Vampire the Masquerade 5th edition sales

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ostarion View Post
    Alright, the next ICv2 chart is available. And here it is.
    1 Dungeons & Dragons WotC
    2 Pathfinder 2e Paizo
    3 Shadowrun 6e Catalyst Game Labs
    4 Vampire 5th Edition White Wolf/Modiphius
    5 Star Wars Fantasy Flight
    So, the big release of Pathfinder was added to the chart with the release of the 2e similar to when L5R came out, however it will probably have better longevity due to historical reasons. Shadow also released its 6th edition during this period. I am not aware of the reviews or acceptance of this although i know it is a cyberpunk style of game with more fantastical elements. Vampire 5th edition maintains its position despite not releasing any new modules and books during this period and beating out Star Wars as well, which has fallen to the 5th position. I imagine that if Vampire continues to chart, it will have proven its longevity for over the year period in which it is being tracked. Am I correct in this assessment?
    Pretty much. The main thing to note is distribution channels. Vampire is getting out there, basically. The overtaking of Star Wars is surprising, but maybe the pull of the IP is declining slightly with the last movie out (and not much new product coming for the RPG). Vampire hasn’t actually had any new supplements during this quarter, but I think it’s appeal is being sustained anyway.

Shadowrun 6th edition got mixed reviews, with some heated online discussion, which isn’t dissimilar to V5s release. However, I think in both cases, the number of impassioned fans is probably greater than with other games - and the expressions of anger and disappointment more readily given.

I wonder if Shadowrun 6E slips a little after it’s initial run that we might see some competition from the upcoming Cyberpunk Red. If V5 can get some more supplements out and garner some community growth, it may get into the Top 3 next time round.

Comment

Originally posted by Trippy View Post

Pretty much. The main thing to note is distribution channels. Vampire is getting out there, basically. The overtaking of Star Wars is surprising, but maybe the pull of the IP is declining slightly with the last movie out (and not much new product coming for the RPG). Vampire hasn’t actually had any new supplements during this quarter, but I think it’s appeal is being sustained anyway.
      Vampire 5th Edition got a major push via Geek and Sundry. That was a genius bit of marketing on Jason Carl's part. He took advantage of Twitch (and now Penny Arcade) to sell to the Matt Mercer crowd.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Clarification on timing because I see a lot of erroneous information getting tossed around:

The original World of Darkness was published from 1991-2004.
        • 2004: What fans called the "new World of Darkness" (now the Chronicles of Darkness) began publication.
        • 2006: CCP purchases White Wolf
        • 2009-2010: CCP/White Wolf stops traditional publication of the CofD game lines and Exalted, switching to a PDF/print-on-demand model. Since it's no longer on store shelves, it drops of ICv2 listings.
        • 2011: V20 is published, bringing back the original World of Darkness. CCP opts to stop tabletop publication entirely for various reasons. WW Creative Director Rich Thomas decides to start Onyx Path Publishing with the license to continue publication of WW products.
        • 2012-2017: Onyx Path continues the PDF/PoD model, with the exception of limited deluxe/prestige print runs via Kickstarter, so products still aren't in traditional distribution, and thus off ICv2 lists, although we do very well on DriveThruRPG.
        • 2015: CCP sells the White Wolf IP to Paradox. Onyx Path continues to license the IP from Paradox for publication.
        • 2017: Onyx Path starts to its Kickstarter model: projects are funded not just for a deluxe edition, but for a print run to get into traditional distribution. I believe Pugmire is the first of these products, followed by Scion 2nd Edition, Prince's Gambit, Monarchies of Mau, Cavaliers of Mars, Changeling: The Lost 2nd Edition, Trinity Continuum, Scarred Lands, and more to come. Some products start to appear on ICv2 ranks.
        • 2018: With the assistance of Modiphius, Paradox releases the new Vampire 5e and its first supplements into traditional distribution, jumping the World of Darkness back into the ICv2 ranks.

Ian A. A. Watson
        Onyx Path Community Manager
        Trinity Continuum Content Lead

Comment

In Spain, Vampire the Masquerade 5th edition is distributed by Nosorol by the traditional way (without crowdfoundings). In fact, V5 coexist now in the same stores with V20, WW20, M20... The 20th anniversary editions were crowdfounded and begun being published in 2014, the editorial is still struggling to finish the former line of supplements while publishing the new V5 books. The advantage is, after the crowdfounding, the 20th books are distributed traditionally to he stores and supplied regularly. So anyone could purchase any supplement published years ago. In the sales area, some blogs and webs maintain registers and estimations based in the information that the store provide. Vampire 5th edition it is only behind D&D 5h and Call of Ctulhu. The three games form the trinity of the most played. Kult was published in spanish the last year, but it seems that not perform very well. Was more a product for nostalgic collectors than for players.

Comment

Originally posted by Justycar View Post
            In Spain, Vampire the Masquerade 5th edition is distributed by Nosorol by the traditional way (without crowdfoundings). In fact, V5 coexist now in the same stores with V20, WW20, M20... The 20th anniversary editions were crowdfounded and begun being published in 2014, the editorial is still struggling to finish the former line of supplements while publishing the new V5 books. The advantage is, after the crowdfounding, the 20th books are distributed traditionally to he stores and supplied regularly. So anyone could purchase any supplement published years ago. In the sales area, some blogs and webs maintain registers and estimations based in the information that the store provide. Vampire 5th edition it is only behind D&D 5h and Call of Ctulhu. The three games form the trinity of the most played. Kult was published in spanish the last year, but it seems that not perform very well. Was more a product for nostalgic collectors than for players.
            That’s interesting. I think the ICV2 sales are worldwide, but there are local differences or sure. I’m actually a big fan of Kult too, but I would say that you may possibly have some very, very controversial images in the core rules for Spanish version because they couldn’t be sold to minors.The US translation actually censured them out, but I wouldn’t let anybody under the age of 18 buy Kult regardless to be honest. This would mean that they’d have limited sales - but I regard Kult: Divinity lost as a work of art, rather than a commercial release. Vampire has to carefully straddle the line of wanting to be artistic too, but also be able to sell in significant numbers.

Also, seeing as we are on to Spanish roleplaying, I also have the translation of Aquelarre - which is awesome too!

Comment

Aquelarre is a great game, I hope you enjoyed. The only local game that have achieved international impact, for the moment. The author. Ricard Ibañez, had published recently other title about the conquest of America. About Kult, I identify two more problems for the sells, added to the crudity of the art and the censure. First, the mechanics do not perform well in a horror game, or so is said by most of reviews. And more important, there are two editorials to publish and translate all the foreign games. Nosolorol published Kult after many crowdfoundings of Vampire, Mage and Changeling. They are suffering to put an end V20 th anniversary line of supplements. May be, and this is a personal speculation, our market is saturated of crowdfoundings. Fortunately, V5 is performing very well. Even though as a result to the problems with Camarilla handbook, the books was published only one month ago and Anarch this week. It could be possible that Chicago by Night or The Fall of London awaits 2 or 3 years to being translated and republished, to most of the costumers the language is a barrier.

But I hope, the same way that France by night is a wonderful piece of art and background, a love letter to Dark ages, that more licensed supplement could be published. I know that Modiphius CEO revealed in an interview the possibility of a Rome by Night and a Paris by Night for V5 a few month ago. A Madrid or Barcelona by Night would be cool setting for the unexplored Europe in Masquerade. But my best wishes are under a Dark ages Granada by Night, playing the fall of Al andalus and the Omeyas.

Comment

Originally posted by Justycar View Post
                Aquelarre is a great game, I hope you enjoyed. The only local game that have achieved international impact, for the moment. The author. Ricard Ibañez, had published recently other title about the conquest of America. About Kult, I identify two more problems for the sells, added to the crudity of the art and the censure. First, the mechanics do not perform well in a horror game, or so is said by most of reviews. And more important, there are two editorials to publish and translate all the foreign games. Nosolorol published Kult after many crowdfoundings of Vampire, Mage and Changeling. They are suffering to put an end V20 th anniversary line of supplements. May be, and this is a personal speculation, our market is saturated of crowdfoundings. Fortunately, V5 is performing very well. Even though as a result to the problems with Camarilla handbook, the books was published only one month ago and Anarch this week. It could be possible that Chicago by Night or The Fall of London awaits 2 or 3 years to being translated and republished, to most of the costumers the language is a barrier.

But I hope, the same way that France by night is a wonderful piece of art and background, a love letter to Dark ages, that more licensed supplement could be published. I know that Modiphius CEO revealed in an interview the possibility of a Rome by Night and a Paris by Night for V5 a few month ago. A Madrid or Barcelona by Night would be cool setting for the unexplored Europe in Masquerade. But my best wishes are under a Dark ages Granada by Night, playing the fall of Al andalus and the Omeyas.
                From personal experience, I feel a bit saturated with crowdfunding, so you may be right about that! Kult is very much a niche product, and that niche needs to have a hungry market for it to make it successful. I would say, however, that it never used to be a major seller before either - just a notable game for horror enthusiasts.

Personally, thought the mechanics of Kult - Divinity Lost were a massive step up from the blandness of the previous 'Roll under D20’ mechanics of earlier editions, although some people seem to have a big aversion to any game associated with Apocalypse World which the new system was based on. I’m not sure what the arguments were against it, but all people interested in Kult ought to listen to Matthew Dawkin’s The Summit live play audio found on the Red Moon Roleplaying. The system is clearly unobtrusive and, for me, works well in the horror genre because of this. There could have been a reaction to Kult not including the ‘Mental Balance’ score as they used to, which I found jarring at first as it was something of a central mechanic in previous editions. However, I find the system to be strong at running horror, per se - so I’m not sure where people are coming from, honestly.

In the case of V5, the system is it’s own beast in some respects. Obviously it is based on the Storyteller games of old, but it’s very specifically designed to play in the way it sets out to do, rather than be an adaptation of another system.

I think there was plans to translate a bunch of other Aquelarre games, furthering the timeline and so on, but it took them three years to complete the Kickstarter campaign, so it may take a while! It’s an awesome corebook though, and the magical elements are very evocative.
                Last edited by Trippy; 01-05-2020, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X