved this and totally going to use it in a future game.
    Last edited by Baaldam; 02-16-2019, 01:01 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by chipotlechris View Post

At least you didn’t approach it from his surname “Striker, Striker, Striker, STRIKER! (Sound of someone getting punched) Ted Striker?”

But seriously, it’s interesting to see a bit behind the process. Whilst I expected a certain amount of dual authorship with editing, I wasn’t sure characters would be split up like that. Could that also be why someone’s Stats don’t match the description?
      No, I added Masks afterwards, but writers of bios were also the stat writers.

Expect Rex Kramer in my next book.

Matthew Dawkins
      In-House Developer for Onyx Path Publishing

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/matthewdawkins

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
        I just realized Phil Collin's "Easy Lover" kinda describes Helena,don't it?
        She'll take your heart but you won't feel it, describes just about every Toreador woman.

Well, except Kathy Glens. She's riffsexual.

The men have "You're So Vain."

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

• Tamoszius "Nero"

Type: NPC

Synopsis: Demented violinist.

Review: Tamoszius (I've always pronounced it Tam-O-Ze-Us and have no idea of the real Polish pronunciation) is one of the original Chicago by Night characters. He's also a character who is named after one of the ones from Sinclair's The Jungle (since we're on the topic of "characters who are named as a shout-out to famous media."). He was an interesting character that combined two things that weren't normally combined: 1. A toreador that was a genuine artiste and 2. A Toreador who was on the verge of succumbing to the Beast completely.

The split between Artistes and Poseurs is a drum that I've noticed V20 and V5 material doesn't seem to be as interested in beating as previous editions. I've always found it to be a fascinating conflict as you have Toreador embraced for their beauty or social networking skill versus those who were geniuses at their craft.

The former, by nature of vampire society being social, tended to rise to the top of the food chain while the latter were possessed of a power over their Clan by nature of its flaw. There was also the fact vampirism destroys the Creative SparkTM, though I tend to think it's more the Beast in general versus a literal curse of Caine. A true creative genius is a unicorn among the Toreador and to be protected at all costs even if the results of their work tend to be bloody, dark, and depressing.

Nero is another character that was resurrected from "Under a Blood Red Moon" along with Marc Levensque and Lodin. I don't object to these as I felt UaBRM killed a lot of very flavorful NPCs while keeping more superficially interesting ones. Here, Nero entered voluntary torpor during the crisis and didn't awaken until about 20 years later due to his low humanity and "something" calling to him. It doesn't appear to be the Beckoning as he's very young and very low. I'm inclined to think Nero is actually called by Nerissa Blackwater as, white Eastern European or not, he has the soul of a creator.

Torpor has apparently done Nero some good as he's apparently much better at controlling himself, no longer interested in mass murder sprees of violnists, and has a much larger appetite for things other than blood as well as violin music. I've always liked the idea that torpor, for all of its faults, does clear the mind and that every vampire eventually debates the idea that it's a good thing to clean out their system. I don't know if I'd use Requiem's handling of it (that Blood Potency needs to be done) but I enjoy it's a psychological thing. He's still got Humanity 4 but it's a rising one than a descending one.

Interesting elements of Nero are the fact that he's incredibly incompetant at being a social predator but, like Brett Stryker, is starting to exert himself. Annabelle could squash him like a bug but he's a Toreador artiste and in my games that means you don't destroy someone like that without serious cause (a fact Nero might be unaware of). Nero has fallen in with Aluc and I wouldn't be surprised if those two were lovers in my game. Crazy fact: Nero wants Aluc to take Annabelle's place in the Primogen and that would put TWO Ministry members on the council. Another fascinating element is that, SHOCK OF SHOCKS, Nero and Kathy Glens are good friends with the two of them having none of the typical childe-sire hatred. It's also something that they don't need the Blood Bond for.

Another "rare as a unicorn" element.

Nero is inclined to join the Anarchs but knows about the "ten spared Anarchs" list. Presumably, Damien told Kathy Glens and she told Nero because phone tag is as common among Kindred as it is humans. The thing is, I'm sure that Kathy Glens would want her sire to be put on Damien's list but Nero isn't officially an Anarch. I also believe Nero is fully prepared to tell Aluc or any PCs about it (or any Anarchs) which will cause the whole thing to go out in the open.

Then shit will hit the fan.

Random factoid: The only time I've ever used Nero is a semi-humorous adventure where he planned on kidnapping and Embracing a stand-in for Lindsay Stirling.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

About Gulfora: She is a great NPC because is wacky as only a Chicago Character could be , I always said that he isnt a demon but an eldritch abobination called Qli in relation to the nephandic , she is a being from a previous dead universe whose power is comparable to Helena and Menele.What the players get to see is IT possesing a woman not his true form or power and mine are about to give whatever she is a more powerful body without knowing it.
            I have her as a Demon: The Fallen Defiler and Earthbound. Eventually, the players in my brief Demon game put her in a human body that caused her to have an existential crisis like so many other demons
            Neither. I do tend to have a preference to sticking to the source instead of stealing from another game mythos whenn it comes to expanding a NPC, so my take of Gulfora has nothing to do with Nephandi or Umbrood lords.

Fallen....well, while i have adopted them, i utterly ignored the biblical angle, replacing Lucifer's rebellion with the war between Igigi and Annunaki in mesopotamian and cananite myths, what meshes much better with Mage & Garou cosmologies too, imho.

I toyed with her words about coming into being "when God created the beings of the sea and air" - she's one of the last of her kind on earth, a lonely remnant race of supernatural prehuman beings, something between siren and air elemental, with qualities both avian, piscine and reptilian. If their fate was exile or extinction she does not quite say and might not be certain herself. She preys on humanity for nourishment and twisted companionship both due to her deep loneliness and might be using her partners/victims as either sacrifice to bring her exiled kin back upon this world or find just the right partner to be unwittting father of a renewed race from hybrids, Innsmouth-style, maybe both, out of sorrow and desperation.

So, she could be "Annunaki Fallen", a changeling or stay as "something else altogether" as in my old games.
            Guess it will depend on what use i'll get or not of her in the future.
            Last edited by Baaldam; 02-16-2019, 02:02 PM.

Comment

• Mind you, in Garou games I make it so its pantheistic animistic spirits.

In Vampire games, it's very much Lovecraftian abominations and Judeo-Christianity.

Comment

• Tamoszius' torpor also receives a reference in one of the V20 books, in a rather subtle way, if I recall.

As a sidenote: all the characters from The Jungle were eliminated in Under a Blood Red Moon. Obviously one of these has now come back.

Matthew Dawkins
                In-House Developer for Onyx Path Publishing

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/matthewdawkins

Comment

• A reminder to anyone who missed the Kickstarter, you can still pick up a copy via the Backer Kit.

https://www.backerkit.com/projects/2...querade-5th-ed

This is an incredible supplement (as my review probably has indicated).

Each week is a countdown to its release!

(Ditto for its supplements that I'm going to review as well)

Comment

• Originally posted by Nicolas Milioni View Post
                    I just realized Phil Collin's "Easy Lover" kinda describes Helena,don't it?
                    I think "She's Not There" by the Zombies is a better fit.

Comment

Mind you, in Garou games I make it so its pantheistic animistic spirits.

In Vampire games, it's very much Lovecraftian abominations and Judeo-Christianity.

Me, i go with lovecraftian much of time, but in my own manner, Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath or Medusa's Coil than Call of Cthulhu, one might say. Though far more Clark Ashton-Smith, Robert E Howard and Clive Barker, truth be told.

Judeo-Christianity i tend to use not as much as one might expect in Masquerade, because i always felt taking the Caine/Nod myth at face value problematic when 99% of the game's methselahs came from cultures with little to no familiarity to that. With me " Cain as the 1rst vamp is just another myth cycle" was the order of the night from the start, pretty much.
                      Last edited by Baaldam; 02-16-2019, 04:07 PM.

Comment

A reminder to anyone who missed the Kickstarter, you can still pick up a copy via the Backer Kit.

https://www.backerkit.com/projects/2...querade-5th-ed

This is an incredible supplement (as my review probably has indicated).

Each week is a countdown to its release!

(Ditto for its supplements that I'm going to review as well)

I picked up a copy on backer kit, but they haven't sent it yet. I'm guessing it arrives on release? Not sure when that is, after a look at the page

Comment

• Originally posted by Tubect View Post

I picked up a copy on backer kit, but they haven't sent it yet. I'm guessing it arrives on release? Not sure when that is, after a look at the page
                          It's not released yet but you can read the book online if you back it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Baaldam View Post
                            Me, i go with lovecraftian much of time, but in my own manner, Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath or Medusa's Coil than Call of Cthulhu, one might say. Though far more Clark Ashton-Smith, Robert E Howard and Clive Barker, truth be told.
                            Ultimately, as much as I love Lovecraftian horrors and wrote a post-apocalypse Call of Cthulhu trilogy (see my signature), I feel like they don't work for vampire as I play it. My games are very much focused on sin, redemption, and self-loathing. Alien monsters just don't work as well when I incorporate the Fallen.

YMMV and what works for you works for you, obviously.

Judeo-Christianity i tend to use not as much as one might expect in Masquerade, because i always felt taking the Caine/Nod myth at face value problematic when 99% of the game's methselahs came from cultures with little to no familiarity to that. With me " Cain as the 1rst vamp is just another myth cycle" was the order of the night from the start, pretty much.
                            For me, I feel like a lot of vampire's feel is lost without that. Mind you, I also take the view that "Judeo Christianity comes after the Book of Nod." Specifically, I take the idea that whenever religion and mythology contradict the Book of Nod or memories of ancient vampires then the latter are correct over the former. The Cain Myth, Garden of Eden, and so on are things that happened but they inspired the Torah and Bible's conception of them rather than the reverse. This means they're possibly inaccurate or flat out wrong.

For example: I go with the fact Caine killed Abel as a human sacrifice in my games, that dramatically changes the tone of the story.

Mind you, I do have Garou mythology and Mage mythology be true but they are true in their own corners of the world. The contradictions have a resolution but it's invisible to humans and the fact that Cainites know for a fact that God is real, Garou know for a fact Gaia is real, and Mages know for a fact that all of the world is a product of human imagination make for a more interesting story to me. All of these are true but how they're true isn't necessarily immediately obvious.

Caine was 13,000 years ago, some guy who offended the Sky God and was cursed for killing his brother. Maybe this inspired the myth of Romulus and Remus, Set and Osiris, or more.

Maybe not.

But Caine founded a city called Enoch (or maybe it was Iram or Atlan) and sired 3 vampires who sired 13 Antediluvians (or maybe it was 100).

Everything else is iffy but that is absolutely 100% true.

Well, maybe 80% true.

Or 50%.
                            Last edited by CTPhipps; 02-16-2019, 04:28 PM.

Comment

It's not released yet but you can read the book online if you back it.

I backed it but can't see where I'm able to read it? I have my confirmation email and everything. Sorry, this isn't your job or anything, but if you happen to know I'd appreciate the help!

Comment

• Originally posted by Tubect View Post

I backed it but can't see where I'm able to read it? I have my confirmation email and everything. Sorry, this isn't your job or anything, but if you happen to know I'd appreciate the help!
                                Anyone got an answer?

Comment

Working...
                                X