No announcement yet.

[WIR] Chicago by Night 5th Edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The reason no stats in V5 go over the 5 rating, is because when you start using dice pools greater than ten in size, you start making the Hunger system fail. Given the Blood Potency and Generation of elder vampires, they still get their massive power boost even without 11+ dice.

Matthew Dawkins
    In-House Developer for Onyx Path Publishing

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/matthewdawkins

Comment

Originally posted by The Gentleman Gamer View Post
      The reason no stats in V5 go over the 5 rating, is because when you start using dice pools greater than ten in size, you start making the Hunger system fail. Given the Blood Potency and Generation of elder vampires, they still get their massive power boost even without 11+ dice.
      Gotcha.

Honestly, I'm entirely okay with just having some NPCs be plot devices anyway.

If my player characters met Ur-Shulgi in 5E (which they did), it's not something that will be resolved by a shotgun with dragonsbreath rounds.

STATS:

"You die if you piss him off."

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Damien

Type: NPC

Synopsis: Former Anarch turned Sheriff of Chicago as well as professional musician.

Review: Damien is an interesting character and one of the ones which I've always felt was an iconic one of 1st Edition. He always felt like something that was meant to represent what a player character might look like from the outside. He was the ultra-tough ladies man who was, nevertheless, a teenage boy, and capable of standing up to the Sheriff on his own due to sheer combat discipline oomph. If you wanted to know what the player character of VAMPIRE: THE MASQUERADE: BLOODLINES probably might look like at the end of the game then Damien was a good example.

I have a pretty large history with Damien the NPC and it's interesting to compare that history with where the book has taken him. He's a character that was always used as a "friend if not exactly an ally of the player characters." Damien was always useful in the games I STed as a guy who could tell them about what was going on regarding events in the city but had enough disdain for the power structure he wouldn't get involved. It made him a useful contact and quest-giver and always helped paint the Anarch Movement in a sympathetic light. Sometimes, I'd have him and a few other Anarchs show up as backup when things went south.

So it's interesting that the development team has made him a traitor.

This isn't me complaining about the twist, far from it. I felt like they justified Damien choosing to become a Brujah sellout ala his archenemy Balthazar quite well. Having lost 1st Edition friends Johann Keller and Victoria McCoy, he was left adrift and Kevin Jackson played to his lack of purpose in life. Kevin Jackson is a charismatic NPC and also someone who threw Balthazar to the curb--it's easy (for me) to believe Damien would believe he's going to be a new kind of Prince. It's also no less wrong.

Making Damien the Benedict Arnold of the Anarch cause is certainly something that will be a source of good roleplaying for my group because it's something so unexpected. For older gamers, it's going to be a gut punch as seeing a former friend and ally killing Thin Bloods and Caitiff for no other reason than the Camarilla dictates. For younger gamers, Damien is a vampire wrecking ball that is devoted to Kevin Jackson and loyal without really the cunning or treachery that would allow him to be turned against his Prince.

I never bought Salvador Garcia's betrayal of the Anarch movement for the Kuei-jin and was glad when they reversed that in THE ANARCH sourcebook. I buy Damien's betrayal, though, because he's a guy who never had much of an ideological commitment to the Anarch cause. It was all about protecting his friends and he probably thinks he can do it better from this position. That's going to be wrong, though, because you can't betray everyone you know and think that's not going to have reverberations throughout the community. I'm going to be interested in seeing what sort of Kindred now think of Damien as their own vile enemy now.

I'm really interested in the "Ten Anarch" list which Kevin Jackson created and that is stated to be something both Damien as well as Gengis were given. Basically, Kevin Jackson saying, "Every Anarch in the city must leave or die but these ten who you get to pick." It's classic divide and conquer and it's all too easy to believe they fell for it. It also is an easy story hook to get the player characters to get ahold of these Anarch lists and reveal them to the others. But by that point, of course, it'll be too late. Damien and Gengis have already crossed the Rubicon by murdering Anarchs off their respective lists and who knows how many others have done so?

While I've harped at great length about Damien's treason (and could go on--really, it shows Kevin Jackson is a genius since he turned a major threat into a major benefit), a lot of his write-up actually describes how Baby Chorus functions in the modern nights. It's a band which has been functioning for almost 30 years with people who have never aged and Damien needs it as his Touchstone more than his mortal friends. There's a lot of care and detail which went into the creation of an underground indie rock band which never really was all that underground in the first place.

Good work.
        Last edited by CTPhipps; 01-24-2019, 07:48 AM.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Balthazar

Synopsis Former Sheriff of Chicago

Review: One of the strangest moments of my 5E Chicago by Night game was when the player characters encountered a semi-drunk Balthazar in the Succubus Club (which they "own" as a favor from Portia, who they reluctantly keep the secret of after saving her life in a very misguided act of mercy), Balthazar gave them a heads up on a scheme from Kevin Jackson that allowed them to save one of their Touchstones that had been targeted as a Masquerade breach.

I say its strange because the PCs *HATE* Balthazar and him just casually helping them as equivalent fo Superman getting a present from Lex Luthor. I also intend for him to help them in a couple of other Anarch missions in the future. This despite the fact one of the players (not the current PCs) has a history with him that involves the Sheriff locking him up in a room with a little girl until the Hunger got to him. They know he's scum but the politics of the city have turned around and it makes for very strange bedfellows.

I personally think Balthazar is one of the best NPCs ever created for V:TM. You kind of have to be when you inspire an entire class of characters. Prior to Balthazar, there was no such thing as a Sheriff and it was his nickname that resulted in every Prince getting their own version of him: a good which the player characters could be harassed by. I felt it was genius by Old White Wolf to also base him on a Southern Hick Sheriff as it nicely put the player characters in the role of Anarchs as a persecuted minority.

I grew up in the Deep South and really appreciate any game which treats a Confederate-loving Good Old Boy as a scummy horrible racist. I really like the fact they do have Balthazar confirmed as a racist rather than him just incoporating the iconography. Because, seriously, if you pretend to be a racist for a long time you're going to be one.

Now, that kind of attitude is not going to fly with Kevin Jackson and Sheriff has been kicked to the curb. Sheriff is no longer in the service of the ManTM so what does he do? He ends up siding with the Anarchs. He has no loyalty to the ideology but he doesn't need to because he's an Elder who knows the inner workings of the city. Would anyone trust him? No, hell no! However, the fact is that no one has to because it's Vampire: The Masquerade and shifting allegiances is like Game of Thrones.

The treason of Damien is also really good as a parallel to Balthazar. A century ago, Balthazar betrayed the Anarchs and killed his sire for a position in the Establishment. Here's the thing, though, Damien has done the exact same thing with the exception being that Critias is a similar "traitor" to the Brujah cause. He's treated as the Benedict Arnold of the Chicago Brujah community but Critias and Damien are every bit as contemptible if not more so.

Really, how pathetic Balthazar is treated is kind of hilarious to read about. He's almost bankrupt because h's used up all of his money without investing over the years. He has no friends among the Elders, only people who thought he used to be useful and they have Damien as their tool now. He's even considering becoming a pirate on Lake Michigan or its highways now ala The Fast and the Furious. I also have to give credit to whoever wrote, "Balthazar will couch surf with Kindred if it's available."
          Last edited by CTPhipps; 01-25-2019, 10:22 AM.

Comment

I'm really going to have to think on the next three because I think Anita Wainwright (who has her preview available here) is probably the best character in the entire book.

(It's a tie between Flyboy and Erzulie is probably my favorite original character in this book with the entire Lasombra clan being pretty close beneath them - I just absolutely love what they've done with a pre-existing character here)

Gengis is also a favorite.

The handling of the Anarchs in this book arguably does more for showing a complicated multi-faceted take on the Movement than Anarchs Unbound and that was previously the best portrayal of them in V:TM.

Comment

Anita Wainwright

Preview

Anita Wainwright

Review: Anita Wainwright is one of my favorite vampire NPCs ever created because she really does demonstrate "less is more." We love characters like Lucita, Fatima, Beckett, and others but they're larger than life crazy over-the-top characters that don't have much to do with the more grounded setting of undeath. Anita, by contrast, is a character who encapsulates a specific time and place in America (as well as Chicago specifically) while following her to the present. The lover of Theodore Dooley of the Black Panthers, the proverbial "hippie chick", and the perpetual Anarch activist who is a little bit more "street" than Maldavis but maintains her humanity despite being a vampire for multiple decades.

I'm really fond of the write-up for this character because the writer had the task of updating the character in an interesting way without fundamentally changing their circumstances. Critias, Damien, and Balthazar have all had their unlives turned upside down by recent events but Anita is still basically where she was in Chicago by Night 2nd Edition--so how do you make that interesting?

Well, in this case, it's expanding on the original character and adding numerous insights and consequences into who they are and what they did. In the case of Anita, it was expanding on her information network as well as role as one of the most consistent and idealistic Anarch leaders in the sect. Also, expanding on the fact Anita (despite her high humanity) has a lust for revenge that can be extremely self-destructive.

Basically, Anita went from being a somewhat side-kick like Granola Girl to the informal leader of the Anarchs in Chicago. In a very real way, she's Baron of East Chicago but hasn't formally announced her position for that yet. Mostly because she's competing with Gengis (a Brujah sellout) and Maldavis (a woman who exists basically to say "nope, not doing that"). I like the progression of the character and Anita strikes me as probably the best leader Chicago's Anarchs could have but she's not someone who naturally gravitates to power. Instead, she's someone who has been slowly evolving to it. In the absence of other leaders, the power vacuum has unwittingly molded her into the one they need. It's just she may not quite be vicious enough to pull it off (and could use people like the PCs to help her eliminate Jackson, Gengis, and possibly even Critias or Maldavis).

I actually think she's a character who works well as defined by her relationships too. I don't remember what you call an Anarch Sheriff (was it "Cleaner"?) but Anita has unwittingly lucked into one with Marc Levensque. She also is someone who has become aware Maldavis may be less of an asset to the Anarchs now than a drag. Her disgust with Critias is also matched by her knowledge he could be one of the greatest assets the Movement has.

I also love how she has a "Replacement Goldfish" for Theodore Dooley in her ghoul and how she plans to Embrace him. However, she doesn't want to Embrace him and flout the law of Jackson just yet (will she go to Gary to do it?). I'm actually very interested in this "Francis" character because I'm fairly sure were I to use him, I'd have the guy be hopelessly in love with Anita but very likely to lose all of those feelings once he's Embraced because he'd lose his Blood Bond plus be made aware he's just a substitute.

I'm a little iffy on her lust for revenge against the Lupines of Chicago. It's been 23 years since the events of Under a Blood Red Moon and that's a long time in the life of a Lupine. Assuming any of the Lupines who killed Theodore Dooley are still alive, that's quite a cold trail to follow. The book hints that she would be alright in taking revenge on their descendants which would be interesting given her high humanity. Also, because I'm a corrupt and evil Storyteller, I also wonder if this entire thing is potentially just a misunderstanding on her part. After all, the Sabbat also fought in the war and the Anarchs attacked people like Kevin Jackson and Lodin during the attacks. Dooley could have been killed by any number of people up to and including Sullivan Dane. Hell, he could have joined the Sabbat for all we know.

Linking Anita with the Nation of Islam in the present is something I'm back and forth on, not because it wouldn't have been a group she would have been involved in during the Malcolm X era but a question of how to maintain those ties in the present. It's doubly notable given the current Women's March controversy over ties with Louis Farrakhan. FYI, I'm surprised that the write-up also removes Anita's previous ties with the Sabbat in New York, including a Bishop there. It's possible she simply lost them when the city was taken but it was an interesting character quality I kind of regret her losing--especially since after NBN, I thought her contact was most likely Ecaterina the Wise of Redemption fame.
              Last edited by CTPhipps; 01-25-2019, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Hey, The Gentleman Gamer

Couple of questions if you don't mind sharing your insights:

1. How many Lupines has Anita killed, do you think?

2. Do you think she has any contact with Milwaukee Prince and famed Lupine hunter Mark Decker?

Comment

Gengis

Synopsis: Anarch patsy for the Camarilla

Review: Gengis is the perfect argument that many players have argued that the Anarchs are more entertaining as part of the Camarilla. Indeed, he's also a great argument against this position as he's the perfect embodiment as to why remaining "half in, half out" makes the character fundamentally cowardly and contemptible. It's also a perfectly understandable position as Gengis is the ultimate poseur who embodies the worst stereotypes of the Anarchs as "children who don't know how the game is played", "Kindred who will eventually grow out of their rebellious stage", and "guys who challenge the system solely for the reputation which comes from challenging the system."

At the end of the day, Gengis wouldn't know what to do with himself if the Camarilla didn't exist to be rebelled against. I can imagine his reaction to the assassination of Hardestadt and banishing of the Brujah from the Camarilla as his worst day. He is the kind of Anarch who doesn't want to create a new and independent society.

He wants to be a rebel and he relies completely on the image, attitude, and perceived badassitude of being a punk without ever being an actual rebel. Onyx Path did a wonderful job of taking what was always something of a joke character and expanding him to being both a critique of the Anarch movement as well as a way of illustrating most Anarchs AREN'T like Gengis.

Who I term to be a "Hot Topic" Anarch.

The scary thing about Gengis in 5E is that events have resulted in him becoming a leader rather than a follower. He's become old and charismatic enough (even if it's mostly through Presence) that younger Brujah, Caitif, and Duskborn look up to him as their champion. The fact he's up against Anita Wainwright (an actual honest-to-God true believer) and Maldavis (who is still as broken as she was in the sixties) makes him an interesting contrast.

I used Juggler as holding Gengis' new place in my previous games--the Anarch who exists to more or less make trouble but keep them out of the Elder's hair simultaneously. I fully believe a lot of less intelligent Anarchs would gravitate to Gengis because of sexism and racism honestly in addition to the fact he's the kind of guy to ask far less of them than the Anarchs' other leaders.

You can tell what Gengis is like because he respects Kevin Jackson and kind of want the Prince's approval even as he's ostensibly rebelling against him. Gengis, like Damien, is a traitor but he THINKS he's made a sweet deal where 10 Anarchs will be spared while the rest have to either get out of Chicago or will be subject to the Hounds' retaliation. I have to wonder how much crossover will be between Damien and Gengis' "lists." I fully believe Gengis will be satisfied with his own small-ish coterie of sycophants.

I also really like how much of a hypocrite this write-up paints him with his Country Club jaunts, his rich penthouse, and the fact that he lives off his parent's wealth posthumously. When the wrfite-up suggests Gengis is debating giving up his wealth, I fully believe the answer is not just no but HELL NO. I also feel that in a few more decades, Gengis will join the Elders as having "grown up."
                  Last edited by CTPhipps; 01-25-2019, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
                    Hey, The Gentleman Gamer

Couple of questions if you don't mind sharing your insights:

1. How many Lupines has Anita killed, do you think?

2. Do you think she has any contact with Milwaukee Prince and famed Lupine hunter Mark Decker?

1. Less than she'd like. She's not a war machine, but is clever enough to lure a werewolf into a trap and close the walls in on the poor bastard. She's not stupid though, and would never take on a full pack. This means a subtle campaign of picking off Lupines one by one.

2. I suspect she did until Decker declared Anarchs the greatest risk to Milwaukee since cholesterol and outlawed them entirely. If you think Jackson is tight with his ten Anarch limit, Decker shows that jumped up Blue Blood exactly how a Camarilla city should treat its rotten elements. Milwaukee purges are now a thing not just related to beer intake.

As an aside: I appreciate you crediting me with all the fun characters, but while I developed this book I didn't write all of it. Likewise, MRH didn't write much of the original Chicago by Night. I recommend for clarity you say "Onyx Path" or "Matthew Dawkins' team" instead of "Matthew Dawkins" and "old White Wolf" instead of "Mark Rein-Hagen". I love Mark, but he isn't singularly responsible for Vampire, and I'm proud of my work on this book, but I'm by no means singularly responsible for its content.

Matthew Dawkins

Comment

Sure.

I was actually asking if you wrote these entries rather than stating outright you did.

I'll change the references to authors as you requested.

Thanks also for the hints you've added to the contents of THE CHICAGO FOLIO and LET THE STREETS RUN RED. I'm sure everyone here would love to know more tidbits like that about Indianapolis, the suburbs, or Gary.

Last edited by CTPhipps; 01-25-2019, 10:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
                        Sure.

I was actually asking if you wrote these entries rather than stating outright you did.

I'll change the references to authors as you requested.

Thanks also for the hints you've added to the contents of THE CHICAGO FOLIO and LET THE STREETS RUN RED. I'm sure everyone here would love to know more tidbits like that about Indianapolis, the suburbs, or Gary.

I'm sure they would! I'll hint things as and when I can.

Matthew Dawkins

Comment

Originally posted by The Gentleman Gamer View Post

I'm sure they would! I'll hint things as and when I can.
                          Thanks also to your entire team for creating such an awesome book.

Comment

Gerard (Marc Levensque)

Synopsis: Back from the dead French Canadian anarchist.

Review: Resurrection is always a tricky thing to do, especially in games fundamentally as horror-focused as V:TM. Technically, Kindred come back from the dead all the time and you could easily justify a vampire becoming a wraith. However, there's the question of whether a canonical NPC death should be reversed if you have a story for them.

Personally, I don't see a problem with it as I felt Under a Blood Red Moon was far too ruthless in its purging of NPCs and removed a lot of local color in addition to some of the more boring ones. I mean, "Sir" was a Kindred who just liked to live on his yacht and feed on beautiful people but that didn't mean he was a bad character. I also felt we lost some interesting characters like Pham Hong, Brennon Thornhill, and Theodore Dooley.

I confess, I never thought Marc Levensque would make the cut as I never really saw the character as particularly interesting. Balthazar had a LOT of enemies among the Brujah ranging from Damien (who he Embraced the sidekick of) to Maldavis (who he murdered the friends of) to Anarchs in general. So, I never really thought Marc's anger at his sire over his long-dead grandsire/lover worked very well. This entry turned that around for me as Marc has emerged from Lupine-induced torpor a stronger and more interesting character.

I derive a bit of humor from the character's rename as one of the primary PCs in my Chicago by Night campaign (and 20 years of V:TM to begin with) is also named Gerard. I'm wondering if I should have him impersonating my PC because they're both French Canadian and even look a bit alike from their description. It would be an interesting bit of serendipity. I also give props to the description of Marc's attire which allows me to use images of WATCH_DOGS' Aiden Pierce in-game (also a Chicago resident).

Marc fulfills a new role in the Anarch Movement as he's a meathead Elder. Despite being a century older than Anita Wainwright, he has completely devoted himself to her ("knight to her lady" if I was a Toreador or Malkavian) as she's the brains between the two of them. As the book describes, Marc is fully capable of helping them burn the Prince's haven to the ground and probably would do so without question but couldn't follow a normal plan for more than a week. He's angry, Brujah angry, and needs something to hit.

I like their relationship because if you want to make Anita Wainwright into Baron of East Chicago, IN (which is a separate city from Chicago and something I could see Kevin Jackson letting go from his territory to serve as an Anarch territory) then he'd make the perfect Cleaner to serve as her muscle. He also makes Anita's claim to being Baron all the stronger because he is the kind of "punch problems first and make sure he punches them last" that the woman needed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Chicago,_Indiana

East Chicago is also fairly close to Gary, Indiana and could easily also be part of its territory and probably a better Barony headquarters even with the city's slow revival. Mind you, I would also put a Pentex facility in the middle of the city and also have Lupines working against it--making it not the best sort of place to Anarchs to take root but also giving Anita somehting to focus on eliminating before realizing they are more than mere savages.
                            There's a couple of issues I have with Marc's portrayal and part of that is I'm not actually sure why he hasn't just straight up made an attempt to murder Balthazar. Yes, Blood Hunts are a possibility but the simple fact is now is probably the best time you're ever going to get a chance to ambush the guy and make him disappear. I could imagine Marc wants something more "Count of Monte Cristo" but while I'm sure Kevin Jackson would make political capital out of it, Balthazar's death is something he'd quietly raise a glass of vitae to.

One final element I want to talk about is the fact this entry incorporates something that was also present in Anita's entry and I think is sorely underused in V:TM: romance. Yes, we're all about how vampires don't sparkle and are horrible undead corpses but romance is a fundamental part of the genre because it's not always a pretty thing. It can inspire us to possessiveness, hatred, jealousy, and so many other wonderful vamprie-y emotions.

Gerard/Marc wants revenge for his dead lover Alexius but it's implied he's developing a substitute relationship with Anita and has started dating a mortal woman who reminds him of her. Anita is meanwhile planning on Embracing a substitute for Theodore Dooley from her ghoul. There's a lot of wonderfully messy complications for both of them there as well as their human slaves/Touchstones. I see potential frenzies, murder, and realization of TRUE FEELINGS ahead. Possibly Francis also trying to kill his sire and Marc having to maybe kill his lover when she finds out he's a monster.

Ho ho ho.

Or maybe Anita and Marc will simply realize they should be together rather than chasing ghosts and substitutes.

*pause*

Nah.
                            Last edited by CTPhipps; 01-25-2019, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Brujah thoughts

+ I'm a huge supporter of 5E but I am not blind to its faults. Compared to V20, 5E suffered a very simple issue: it was severely lacking in writing. I don't mean this in the "bad writing" sense (I love V5's writing) but the literal absence of writing.

We had a lot of radical changes but not much information on how these changes were perceived or affected the average vampire on the street. It took awhile to get to THE CAMARILLA and THE ANARCH guides but both were somewhat distracted by other topics that I don't think either did as well as previous supplements. Great flavor text but not enough, "This is how people feel about X and Y."

I'm sorry, that's the way I feel.

+ Good writing is a cure for a lot of ills and the biggest benefit of CBN5E, IMHO, is that it gives us very good examples of what is going on with the Clan Brujah in 5E. In the main book, we're told Theo Bell assassinated Hardestadt (Ding Dong the Witch is dead) that resulted in the Brujah being exiled. How do the Brujah feel about losing their formerly important status as one of the seven clans of the Camarilla? What did the common vampires think? What did the elders?

Here, we get a sense of how that worked.

* Critias is trying to maintain his previous position in the Camarilla. He's acting like nothing has changed but has doubled-down on his loyalty to the Prince of the City. Critias is even trying to impose Camarilla Traditions and law on Neonates but his anger as well as own personal issues means he's a ruthless tyrant who has gotten who knows how many vampires killed.

Indeed, it's very likely he had that poor Neonate who praised Menele killed.

+ Damien "grows up" by selling out everyone but his coterie with Baby Chorus. In my games, Kevin Jackson briefly experimented with owning his own branch of Death Row Records (Suge Knight and his Bloods connections means the two know each other in the WoD). So, Kevin Jackson actually intends to profit from Baby Chorus--he just isn't sure how to do so without violating the Masquerade TOO MUCH. He's a traitor but clinging to the Camarilla for money, stability, and being too afraid to live life without its stability.

+ Balthazar is a guy who has lost his position in the Camarilla because of the changes in the situation. While it's not mentioned in the book, I have no doubt that Kevin Jackson heavily played up the "if Theo Bell could betray the Camarilla then no Brujah could be trusted." Its hypocritical on his part and probably KJ respects Bell more than most Ventrue Princes but he also believes the guy threw away a great opportunity (and would have supported Bell to be Justicar of the Brujah).

Balthazar is out of the establishment, so of course he's become an Anarch by necessity. Because, at the end of the day, a vampire's one true loyalty is to himself. Indeed, Balthazar might find himself more likely to be a Baron anywhere **but** Chicago. He has too much history here but probably would have been welcomed by Camarilla domains rocked by the Anarch "threat" or at the head of a group of white supremacist (or simply white period) leaning Brujah.

Balthazar Prince (or Baron) of New Orleans? Maybe go north back to Canada?

+ Anita Wainwright is a character who has stepped up because of events. They've forced her to become a more powerful potent leader with the Camarilla no longer there to serve as a cushion for Anarchs in the city. Depending on events, she could become a leader of the Anarch East Coast movement. However, she needs to let go of her Lupine obsession or resolve it. Also, she can't trust Critias. I'm also interested in what she thinks of Damien since I can't help but think that betrayal is PERSONAL.

I can totally see her taking the initiative to kill Balthazar, Damien, and Critias and Jackson himself.

+ Gengis is a guy who nicely plays the Camarilla vs. the Anarchs for his own benefit. He doesn't want to be ruler of an Anarch Free State unless it's small and something he can control. He's a despicable sell-out that assumes he's genuinely doing good by his Clan. It's also an excellent potential usage for the character as a political wheeler and dealer. I'm not sure if Dusable has Dominated him into obedience around this but I'm inclined to think he only has him giving him regular updates.

He doesn't want the Anarch vs. Camarilla to have spilled out into open war like it did and is in denial, basically.

+ Gerard just sought a new leader to follow and I'm very fond of the fact he's found that in Anita.

One thing I'm really excited about is getting more in-universe documentation from these characters. There's a whole chapter of Anarch-related material set for release in THE CHICAGO FOLIO and these are such strong personalities, I'm looking forward to reading it.

I'm hoping we'll get Anita, Maldavis, and maybe some other characters arguing about the Movement and events in-universe.
                              Last edited by CTPhipps; 01-26-2019, 01:48 AM.

Comment

Caitiff

Caitiff are kind of an interesting thing in Vampire: The Masquerade because no one really knows to this day what causes them and they're sort of an orphaned character concept. Thin Bloods have gone on to become their own thing while other Caitiff are merely "unclaimed" members of existing clans.I've always been fond of the Clanless, though, and especially like their role in the Anarch Movement as well as Sabbat. My view of the Clanless is that for whatever reason, a fundamental mystical connection between the sire and their childe just never materializes and they sense it on some level. It exists with Gangrel, Malkavians, and others but just snaps with others.

However, other Caitiff really are just that way because they aren't part of their clan's society. I draw this distinction because it's one which has an effect on Maldavis and other Clanless. I'll get into that latter. "The Unclaimed."

Dickie Fulcher (Deceased)

FYI - I should also note this section opens up with the revelation Dickie Fulcher is missing and presumed dead. I find this to be a sad thing because I felt Dickie's story was never completely realized. The character of Dickie was a fascinating study in contrasts because he was an idealistic punk who believed strongly in Maldavis as well as her Kindred reforms while also being a serial killer.

Dickie Fulcher used his impressive Obfuscate to hide from Lodin and constantly moved from haven to haven. However, that was done by going from home-to-home in Suburbia, Dominating the families within, feeding from them, murdering them, and then moving on. It was the kind of strike against "society" that made him worse than the Establishment by far. Sadly, we never got the confrontation between Dickie and Maldavis which I felt would have been an epic bit of roleplaying as she was forced to choose between her humanity as well as her closest supporter (perhaps last remaining supporter).

Edward Neally claims credit for killing Dickie Fulcher and it's interesting to speculate that Dickie was hated so much by the Camarilla that this is considered to be a step toward his redemption. Indeed, Kevin Jackson seems to be much more accepting of the Sabbat defectors to the Camarilla than the Anarchs. That's not necessarily a flaw as it means Jackson is aware who is his enemies and his supporters but it does show a sort of myopia that explains why the Camarilla lost the Anarch's even grudging detente.

Using them against the Sabbat and throwing them to the Second Inquisition is the reason the Camarilla radicalized the Anitas and Maldavises of the world.

Maldavis

Synopsis: Failed Anarch revoluionary and secret Tremere.

Review: Carol Davis has the somewhat dubious distinction in my games of having the most PCs fall in love with her. I think there's been a total of five times PCs have attempted to romance her. There's something about the beautiful failed Civil Rights activist and Anarch leader who is the brains to the Anarch's usual "stupid" brawn that makes her quite attractive. There's also the fact I often used Rosario Dawson as a picture for her that might have also helped.

I've always been fond of the character and think she actually fit this role very well. Very few PCs actually want to run a city so if they ever do overthrow the Prince of Chicago, if she can manage it, then she would be the ideal person to do it. Mind you, all of my players are cynical enough to believe that a Humanity 10 (or 8 as she's depicted now) is not going to be able to control a city of bloodthirsty and nasty vampires too.

So even if Maldavis ever did become Prince or Baron of Chicago, it's probably not something that would last long. She did have a very good period as Primogen of Chicago's Tremere, though, in one game. Also, she's presently the Prince of the Milwaukee Free State in my current V5 game and is running a "True Blood"-esque artificial blood plant. It may not be very nourishing for low generations but for the high generations? It's a godsend (Cainesend?).

Okay, enough about my weird use of the character in my games.

The depiction of Maldavis in CBN5E is actually fairly close to the original portrayal of the character with some expansion. We get more explanation as to what her ties among the city's liberal Democrats are, who her enemies are, and what exactly her plans are. She wants to create a city of equal vampires and that would be a very admirable plan if it wasn't pretty much doomed to failure. As Solas said in Dragon Age: Inquisition, paraphrased, "The generally good should never give up power because while one person can avoid corruption, an organization never can."

Indeed, one of the strangest things about her entry is the fact the book really highlights how utterly screwed Maldavis is. One of her chief advisors is Portia and Maldavis is about the only major vampire dealing with Helena completely to buy into her lies. Maldavis is also planning to manipulate Anita to be leader of the Anarchs in her stead as she doesn't want to make herself a target again (a fairly cowardly philosophy that also WON'T WORK because Anita is the only Anarch sharp enough to actually keep up with Maldavis).

Indeed, the depiction of Maldavis is she's a Kindred who has fallen behind the times. The Anarch Movement could have used her as a national leader like Salvador, MacNeil, or (sweet Caine) Rudi. However, she's still focused on playing political power games agaisnt Kevin Jackson and others. Maldavis completely underestimates Jackson because he's really a lot better and stronger Prince than Lodin ever was, having no Primoegn to hold him back as well as a connection to the 21st century. She's also got no real friends among the Anarchs and the one she might (Anita) is one she's got no respect for.

The book strongly hints the only way Maldavis is actually going to get out of the hole she's dug for herself is if she abandons the Anarch cause and joins House Carna. The feminist Tremere clan would probably "claim" her and introduce her into the magic of the Clan. Which fits into my view that for the Tremere at least, she could stop being Caitiff.

BTW, I assume we all can agree Dusable's relationship with her is delightfully Games of Thrones fucked up.
                                Last edited by CTPhipps; 01-26-2019, 06:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X