No announcement yet.

Vampire Exercise?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All of Cainite physiology is supernaturally driven, with vitae as the fuel and one's Generation the engine. While the mechanical effects of the Embrace raise a mortal to starting Kindred stats, the fluff seems easy enough to explain: the physiological limitations of mortal biology that hold back some things are discarded; think of how your jaw is technically strong enough to easily bite off your finger, but you'll never do it, or how you'll never actually use all of your strength because experience has taught you that the human body just doesn't like how that feels usually. Being somewhat dead removes the hassle of fatigue, but the fact that Kindred aren't entirely numb means that you could eventually expect some sort of exhaustion, or so you'd think.

The supernatural element of Kindred biology explains the ability of elders to manifest superhuman stats even without Disciplines (with their especially potent vitae basically removing more and more of the natural limits), but even fledglings benefit from the removed constraint of human fatigue. That's why even Embracing someone a bit past their prime would still work fine, since the aches and pains of aging would explain the usual drop in function. More advanced aging, such as replaced or missing parts, may be a bit more tricky.

Comment

You still have to roll stamina for strenuous activity, like chasing someone for a long time. Your stamina tells you how long you can do that. You don't get tired because you don't breathe, but your muscles still have a limit just like your strength has a limit. At some point, the muscles give out.

Comment

Originally posted by Knowledgeseeker View Post
        You still have to roll stamina for strenuous activity, like chasing someone for a long time. Your stamina tells you how long you can do that. You don't get tired because you don't breathe, but your muscles still have a limit just like your strength has a limit. At some point, the muscles give out.

Not if you have accelerated regenerative powers, such as those of the vampire. It takes an awful lot of blunt force trauma to render a vampire unconscious, after all.

Edit: also, I doubt the muscles work the same way as a mortal's. Since their organs have atrophied and no longer function unless the vampire actively wills them to do so.
        Last edited by Nyrufa; 05-10-2019, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
          This has me wondering as to what would happen if a vampire attempted to perform some kind of workout routine after waking up for the evening. Would they theoretically be able to exercise for 12 hours straight, without needing to pause and recover their energy?
          While a vampire could work out all night long, and never suffer a buildup of fatigue toxins, his muscle tissues would not 'grow back stronger,' they'd return to exactly factory defaults as he slept overday. (Just as his hair returns to the same length it was at the time of his embrace.)

As I understood it, the strength (and other physical attributes) of a vampire are entirely a function of his blood, not his 'muscles,' and that he'd 'exercise' to increase his strength by spending blood to do so, over and over, night after night, until it 'takes' and permanently increases (which would happen at the exact moment out of game when the player of said vampire spent the required XP to raise his Strength attribute). Same with Dexterity or Stamina. The physical attributes of a dead static vampire's body aren't increased by reflex training or stamina training, but by burning through a lot of blood... (Which can result in tiny waifish vampire elders embraced as children many centuries ago having Strength attributes of six, seven or even eight, while still looking small and weak, and not developing into massive hyperthyroid weightlifters over the centuries as their 'Strength' attribute increases.)

But that was always just an assumption on my part, and I have no idea if it's ever been officially stated one way or another.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian Turner View Post

As I understood it, the strength (and other physical attributes) of a vampire are entirely a function of his blood, not his 'muscles,' and that he'd 'exercise' to increase his strength by spending blood to do so, over and over, night after night, until it 'takes' and permanently increases (which would happen at the exact moment out of game when the player of said vampire spent the required XP to raise his Strength attribute). Same with Dexterity or Stamina. The physical attributes of a dead static vampire's body aren't increased by reflex training or stamina training, but by burning through a lot of blood... (Which can result in tiny waifish vampire elders embraced as children many centuries ago having Strength attributes of six, seven or even eight, while still looking small and weak, and not developing into massive hyperthyroid weightlifters over the centuries as their 'Strength' attribute increases.)
            That's how I imagined it to work, too. As the vampire continuously pushes themselves to a certain limit, their supernatural body acclimates to that limit, to the point where they can perform at that level without expending as much effort.

Comment

Originally posted by EndlessKng View Post
              I have actually been thinking about how strength and stamina make little sense to grow for vampires. The only thing I can think of is that you do have to take time to break down your internal, self-perceived limits, allowing you to raise those traits eventually.
              Is this where we talk about that, before 5th edition, a vampire's -Appearance- stat could somehow...somehow... increase over time? ^__^

Comment

Originally posted by Natsymir View Post

Is this where we talk about that, before 5th edition, a vampire's -Appearance- stat could somehow...somehow... increase over time? ^__^
                Stop slouching, get a better wardrobe, improve your walk, alter the style of your walk, have your hair styled better.

App is probably the easiest stat to improve.

Comment

Originally posted by jamiemalk View Post
                  Stop slouching, get a better wardrobe, improve your walk, alter the style of your walk, have your hair styled better.

App is probably the easiest stat to improve.
                  If Hollywood has taught us one thing, it's that you should really take off those big librarian glasses.

Comment

Originally posted by Cifer View Post
                    If Hollywood has taught us one thing, it's that you should really take off those big librarian glasses.
                    "I want plastic surgery."

"No my padaw- I mean childe, your looks flow from within you. To improve your appearance you must first improve your confidence."

-

On topic I always though of exercise as that it takes after a while, you just need to do it for a long time. Same thing with other things:

You can cut your hair as a vampire, you just need to do it night after night after night until it sticks. To grow it back though you'll have to spam blush of life like crazy.
                    If you cut yourself on your arm (to feel something) it resets after one night. But if you do it every night for weeks on end or more, you might get some scars.
                    Getting a tattoo is a bit of a project (but doable).

If I were to represent it mechanically I'd say give vampires longer training times than mortals for attributes, but I don't think that rule is really needed or adds anything to the game, so I just keep it as a setting thing.

Not sure what the books say, but it makes the best sense to me.
                    Last edited by CoriolisEffect; 05-18-2019, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CoriolisEffect View Post

"I want plastic surgery."

"No my padaw- I mean childe, your looks flow from within you. To improve your appearance you must first improve your confidence."
                      "Is that why the Sith look like walking corpses?"

Comment

Working...
                      X