Vampire Exercise?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vampire Exercise?

I don't remember where I read this, but I seem to recall there being a bit of lore in this series claiming that a vampire's stamina is supernatural in nature. As long as they aren't forcefully driven into torpor, a vampire does not feel any sort of fatigue throughout the night.

This has me wondering as to what would happen if a vampire attempted to perform some kind of workout routine after waking up for the evening. Would they theoretically be able to exercise for 12 hours straight, without needing to pause and recover their energy?

Another thing I'm curious about is what effect the embrace has on the physiology of somebody who was embraced very late in life. Like somewhere between the ages of 70 to 100 years old. Without the aid of Potence, Celerity and Fortitude, would the embrace grant them the same strength, speed and vitality as when they were young and in their prime? I'd hate to think that vampires who look elderly are only powerful because they're heavily relying on Disciplines to compensate for their physical frailties.

If I'm not mistaken I believe there were flaws in revised and earlier that covered the old age before the embrace situation. Sadly not near my books at this time.

Comment

I run my game with the understanding that the starting stats/age etc is "natural". If a PC wants to increase their stats they can off camera "work out". However I have seen the old age thing as being all supernatural, like the frail old man who is stronger than he should be or more resilient. I think that was in Revised if I remember correctly.
      I use my way to simply put a bit of logic to xp expenditure. We don't put a lot of thought into it.

Currently running: Gary/Chicago By Night

Comment

In terms of mechanics, Stamina is still an attribute for vampires like it is for anyone who is alive. Unless the rules specifically state otherwise that a vampire is immune to a certain effect, Stamina should be rolled like any other attribute when it is appropriate.

Obviously, a vampire's powers are supernatural. If not, they'd be an inanimate corpse. In that sense, the supernatural powers (derived from Blood) act the same as food serves for the living.

How a vampire improves their stats is some kind of supernatural occurrence. I don't think anything as pedestrian as exercise is what improves a vampire's strength, dexterity, or stamina. They are still dead, and their muscles will not grow. It is something else that improves it.

I've always felt that the state of their mortal form is pretty much the basis of their initial state as a vampire. However, because a vampire can burn blood to increase physical stats, they can easily feel much more alive and powerful. And of course, they can increase their attributes with experience in a way that they could not as a mortal. But a decrepit man who is embraced will initially be decrepit. But likely not for long.

Comment

As far as I'm aware there's nothing in the rules that specifically states that a pre-embrace characters attributes have any effect on their post-embrace attributes. The rules as presented in V20 are for generating a post-embrace vampire character

i.e. The example frail old man could be a strong tough vampire because the magic of the embrace completely changes the way their body works. They would still appear to be a frail old man though, but as we know, how something looks in Vampire is not how it acts.

Thus there is plenty of room to roleplay any such oddities.

As to the Op's question re vampiric exercise - nothing. Twelve hours of exercise isn't enough to improve a characters strength by one dot and vampires get a 'reset' each time they wake preventing any long-term progress by such means. Although that doesn't mean the character in question comprehends that point....

Comment

Originally posted by Dogstar View Post

As to the Op's question re vampiric exercise - nothing. Twelve hours of exercise isn't enough to improve a characters strength by one dot and vampires get a 'reset' each time they wake preventing any long-term progress by such means. Although that doesn't mean the character in question comprehends that point....
            Yeah, I'm aware of that. And it actually correlates to the question on how a vampire can improve their physical abilities, if their body stays locked into the same physical appearance.

I was just curious if exercising for that long was a possibility for them. Since they don't need to breathe or sleep, and I don't think the acids would build up in their system, like they would for a mortal body.

Comment

The excerpts about "vampires have no metabolism, ergo..." that relate to strenuous physical activity are somewhere in the storytelling section, as they relate to endurance-based activities and feats of strength. The gist of it is any such activity -- running a marathon, swimming the English channel, etc. -- incurs no fatigue and the character can perform at their peak throughout. It would be however one hell of a Masquerade breach to sprint for 26 miles straight.

As far as Embracing geriatrics...you come as you are. Exactly as you are. This is why shit like body piercings, tattoos, regrettable hair styles, and hair dyes are such a pain in the ass for vampires; that's to say nothing of being Embraced wounded or maimed.

Comment

As far as I'm aware there's nothing in the rules that specifically states that a pre-embrace characters attributes have any effect on their post-embrace attributes. The rules as presented in V20 are for generating a post-embrace vampire character
                Take a look at page 500, box "I was Embraced Yesterday": "When a ghoul character is Embraced, give them any Attribute and Ability points necessary to raise them to the starting values for vampires" - meaning a ghoul who was created with 6/4/3 could give out one attribute point in their primary category and one in their secondary. The Embrace improves some things, but it doesn't really "remake" the character from a studious bookworm into a weightlifter.

Comment

Originally posted by Theodrim View Post

As far as Embracing geriatrics...you come as you are. Exactly as you are. This is why shit like body piercings, tattoos, regrettable hair styles, and hair dyes are such a pain in the ass for vampires; that's to say nothing of being Embraced wounded or maimed.

Considering some vampires offer the embrace as a way of saving somebody's life during an emergency, I just imagined it as the healing properties of the blood restores the body to working condition during the embrace. For an injury to be permanent, it would have to have been naturally healed prior to the embrace. Such as scar tissue, or medical amputations.

Wouldn't make any sense to embrace somebody who just had their guts blown out with a shot gun, if they're going to be walking around with a 6 inch wide hole in their abdomen for the rest of eternity.

Originally posted by Cifer View Post
                  Take a look at page 500, box "I was Embraced Yesterday": "When a ghoul character is Embraced, give them any Attribute and Ability points necessary to raise them to the starting values for vampires" - meaning a ghoul who was created with 6/4/3 could give out one attribute point in their primary category and one in their secondary. The Embrace improves some things, but it doesn't really "remake" the character from a studious bookworm into a weightlifter.
                  Yep, Requiem does it, too. By giving the clans a favored attribute, which you gain an immediate bonus to after being embraced.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

Wouldn't make any sense to embrace somebody who just had their guts blown out with a shot gun, if they're going to be walking around with a 6 inch wide hole in their abdomen for the rest of eternity.
                    Superficial wounds heal, but it's the truly serious and life-threatening ones that trigger permanent wounds if I remember right. Which are the sorts that apply in these circumstances. The flip side to that is, you have to remember "vampires don't have metabolisms" works both ways. Something like disembowelment is a grave wound unless the victim receives immediate, professional, medical assistance, but for vampires it's just a really gross trip hazard.

Unless you're a 7th generation Tzimisce, but the less said about that the better.

For all it matters to a vampire, just take a moment to stuff everything back in or lop off the offending entrails with a knife, then seal up the hole by spending a little blood or grabbing the staple gun and duct tape.
                    Last edited by Theodrim; 04-22-2019, 12:10 PM.

Comment

I have actually been thinking about how strength and stamina make little sense to grow for vampires. The only thing I can think of is that you do have to take time to break down your internal, self-perceived limits, allowing you to raise those traits eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by Theodrim View Post
                        Superficial wounds heal, but it's the truly serious and life-threatening ones that trigger permanent wounds if I remember right.
                        There are simply no hard-and-fast rules when it comes to the Embrace. The fluff says that it heals wounds and somewhat improves the body, but in the end, it boils down to "the Embrace shapes the vampire into the form that the character creation rules say they've got." If you take the Permanent Wound flaw, your wounds were too great or the healing didn't work right. If you don't take the flaw, you were in luck. If you take Bad Sight, your Embrace didn't correct your vision - otherwise, you get to play the "Peter Parker doesn't need glasses anymore" scene.

Comment

I suppose one way to think about it is that, through prolonged use, the vampire's body acclimates itself to sustaining higher levels of exertion for long periods of time. Giving off the effect of having increased one's Strength, Dexterity and Stamina appropriately, even if it would seem impossible for mortal medicine to explain.

Comment

Originally posted by Cifer View Post
                            This is a bit of rules-lawyering but in that side panel it _doesn't_ state that you have to keep your current attributes or distribution thereof, just that you should give (note the use of give and not add) them the same starting point(s) as a vamp.

Now obviously most games are going to take that as add a few points to the existing stats but there's room to argue that becoming a vampire is a way to have a 're-do'. After all being embraced by a Nosferatu would drop Appearance to zero but it would be a very unfair storyteller who said you had to lose your current Appearance points rather then redistribute them.

Comment

This is a bit of rules-lawyering but in that side panel it _doesn't_ state that you have to keep your current attributes or distribution thereof, just that you should give (note the use of give and not add) them the same starting point(s) as a vamp.

Now obviously most games are going to take that as add a few points to the existing stats but there's room to argue that becoming a vampire is a way to have a 're-do'. After all being embraced by a Nosferatu would drop Appearance to zero but it would be a very unfair storyteller who said you had to lose your current Appearance points rather then redistribute them.
                              "Give" does not mean "redistribute", so yeah, it's more than a bit lawyerly.
                              Additionally, Nosferatu don't really pose a problem there even without twisting words: Your appearance drops to zero, so of course, you can spend a few points on the other two to get up to the priority you chose for social attributes.

Comment

Working...
                              X