No announcement yet.

[WIR] Chicago by Night 5th Edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course people fell for her if you used Dawson's photo.

Comment

I admit, that may have been an excuse as I used Dawson for Evelyn in another game. I may use Tessa Thompson for her if I ever get them in the same room together.

Hehe.

Other photos/celebrities I've used are:

Allicia: Marion Collitard/Lily James

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._edited%29.jpg

Modius: John Cussack's Edgar Allan Poe

https://images.csmonitor.com/csm/201...andard_900x600

Critias: A bearded Anthony Hopkins

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/cd/22...05f5e1714f.jpg

Tyler: Michelle Rodriguez (does it make sense, no, but the attitude was right)

http://www3.pictures.stylebistro.com...jRl6I9gful.jpg

Annabelle: Nicole Kidman ("No, darling, Nicole Kidman looks like me.")

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...an3cropped.jpg

Victoria Ash: Mila Jovavich (she photoshopped out the fang)

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/M...gLfIs69D3l.jpg

Hesha: Tony Todd

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...rgjTuoYX-VII1u

Brett Stryker: Brad Pitt in Snatch

https://moviesratedgreg.files.wordpr...rad-pitt-e.jpg

Son: Stuart Townsend

http://wikipicky.com/uploads/actor/S...20Townsend.jpg

Anita Wainwright: Elyse Levensque

https://dvdbash.files.wordpress.com/...-wordpress.jpg

Helene: Monica Belluci

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/b5/4b...13b7b3f04a.jpg

(It's hard casting for "the most beautiful woman in the world/history")

Lucita: Eva Green

https://iwatchstuff.com/2013/01/29/eva-green-sin.jpg

(Should I have gone Spanish? Maybe but she has a wonderful collection of pics)

Ramona: Jessica Alba

https://newamericanjackets.b-cdn.net...her-Jacket.jpg

Karl Schrekt: Sean Connery

I sadly lost my pick of him but I had the idea of, "A guy who can convincingly threaten you with a sword while wearing a suit in his late middle ages. I presume Karl learned English from a Scotsman."

Gordon Keaton: Christian Bale in American Psycho

https://images.mentalfloss.com/sites...size=1100x1100

That one was almost too obvious

Etrius: Patrick Troughton

http://www.doctorwhoworld.co.uk/wp-c...2/2nddoc4d.jpg

The other option, ironically, being Bela Lugosi

Bobby Weatherbottom: T.J. Miller

https://411mania.com/wp-content/uplo...ol-645x370.jpg
      Last edited by CTPhipps; 01-27-2019, 02:06 AM.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Michael B Jordan as Theo Bell,Yay or Nay?

Comment

Jordan might be too conventionally handsome for Bell, who in my head is more rugged.

Comment

Wesley Snipes is just a little TOO on the nose....but works so well.

You could make a joke about it.

Actually, my players did multiple times. Including one point where Theo Bell is upset because Blade is British in the comics. Michael B. Jordan as an actor is almost perfect for shaved head Jackson, IMHO.

Kevin Jackson smiling (which is always faked)

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/59/f3...0b93bc9f35.jpg
            Last edited by CTPhipps; 01-26-2019, 11:37 PM.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Bennet Steadman

Type: NPC

Synopsis: Caitiff frontman for a Nosferatu criminal. Owner of the Red No. 5.

Review: Bennet is an interesting dramatic foil for Kevin Jackson as a character because the two have some similarities in their background (if only in being black male criminals who are far more intelligent as well as capable than society gives them credit for--I personally would raise Bennet's Intelligence from 2 to 4 or at least 3, honestly). In Bennet's case, he works as a fairly interesting sign of how a "good" version of Jackson might have worked without the level of raging ego and ambition that drove him to seize the Princeship of the City.

Mind you, Bennet could be very much like Jackson in a few decades as he isn't lacking in ambition. Bennet would very much like to get out of his Nosferatu Malwa's grip and is considering becoming beholden to Alan Sovereign in order to do that. It doesn't take a Intelligence 5, Politics 5 character to realize this would be a staggeringly bad idea as Sovereign would chew him up and swallow.

I like Bennet as he fulfills a nice role formerly occupied by Brennon Thornhill, the Columbian Succubus Club owner and drug dealer (no national stereotypes there). Brennon was a useful character because he could be an ally, an enemy, or a quest-giver without really ever settling down on one side or the other for the PCs. He was a vampire but not one that was as evil as Lodin or as good as Maldavis. He just wanted to enjoy the sweet life of non-stop club girls, cocaine laced blood, and keeping player characters from shooting it out with Balthazar on his dance floor.

I think Bennet could very much work in that respect with the players able to become good friends to him or rivals depending on their actions rather than things swinging either way. He's got no allegiance to the Anarchs or Camarilla (though the latter doesn't recognize Caitiff or 13th generation as anything other than gutter trash) but might be pushed one way or the other as circumstances permit.

Bennet is also the kind of character who I appreciate comes with some ready-made adventure hooks as well: taking out his substitute sire, finding out his "actual" sire is a Tremere psychopath, and also financial dealings. My PCs own the Succubus Club in my 5th Edition Chicago game (more precisely--Helene lets them run it for her since they saved her life to their deep deep regret). That means that Bennet might be an interesting enemy for them to have in a relatively low-stakes conflict as he tries to acquire it, sabotage it, or maybe make a cross-promotion alliance.

"You cater to the white Goths and yuppies, I cater to the black and hispanic crowds." - an offer that wouldn't necessarily go over well.

Bennet also works well as a "romantic" character too and I appreciate the book emphasizes his casual power over the women around him as well as how he uses it. Way more Herds probably would be, "beautiful men or women" than we admit.

Best line: "It smelled of Isaac Hayes and old Donald Goines novels" which is an amazing introduced tion Adze the Nosferatu.

Random Thought: Did Adze get permission for Bennet's Embrace from Jackson or is that a possible threat to his unlife?

Overall, he's just a solid and interesting Neonate character.

Comment

Francois Mamuwalde

Synopsis: A fabulous vampire drag queen who has been living under the radar for 50 years.

Review: Francois Mamuwalde (after the true name of "Blacula" -- props to the author that "Dragula" is never used by the character despite how big of a temptation Francois must have to do it) is already the most controversial character from Chicago by Night 5E. The black vampire drag queen just ticks a lot of gamers' radars in ways which make them uncomfortable. Personally, I think the character is fascinating because it rightly references people like Francois were the individuals who rioted at Stonewall (and the Stonewall movie was rightly criticized for ignoring black gays and drag queens were its heroes as opposed to the film's white male "straight gay" protagonist).

This is a character who also has a lot more interesting backstory by its writer. They are apparently an homage to members of their own family and an intensely personal character. Also, one with a lot more interesting story than could fit straight into the book. I leave this link up to allow readers to learn a bit more about the creation of them.

https://jazintellect.wordpress.com/2...ogetically-me/

The short version of Francois history is he was always aware she was transsexual (or perhaps just just a gender nonconforming gay man), was thrown out of their home, became a prostitute, participated in Stonewall, and then was embraced by Gordon Keaton. Gordon, apparently, embraced her 2 years after his own Embrace (I checked the dates since I always felt he was a very 80s character while Francois is very 70s).

I'm not sure why Gordon did since he was always a racist sociopath (and presumably homophobe too) but I'm going to say that he wasn't entirely comfortable with regularly murdering his victims back then. So, when he drank too much he tried to save them. Given he abandoned her immediately after, I'm inclined to think it wasn't much of an attempt at redemption anyway.

Francois didn't successfully adapt to being a Kindred and survived primarily by vampire media until he was taken under the wing of Erzuli. The two proceeded to make a Blood Cult devoted to the worship of Lilith through sex, dance, music (DISCO), and bloodletting (consensual I'm going to assume). It now has something like twenty Caitiff members, which would without putting too fine a point on it, make it the largest faction of vampires in Chicago. I feel this accomplishment, achieved under Lodin and Balthazar during the height of their power, needs a round of "I LIKE THE NIGHT LIFE, BABY" by Alicia Bridges.

Seriously, the fact that so many Kindred hid themselves from Camarilla society and the Second Inquisition until they revealed themselves is a sign that how easy it is to actually hide as a vampire if you don't just choose to visit the Rack or Elysium. It also has to be an enormous pain in the ass for Kevin Jackson because they're "too big to fail" and attempting to wipe them out will almost certainly drive them to the Anarchs. Indeed, the trio of Azde, Francois, and Erzuli (with Bennet coming up somewhat behind) don't NEED to be Anarchs because they ARE Anarchs that have created their own Free State within Chicago and rule it directly in defiance of the Traditions. They've had more success than Maldavis, Gengis, and Anita combined to the point that I wouldn't be surprised if Jackson HAS to do something about them or he'll look completely impotent (Lasombra defection or not).

I'm a little nonplussed that they were able to hide so many Kindred with no one, not even Khalid suspecting, but am willing to actually accept the argument that Kindred culture may be a great deal more accepting of gay and trans as well as "outsider" culture in general but it didn't exactly have its pulse connected to those cultures in Chicago period. As such, it was an area where Lodin and Balthazar just completely ignored matters. Weirdly, I'm going to say that Al Capone is probably the one Kindred who is/was aware of the Blood Disco as providing those establishments with their alcohol and locations was one of the Italian mafia's former sources of income (institutional homophobia never getting in the way of good business). Balthazar if he ever heard about it probably couldn't stand visiting for five minutes before leaving in a huff.

I'm not sure how I'd ever use the Blood Disco in my game, though I'd almost certainly play it up as entering a place out of time and space--stepping into the 1970s disco heyday. It does offer an excellent opportunity to use the Cult of Lilith (I'm a Church of Caine man, myself) and also showing how a fully functional Anarch state might actually work. Forget the Anarch Free States, this is a city-sized Anarch population with no infighting as near as I can tell. MacNeil and Maldavis need to study this. ("Don't dream it, be it." - Rocky Horror picture show).

Great, now I can't help but think of Francois with Tim Curry's voice.

*scribbles down notes*
                Last edited by CTPhipps; 01-27-2019, 05:25 AM.

Comment

When are you going to post again? Because now you are leaving us in
                  antici....

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy RPG Reviews View Post
                    When are you going to post again? Because now you are leaving us in
                    antici....
                    Amusingly, I created this review thread solely to keep my Chicago by Night fix under control until I can read THE CHICAGO FOLIO and LET THE STREETS RUN RED.

If I go through it too quickly, I'll end up in withdrawal!

I might end up reviewing Masks of Nyarlathotep or something equally non-vampiric!

Comment

...pation!

Comment

Nickolas "Sweetie Pepper" White

Preview:

Sweetie Pepper

Synopsis: A radical black activist, criminal, and professional assassin.

Review: Nickolas "Sweetie Pepper" White is a character I have mixed feelings on. This isn't to put down his writing or the design but he's a character I have difficulty figuring out what to do with, honestly. He is wonderfully designed but he's someone that I will have to think about long and hard before I insert in my games.

FYI - There's a mistake in this write-up as Sweetie Pepper's Generation is given as 10th generation. Lodin was 7th generation and that's the reason all of his creations are 8th generation, so Sweetie Pepper as the childe of Alphonse Capone would be 9th generation.

The premise of Nickolas White is that he's a a criminal from the 1960s and early 1970s who violently resisted the White EstablishmentTM, the Black Criminal EstablishmentTM, and more or less every single sort of person who he felt disrespected him. This lead to a ridiculous large body count that approached John "The Boogeyman" Wick levels. Lodin proceeded to order his death because he was making things difficult for his operations. Al Capone decided to do this personally and Embraced him instead. Capone took the time before Embracing him to explain Sweetie Pepper had been a pawn in the Jyhad and all of the people he'd killed had been at his behest. Capone, despite his RL racism, apparently admired Pepper's pluck and gave him the Dark Gift but wiped his memory of his identity.

Nickolas has apparently been killing Camarilla Cainites, white establishment figures, and people in general ever since. So much so that Lodin ordered a Blood Hunt for him, Juggler tried to smuggle him out of town, and Nickolas responded by burning down the Anarch leader's haven. He's the kind of character that I think would have been mentioned in previous editions given the kind of waves he seems like he'd make.

Indeed, Nickolas is very player character-ish in that he strikes me as the kind of guy who would make huge waves where he'd go given he has zero fucks to give. He has also Athletics 4, Brawl 5, Firearms 4, Stealth 3, Melee 4, and Potence 3. I'm surprised he doesn't have high Celerity. You'd think he'd really need to be doing something for the past 50 years other than being in a city where he strikes me as the kind of guy who would come up with the player character plan of, "Hey, let's go kill the Prince tonight."

Which is a great game-changer even if it fails but is a gun you can only fire once. If I was writing the character, I'd have him have made a Round Trip of the country with dozens of potential Kindred murders and a quasi-folk hero status among the Anarchs.

Sweetie Pepper, interestingly, reminds me of a subject of one of our sessions as I adapted the history of "Stag" Lee Shelton (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stagger_Lee) to the identity of a Setite NPC's history. Stagger Lee, for those unfamiliar with the controversial folk hero, is one of those criminals like John Dillinger who entered the (black) public consciousness as someone larger than life despite not doing anything remotely admirable other than kill a man for his hat. It led to a very catchy song that's been covered multiple times and would make a good one in the next Fallout game.

I feel like the best use for Nickolas is to use him as an almost Joker-esque trail of chaos that rides through town and leaves things completely changed. The fact he doesn't want to kill Kevin Jackson (because Kevin is black and hard like him) is an interesting twist for such a nihilistic criminal. This despite the fact Nickolas knows he'll eventually get another Blood Hunt leveled against him if he doesn't have it already. I do like one twist, though, that Sweetie Pepper does have a few allies in terms of his coterie in the city and one of those is Balthazar. The white nationalist slaver and the black power advocate may sound like a bad joke but they don't have to like one another to get revenge on a society they feel has wronged them.

I feel like he definitely could also be used as a Anarch legend not living up to his reputation--in this case possibly a reputation as a freedom fighter and enemy of the man who really is just a psychotic but charismatic killer.

That's just me, though.
                        Last edited by CTPhipps; 01-28-2019, 03:23 AM.

Comment

A couple of thoughts for The Gentleman Gamer if you'd be willing to comment on them.

1. Sweetie Pepper has a connection mentioned with Juggler. Is he considered someone who might have killed him canonically? Will we find anything more about his fate?

2. Is it too soon to ask any details about the Gary Chronicle and what we might know from it? You said the Milwaukee one will be recovering something Matt Decker lost.

(Acknowledging my insane fandom for the place drives me to ask)

Edit:

FYI, my visual inspiration for Sweetie Pepper is the best thing in JASON GOES TO HELL, Steven William's Creighton Duke.

https://media.comicbook.com/2017/12/...45-1280x0.jpeg
                          Last edited by CTPhipps; 01-28-2019, 03:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post
                            A couple of thoughts for The Gentleman Gamer if you'd be willing to comment on them.

1. Sweetie Pepper has a connection mentioned with Juggler. Is he considered someone who might have killed him canonically? Will we find anything more about his fate?

2. Is it too soon to ask any details about the Gary Chronicle and what we might know from it? You said the Milwaukee one will be recovering something Matt Decker lost.

(Acknowledging my insane fandom for the place drives me to ask)

Edit:

FYI, my visual inspiration for Sweetie Pepper is the best thing in JASON GOES TO HELL, Steven William's Creighton Duke.

https://media.comicbook.com/2017/12/...45-1280x0.jpeg
                            1. Will we find out more about what happened with Juggler and what he's up to now? Yes.

2. Yes it is too soon.

Matthew Dawkins
                            In-House Developer for Onyx Path Publishing

Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/matthewdawkins

Comment

Mercy Valdez

Synopsis: A woefully out of her depth Neonate social worker.

Reviewer: I felt like one of the saddest times for Vampire: The Masquerade was when everyone was creating 300 to 800 year old Elder badasses using the Transylvania or Giovanni Chronicles to justify these old as dirt powerhouses. I say this as someone who created a Humanity 10, 800 year old Ventrue, who SHOULD have been Prince of Chicago because I wanted it.

Okay, where was I? Oh yes, the thing is that newly embraced vampires are probably one of the easiest roleplaying opportunities. It's inherently dramatic and lends itself to overacting and dramatic acts of VENGEANCE or ANGST. It's the equivalent of, "my family was killed by Nazis/Mafia/the Prince! I must kill them!" Obviously, we don't actually get many newly embraced vampires in stories because we like them to have roots and webs of alliances. Still, it's why I prefer Ramona to Beckett as the signature Gangrel NPC. Beckett is awesome but we needed SOMEONE to be the Fledgling.

Mercy Valdez is a great character because she's recently turned and has NO IDEA how things work. She's also a Friendly Neighbrohood Vampire (see TV tropes)--it's even in her epitath. Her character isn't without the horror of vampirism, though, killing her mother and then her sire in rapid succession. The Anarchs found her soon after and then got an earfull from her about community building, how they dressed, probably how they smelled, and to get the hell out of her life.

Mercy is presently seeking out more "civilized" vampires and is hoping to find people like her and not those EVIL AWFUL ANARCHS. Being the Anarch fanboy that I am, I really appreciate the dramatic irony that she doesn't realize they are the closest thing to the "good guys" in V:TM. At least as far as her particular circumstances are likely to go.

Speaking as a Storyteller, I'm fairly sure the things that are going to happen when she finally does make contact with the Camarilla are going to go like this:

* They are disgusted with a Caitiff Embraced without the Prince's permission.
                              * They will be horrified by the fact her brother Abe knows about the Masquerade.
                              * Damien will be sent to burn down her home with her and her brother in it.
                              * Mercy will be in desperate need of help from either the Anarchs, the PCs, or both.

It's a very easy and very dramatic storytelling beat. Indeed, the "first night of the Embrace" was what I chose as the plot for STRAIGHT OUTTA FANGTON (my vampire novel). Interestingly, the protagonist wasn't the newly changed vampire but an Anarch-inspired reactionary who had to explain, "This is how the world works." One of the best moments from Mercy's write-up is she drove out the Anarchs because they didn't understand she didn't consent to any of this.

The probable response from them being, "Yes. And? None of us consented to this."

Bluntly, that kind of dismissal is going to come off as harsher than intended but the simple fact is vampirism is a place where consent is almost nonexistent ranging from blood to sex to self determination to your very free will.

So great character and lots of adventure hooks.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gentleman Gamer View Post

1. Will we find out more about what happened with Juggler and what he's up to now? Yes.

2. Yes it is too soon.
                                I'll accept 1# to answer 2#

Comment

Working...
                                X