• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CTPhipps
    started a topic [WIR] Chicago by Night 5th Edition

[WIR] Chicago by Night 5th Edition

Hey folks,

I'm a huge fan of Chicago by Night 1st Edition, 2nd Edition, the original Baptism by Fire, and most of the subsequent books set in the Rust Belt area. Really, the only books I don't care for are Blood Bond and Diablerie: Mexico which is only nominally set in the Chicago Chronicles anyway.

So, I was really excited about the prospect of a 5th Edition of Chicago by Night. I donated to the Kickstarter and was very pleased to get to read the completed manuscript. I did a re-read of the original CHICAGO BY NIGHT and LA BY NIGHT as well on RPG.net that were very popular. Now, I'd very much like to do one here for you guys on CBN5E.

I'll analyze the characters, discuss the plot twists, and talk about how it fits into V20 as well as V5E. I hope everyone will join in on this thread who has access to the manuscript (as well as people who don't) with their own opinions as well as discussion of plot points.

Special thanks to The Gentleman Gamer for writing it!

Reviews of Content

Fiction

Four trips to the Second City
    Red No. 5

Resources

The World of Chicago
    Welcome to the Night [Lasombra] part 1
    Welcome to the Night [Lasombra] part 2
    The City part 1
    The City part 2
    The City part 3

Banu Haqim

Khadij Al-Kindi
    Aicha Rana

Brujah

Critias
    Damien
    Balthazar
    Anita Wainwright
    Gengis
    Gerard (Marc Levensque)

Caitiff

Maldavis
    Bennet Steadman
    Francois Mamuwalde
    Nickolas "Sweetie Pepper" White
    Mercy Valdez
    Nerissa Blackwater

Gangrel

Rosa Hernandez
    Lester Knife
    Duncan MacTavish

Lasombra

Sierra Burrace
    Celia Arcaceil Rivera
    Rabbi Michalis Basaras
    Talley the Hound

Malkavians

Jason Newberry "Son"
    Alexa Santos
    Evan Klein

The Ministry

Marcel
    Thea Noel MacCrain
    Aluc Romas de Leon

Nosferatu

Cedrick Calhoun
    Wauneka

Edith Beubien
    Nathaniel Bordruff
    Charles "Crook" Dawson
    Rowan
    Adze

Thin Bloods

Ben Galura
    Noah "Flyboy" Grewal
    Sylvia Roanhorse

Toreador

Annabelle
    Brett Stryker
    Nero
    Kathy Glens
    Erzulie
    Helena

Tremere

Abraham Dusable
    Erichtho
    Sun Che

Ventrue

Kevin Jackson
    Horatio Ballard
    Alan Sovereign

Naomi Stewart
    Lodin (Olaf One Eye)

Bobby Weatherbottom

Coteries

The Anarch Center
    Baby Chorus
    Remaining Coteries

Lasombra

Lasombra
    Oblivion

Loresheets

Loresheet part 1
    Loresheet part 2
    Loresheet part 3
    Sullivan Dane (Non-Canon)

Adventure Hooks and Chronicles

Adventure Hooks part 1
    Adventure Hooks part 2
    Adventure Hooks part 3
    The Sacrifice
    Last edited by CTPhipps; 05-29-2019, 10:31 PM.

• CTPhipps
    replied
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...65117771263598

Let the Streets Run Red is now back from approval.

Here's the titles of the chapters.

Leave a comment:

• CTPhipps
    replied
    Here's my review of the final product:

http://booknest.eu/reviews/charles/1609-chicagobynight

5/5

CHICAGO BY NIGHT 5TH EDITION is technically the third edition of the seminal Chicago by Night city book supplement for Vampire: The Masquerade. Way back in 1991, the book was released for the then-new series about playing tragic misunderstood creatures of the night a decade before Twilight made it uncool. The book was a shocking change the kind of books present from Dungeons and Dragons or even Call of Cthulhu. It was adult, edgy, racially diverse, sexually diverse, and full of complicated politics your player characters were meant to involve themselves in without shooting up the place. Well, yeah, they'd probably shoot up the place anyway but it wasn't advised.

The premise is the same for Vampire: The Masquerade as a whole. The World of Darkness is one where immortals walk among humanity, feasting on their blood and forming complicated societies that continually jockey for power like a vampire Game of Thrones. The young rebel against the old, the poor against the rich, and the powerful pull the strings of the weak(er).

As awesome as the original CbN was, it's almost thirty years old now. It was updated in 1993 for Second Edition but even that was part of an era's end. City books have never been the best selling products of Vampire: The Masquerade and the setting ended with lots of potential ways for the main characters to affect the city. Any further updates would be immaterial as the city would be unrecognizable.

Nostalgia has a powerful effect on the aging gamer, though, and Onyx Path Publishing revived the V:TM gameline with the Vampire: The Masquerade 20th Anniversary Edition. We're now on the 5th Edition of that game and they've created a similar update to the Chicago setting. It was successfully Kickstarted in 2018 and only now has been released to the public.

The new Chicago is secretly ruled by Kevin Jackson, a former Cabrini Green gangster turned respectable undead businessman. He has successfully seized control over the city in the chaos of the recent events in the setting and set down a brutal set of laws designed to make him the most revered Prince in America. He has recruited some of the Anarchs (rebellious young vampires) who opposed the former Prince and turned them against their fellows.

The book updates the setting to 2019 from its early Nineties roots. A lot of social, government, and economic changes have happened both to Chicago as well as the nation as a whole. The history of Chicago incorporates such things as the failed Chicago Olympics bid, gentrification (including the destruction of Cabrini Green), and the collapse of Gary, Indiana from a dying town to a dead one. It also incorporates some facts about society ranging from segregation to violence in order to better roleplay the city's inhabitants.

This is a gorgeous book and one that was made with every possible attention to detail. The art is different from both the classic black and white V:TM art as well as the V5 photoshopped pictures. Every vampire in the book has a portrait and while not all of them match their original appearances, most are just beautiful. The layout is also extremely well done, drawing attention to the little sidebars and tidbits designed to make the lore evocative.

The real appeal of the book, though is it's immense attention to detail as well as its usefulness for making the controversial 5th Edition make sense. While a fan of 5E, I feel it made numerous missteps and may have changed too much for the average player. This is not the case here as we see a seamless blend of the old with the new. Things like the Beckoning, Second Inquisition, and Anarch/Camarilla War are all integrated in an organic fashion that allows what was good about the old to be kept while advancing the plots of characters in new directions.

I absolutely love the method of handling NPCs in this book with every one of them detailed with mortal history, vampire history, their current plots, mortal retainers, and what their public identities are. It's everything you could possibly need to know how to do serious roleplaying as well as any number of adventure hooks with practically any character. Characters I loved in this book were Anita Wainwright, Critias, Maldavis, Bennet Steadman, Flyboy, and a dozen others.

The book continues the original CbN's conflict between the Anarchs and the Elders. V5 was criticized for returning to this conflict over the Camarilla vs. Sabbat but I love it. Kevin Jackson is ruthlessly purging the Anarchs but doing it in a subtle backhanded way. The conflict has multiple leaders and partipants that mean, however the PCs choose to fight the war (if at all), they have strong personalities to work off of. The treason of Damien, a long-beloved Anarch hero, worked surprisingly well in illustrating how the years can wear down even the most noble soul.

Diversity-wise, this is one of the strongest books in V:TM for any edition. There are gay, straight, transgender, black, white, Native American, rich, and poor characters that help illustrate Chicago from multiple perspectives. As a better author than me said, "reality has a diversity bias." One thing that I shouldn't be happy about but am is the fact that with only one or two exceptions, almost every vampire in the book has a horrifying side to go along with their more likable qualities. Even decent-ish folk like Anita Wainwright crave bloodthirsty (ha!) revenge on their enemies or plan to use other Kindred as dupes.

A lot of gamers don't buy books for the storybeats and world-building, though. How is the crunch of the book? Well, the biggest thing the book provides is the rules and material for the Lasombra. One of the biggest criticisms of V5 was it didn't provide rules for popular clans the Assamites, Giovanni, Followers of Set, Tzimisce, Lasombra, and Ravnos. The Lasombra get a full write-up here with roughly half the clan defecting to the Camarilla as well as rules for their new discipline of Oblivion.

The authors of the book have the hard job of explaining why the Lasombra, a fanatical and snooty clan that hates all things Camarilla, would join with their ancient rivals. I think they did a pretty good job of making it justifiable. The fact that only half the Clan joins also makes it believable to me. I won't spoil their reasoning but it's spelled out in their Clan section.

If I had to pick a favorite part of the book out, it would probably be "The Sacrifice" which is a chronicle at the end of the book that could easily fill out an entire campaign for player characters. The player characters are assigned by Prince Jackson (willingly or not) to serve as bodyguards as well as tourguides for a visiting Lasombra delegation. If the negotiations go well, they can make the Lasombra a part of the Camarilla (something the player characters may wish to prevent). While published adventures are always a bit of hit and miss, I feel this did an amazing job. It also showed why some Lasombra would probably fit in well to the Camarilla while others would just make it worse. Kudos to the creators.

Stats-wise, in addition to the write-up for Oblivion, we also have plenty of adventure hooks and Loresheets. The book provides the rules for creating your own cities and adventures plus also making coteries for vampires to interact with. It's not my cup of tea but I think people wanting to expand their city-write ups will find the book more than worth its cost. I think my favorite of the Loresheets has to be the Book of Nod and Malkavian Madness Network. Both of which will help my current characters.

Are there any criticisms? Well, die-hard fans of V20 will note that this book isn't metaplot agnostic by any means. The Second Inquisition plays a huge role, large numbers of characters have succumbed to the Beckoning, and many old characters have been knocked off by the random hand of fate. A few characters like Joshua, Al Capone, Juggler, Dickie, and Doctor Genet also get mentioned but aren't detailed in the book. They were detailed in previous supplements but new gamers could be confused by their inclusion.

In conclusion, Chicago by Night 5th Edition is an amazing book. I loved every single V20 book and I'm probably not the person to criticize any work by Onyx Path. However, I think this is easily the best of 5th Edition and shows exactly what can be accomplished in that setting if you give it a chance. A lot of old favorites return and are made better, deeper, and more intense by their updates. The new characters also include what I'm sure will be classics to come. It's not the best V:TM book of all time but it is probably in the top five.

* The book is available to gamers who buy backerkit and will soon be available on pdf for interested buyers.
    Last edited by CTPhipps; 07-31-2019, 03:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• CTPhipps
    replied
    The art and layout for the book is fantastic. Not sure what else there is to say about it anymore.

I also think they've added quite a bit more to the manuscript.

I don't remember Doctor Genet being mentioned in the original for example.

Leave a comment:

• grimler
    replied
    Originally posted by CTPhipps View Post

So, what are you guys looking forward to most and why?

I remember reading somewhere that the 5E Players Guide was going to include rules about using pre 5E lore and information about all 13 clans. If so, that's what I'm looking forward to buying. If I use any of the HUGE changes from 5E lore, I may use the Hecata. I do like what I have heard about changes to the Giovanni/Cappadocians/Samedi/Whatever-else-is-being-included.

Chicago by Night for 5E really knocked my socks off. I really enjoyed reading my backer PDF copy. Money well-spent.
    Last edited by grimler; 07-27-2019, 04:01 AM.

Leave a comment:

• CTPhipps
    replied
    CHICAGO BY NIGHT is now available to Backers!

Enjoy the awesomeness of Chicago!

Edit:

Really awesome job, guys!

Last edited by CTPhipps; 07-26-2019, 02:04 AM.

Leave a comment:

• CTPhipps
    replied
    Ready for Backers pending WOD approval!

Leave a comment:

• CTPhipps
    replied
    Almost there according to 23:12

Leave a comment:

• Draconis
    replied
    Originally posted by Kammerer View Post
    I'm going to disagree and say that "The Cobweb" is the single worst loresheet written for V5. It is a glaring design fumble that does not fit the way any other loresheet has been designed.
    No other loresheet is an incremental buildup. Golconda 1-5 is not "you get a bit more golcondier" with every dot. Cult of Shalim gives discrete benefits and the fifth dot is not shalimier than the first one.
    I agree that the book's wording is kind of a mess; here's how I reinterpreted it (and how I would use it in my games).
    1. You can "tune in" and listen to what's happening on the Network; you receive messages meant for you without a roll, and can make an Awareness roll to pick up the general states of nearby Malkavians.
    2. You can send short messages and phrases to individual other Malkavians who are nearby. They receive these automatically if they have the first dot, or with an Awareness roll if they don't.
    3. You can send out a single message to all Malkavians nearby, indiscriminately. They all receive it as per the dot-two power above, and the range is wider than for dot two.
    4. You can borrow the senses of a direct ancestor or descendant. Usually this is limited to a single step removed (your sire or your childe), but you can make a roll to reach further through the web of blood ties.
    5. Someone on the Cobweb acts as a Mawla—it might be the global hive-mind as a whole, it might be an older Malk who has an interest in you, it might even be a fragment of an Antediluvian, nobody knows. May be different entities for different people who buy this level. But someone out there is helping you, and can offer you a wide variety of knowledge from across the years…all filtered through Malkavian madness, of course.
    The dots don't have to be purchased in order, so it's possible to be able to receive and broadcast, but not send to a specific person. Or you might be able to send messages to specific people, but not be very good at receiving messages or picking up on anything not directly sent to you.

Leave a comment:

• Kammerer
    replied
    The Cobweb (Malkavians)

Okay, this is absolutely awesome and every Malkavian should be able to have at least 1-5 of this and the ability to buy it in. I find it strange it's in Chicago by Night 5th Edition but that's just because some great writers are there. It should be an essential loresheet.
    I'm going to disagree and say that "The Cobweb" is the single worst loresheet written for V5. It is a glaring design fumble that does not fit the way any other loresheet has been designed.
    No other loresheet is an incremental buildup. Golconda 1-5 is not "you get a bit more golcondier" with every dot. Cult of Shalim gives discrete benefits and the fifth dot is not shalimier than the first one.

But the Cobweb is designed like an incremental buildup, and it's executed badly at that. Dots 1-3 are incremental "you can use a magic phone". Of these only Cobweb 3 has a game mechanic attached to it, and that game mechanic makes it worse than Cobweb 2. Because with Cobweb 3 you can summon malkavians to you once per story, but with Cobweb 2 you can talk with malkavians whenever. Cobweb 4 is an incredibly niche benefit that I wouldn't rate above one dot. Cobweb 5 is basically fine, though in my opinion overpriced and requires extra discussion on how doing what Malkav wants benefits you.

I'm also miffed by the fluff piece spending a paragraph to speculate on the existence of Malkav and whether he spies on people through the web. If you are going to write that, then you shouldn't immediately follow with the power to spy on people through the web and a power confirming the existence of Malkav.
    Last edited by Kammerer; 07-15-2019, 08:40 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Grumpy RPG Reviews
    replied
    OPP made MIlwaukee a major part of the new canon with House Carna...
    But I thought she had left Milwaukee for points unknown. Has she returned?

Cults of the Blood Gods, mostly for the Harbringers.

Leave a comment:

• Nicolas Milioni
    replied
    http://theonyxpath.com/super-super-s...meeting-notes/

News Update: June 25th, 2019

An update from someone obsessively following the Monday updates of the game but we're coming to a close on the release of Chicago by Night apparently. They've begun laying out the NPC section and that is the bulk of the book there. They've also sent The Chicago Folio to White Wolf for approval. Let the Streets Run Red and Cults of the Blood Gods are still in the Development stage of things but I wouldn't be surprised if they are going to go for Approval next week. This is very impressive as it means that TCF and LTSRR probably won't be released that far from Chicago by Night 5E.

Things seem on track for an August release like they initially promised.

Now here's a bunch of completely unsubstantiated speculation and hopes from me.

Cults of the Blood God, as Matthew Dawkins helpfully indicated, will probably get a Kickstarter and that means we probably won't see it until next year around August. That's not a bad thing as quality is worth waiting for. I also hope we'll get some good stretch goals from this that relate to the Giovanni, Cappadochians, Ministry, and perhaps Golconda. I don't know what's going to be in this book beyond the Hecata but I'm certainly excited about exploring Kindred spirituality. Do I hope it'll have the possibility of additional supplements like CBN5E?

Yes, but it's too early to tell on that end. I'm sure whatever they plan will be awesome.

On Let the Streets Run Red, I've been kind of stupidly obnoxious about my enthusiasm for new Gary material (sorry guys) but I am also really looking forward to both the Chronicle dealing with Milwaukee being updated and also the Chicago suburbs. OPP made MIlwaukee a major part of the new canon with House Carna and I'm intrigued by the idea of Matt Decker turning his hatred of Lupines to a hatred of Anarchs.

I don't know what's going to be in the suburbs but I'm hoping we'll see updates for some of the missing Cainites from the V5 update for Chicago. Maybe Dickie survived? Who knows.

I'm also every bit as excited for The Chicago Folio because I love in-character fiction and want to see stuff from the Chicago Anarchs about the new situation. I love all of the Chicago characters so it'll be great to get to hear their "voice's." I also want to see some more information about the Church of Caine which is so far criminal underdeveloped. The Second Inquisition too.

On a non-vampire front I'm looking forward the Technocracy Reloaded too but I kind of hope they dial back on the Technocracy's niceness. Also World of Darkness Ghost Hunters. The other games may be an Edition behind but it's still all canon.

I'm majorly excited for Cults of the Blood Gods,to see a new take on the Clan of Death,of course,but also to see the church of caine and mithraism!

Leave a comment:

• CTPhipps
    replied
    http://theonyxpath.com/super-super-s...meeting-notes/

News Update: June 25th, 2019

An update from someone obsessively following the Monday updates of the game but we're coming to a close on the release of Chicago by Night apparently. They've begun laying out the NPC section and that is the bulk of the book there. They've also sent The Chicago Folio to White Wolf for approval. Let the Streets Run Red and Cults of the Blood Gods are still in the Development stage of things but I wouldn't be surprised if they are going to go for Approval next week. This is very impressive as it means that TCF and LTSRR probably won't be released that far from Chicago by Night 5E.

Things seem on track for an August release like they initially promised.

Now here's a bunch of completely unsubstantiated speculation and hopes from me.

Cults of the Blood God, as Matthew Dawkins helpfully indicated, will probably get a Kickstarter and that means we probably won't see it until next year around August. That's not a bad thing as quality is worth waiting for. I also hope we'll get some good stretch goals from this that relate to the Giovanni, Cappadochians, Ministry, and perhaps Golconda. I don't know what's going to be in this book beyond the Hecata but I'm certainly excited about exploring Kindred spirituality. Do I hope it'll have the possibility of additional supplements like CBN5E?

Yes, but it's too early to tell on that end. I'm sure whatever they plan will be awesome.

On Let the Streets Run Red, I've been kind of stupidly obnoxious about my enthusiasm for new Gary material (sorry guys) but I am also really looking forward to both the Chronicle dealing with Milwaukee being updated and also the Chicago suburbs. OPP made MIlwaukee a major part of the new canon with House Carna and I'm intrigued by the idea of Matt Decker turning his hatred of Lupines to a hatred of Anarchs.

I don't know what's going to be in the suburbs but I'm hoping we'll see updates for some of the missing Cainites from the V5 update for Chicago. Maybe Dickie survived? Who knows.

I'm also every bit as excited for The Chicago Folio because I love in-character fiction and want to see stuff from the Chicago Anarchs about the new situation. I love all of the Chicago characters so it'll be great to get to hear their "voice's." I also want to see some more information about the Church of Caine which is so far criminal underdeveloped. The Second Inquisition too.

On a non-vampire front I'm looking forward the Technocracy Reloaded too but I kind of hope they dial back on the Technocracy's niceness. Also World of Darkness Ghost Hunters. The other games may be an Edition behind but it's still all canon.

Last edited by CTPhipps; 06-25-2019, 04:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• CTPhipps
    replied
    This is a great art piece.

Maldavis?

Leave a comment:

• CTPhipps
    replied
    WOOT!

More art!

No idea who the Anne Rice-looking woman is.

Would love to know.

Bronwyn maybe?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X