No announcement yet.

[V5] Protean Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my personal take is that I might still rule it as aggravated but only if the standard bite test (eg a grapple first) is made. On a standard attack with your chompy fangs, you’re not getting deep enough to do agg. I’d give the +2 damage from FW though.

Comment

Originally posted by Murdoc View Post
      As I said: 1) Disguise, 2) faster running, 3) better sense of smell (and maybe hearing). VTM isn't all about combat.
      The Wolf was in earlier edition supposed to be a combat shape, in terms of out of combat use the bat is probaly the better shape.

On the other hand, the wolf was allready in the older editions (appart from the rules in the revised Grangel Clan Book) not really better for combat than the feral claws (maybe even worse,if you are wearing armor).

Comment

In V5 the bat form (or any form that changes your shape significantly) is a different power: Metamorphosis (4 dots). Shapechange would definitely be better value if it included the flight form too, right now it's pretty mediocre and I might end up taking some boring but incredibly practical fortitude powers instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubect View Post
          In V5 the bat form (or any form that changes your shape significantly) is a different power: Metamorphosis (4 dots). Shapechange would definitely be better value if it included the flight form too, right now it's pretty mediocre and I might end up taking some boring but incredibly practical fortitude powers instead.
          I know, but it means there is not much a point in getting Shapechange, if you plan to pick up Metamorphosis.

Comment

Originally posted by Aahz View Post
            I know, but it means there is not much a point in getting Shapechange, if you plan to pick up Metamorphosis.
            Well, outside of the fact that it is listed as a prerequisite for Metamorphosis.

-Red
            V20 Content: Age & Potency
            V5 Content: The Masquerade, Tzimisce and Vicissitude, Loresheet: Chicago, Resonance Flavor, Morality System
            Development Manager, Developer at Hunters Entertainment

Comment

Also, Metamorphosis grants you an additional form. Shapechange allows you to select one form, Metamorphosis allows you to select another.

Comment

Originally posted by Tubect View Post
                Here’s a goofy follow up question: Feral Weapons does superficial damage, but isn’t halved. Vampire bites are aggravated damage. One of the example for Feral Weapons is snake like fangs (aimed at Setites presumably). Are those Feral Weapon attacks aggravated or superficial? If superficial, Feral Weapons would actually make the Vampire less effective if that’s how they manifest their weapons.
                This came up with me. I have a Setite with Serpentis 2 and when V5 dropped, we tried rolling him over to the new system. We discussed having the fangs just for the traditional snake imagery. I suggested also implementing part of VDA20 Serpentis 2: Typhonic Maw where it allows for a bite without grappling to offset the weirdness of "I use a level 2 Discipline power to make my bite somewhat less dangerous than normal." Ultimately, we just went with claws and called it good.

Side note on Protean: I'm not sure I appreciate the fact that rolling a character into V5 means you now have to give up one of the following: Earthmeld, "Fight" Form, "Flight" Form or Mist. Too many tricks in one bag?

Comment

Originally posted by Garygeneric View Post
                  Side note on Protean: I'm not sure I appreciate the fact that rolling a character into V5 means you now have to give up one of the following: Earthmeld, "Fight" Form, "Flight" Form or Mist. Too many tricks in one bag?
                  Noticed that too. I think Protean needs a decent alternative Level 4 power. But, since I am reasonably sure that Vicissitude gets rolled into Protean, I think we'll see one. Otherwise there is hoping for the Player's Guide.

Comment

I'll probably end up skipping earth meld. It's a theoretically useful power (if I were really a vampire, I'd for sure want it) but I don't think it's going to come up in play very often. If we get to a point where the coterie is going to turn to ash unless I use earth meld, the game has gone pretty far off the rails (and I'm the lone survivor anyway). I guess there are recon uses and other things that I haven't thought of, but I'm generally fine with skipping it.

Comment

Rather than start a new thread I figured I would necro this thread. The core book says, "the vampire gains the Physical Attributes, senses, and native Skills associated with that animal (see p. 373)" however it doesn't say that you lose your original skills. So the first question is how does four dots in Brawl (While in Protean Beast Form) work with a wolf with a six dice physical pool work? The second is how does a Wits 3 vampire interact with a Exceptional Dice Pools: Awareness 3. The third is how does a wolf have six dice of physical but an exceptional dice pool of five for stealth?

Here are my guesses at answers
                      1) Two options;
                      a) the speciality is the only thing you add (so seven dice in this example)
                      b) Assume that the dice pool is half stat half skill (round up for stat and down for skill). So if you have four dots in brawl you would have 3 dots from stat, 4 from skill and 1 from your speciality.
                      2) A wolf has 1 die of mental stats but 3 in awareness so they have a skill of 2. So a vampire with 3 in wits would have an awareness of 5 while in wolf form assuming they don't have any dots in awareness.
                      3) Wolves are less stealthy than their skills in other physical skills would suggest? Also less stealthy than a bear for some reason ...

How have other people handled this over the last five months since this question was asked?
                      Last edited by Farast; 07-15-2019, 12:46 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X