V5 Morality

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Red Eye
    Another thing that I have considered is the idea of allowing for the stacking of Convictions to mitigate Stains. So, a character who could make the argument that they are actually upholding two of their Convictions by killing with Premeditation would be able to reduce the incoming Stains by -2 and thus fully rationalize their actions (this plays into have stronger beliefs makes it easier and easier to rationalize various actions). This might be another altogether acceptable way to allow Paths to get by on some of the otherwise unavoidable Stains. Then the Loresheets could convey other kinds of Abilities still thematic for the Path, much in the way the Bahari one operates now.
    That's certainly a possibility. I could easily see "stacking Convictions" as a tool to help modeling a Path since the system it's more detached and flexible than previous editions and Path followers will want to have Convictions that reflect it anyway. One could even ask for sinergetic Convictions as one of the prerequisites to start creating a Path (as in, you need to have 6 Convictions that relate to each other to craft a new morality. Can't craft the Ethics if you don't believe in them)
    Last edited by Aleph; 02-26-2019, 01:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aleph View Post
      That's certainly a possibility. I could easily see "stacking Convictions" as a tool to help modeling a Path since the system it's more detached and flexible than previous editions and Path followers will want to have Convictions that reflect it anyway. One could even ask for sinergetic Convictions as one of the prerequisites to start creating a Path (as in, you need to have 6 Convictions that relate to each other to craft a new morality. Can't craft the Ethics if you don't believe in them)
      Funny, while I was working through all of this I was starting to think about that a little myself - the fact that in this type of system things are actually getting pretty close to having the tools needed to allow players or Storytellers to create new Paths. The process of building ethics into a philosophy that can be adopted by others.

You've sparked some ideas here - I'll probably end up expanding on this some more now. There is potential I think I'd like to explore.

-Red V5 Fan Content: The Masquerade, Tzimisce and Vicissitude (non Program take), Loresheet: Chicago (pre CbN V5), Resonance Flavor, Morality System Project Manager, Developer, Community Outreach at Hunters Entertainment

Comment

Thanks for the feedback on Morality - it's great to get other perspectives on these things, especially from people without the same emotional investment like the characters do!

As for 'stacking convictions', i've been working with this already - didn't consider if it was in the rules or not. i've also done it for Chronicle tenets as well - for example, recently my PCs needed some things for a necromantic ritual - as such the had to get the Skeleton of a child that would then be ground into powder to form a protective circle (Children are representative of innocence). This breached two of my Chronicle tenets - Treasure the past and Don't be a monster.

i think morality has to work both ways - yes, sometimes multiple convictions will help you, but some acts also contravene multiple taboos and moral wrongs.

Comment

Working...
        X