The Blessing of Vitality

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Blessing of Vitality

I need some opinions on the matter as it's relevant to one of my current chronicles. The book doesn't state any answer, but do you guys think that the Fortitude awarded by this power would continue to bless the cainite even if the cainite who used the power is destroyed?

Originally posted by Herr Meister View Post
    I need some opinions on the matter as it's relevant to one of my current chronicles. The book doesn't state any answer, but do you guys think that the Fortitude awarded by this power would continue to bless the cainite even if the cainite who used the power is destroyed?

I would personally run it as it goes away with its user but that is entirely a personal opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Lian View Post

I would personally run it as it goes away with its user but that is entirely a personal opinion.

Hmm I see, that woud turn out problematic for my player lol. Her mentor is probably going to die soon and she's being hunted by a powerful kindred, so if she doesn't have the protection of this power her life is going to be much more difficult! Thank you for sharing your point of view.

Comment

I would argue it does not, and maintains until such time as the duration passes for two reasons. The first are things like Dominate, Dementation, Thaumaturgy, and Vicissitude existing past the final death of the vampire that created them. The second is that it is a 7 dot elder level Discipline.

Comment

Originally posted by Cynic01 View Post
          I would argue it does not, and maintains until such time as the duration passes for two reasons. The first are things like Dominate, Dementation, Thaumaturgy, and Vicissitude existing past the final death of the vampire that created them. The second is that it is a 7 dot elder level Discipline.

Good point! I also think that in the narrative sense it would be better for the story if the power still worked even after the character's destruction as it would be a reminder of her mentor's blessing.

Comment

Ordinarily I'd actually argue the power being lent can't be lent if the character dies.
            Dominate, Dementation and the like affect a change at that may last for a while, but the power has ended; where the discipline "Lending" powers are an ongoing factor.....

But the wording in the Dark ages book; wow. It's a blessing that grants dots of fortitude, not lends them.... so I'd say it's covered until the power expires.

For Balance betweem PCs however, one player getting up to 7 (or more) free points of disciplines *Indefinitely* when other characters don't could be an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Illithid View Post
              Ordinarily I'd actually argue the power being lent can't be lent if the character dies.
              Dominate, Dementation and the like affect a change at that may last for a while, but the power has ended; where the discipline "Lending" powers are an ongoing factor.....

But the wording in the Dark ages book; wow. It's a blessing that grants dots of fortitude, not lends them.... so I'd say it's covered until the power expires.

For Balance betweem PCs however, one player getting up to 7 (or more) free points of disciplines *Indefinitely* when other characters don't could be an issue.

I don't intend to make it permanent, in any case the group woudn't mind much as they are very mature in this regard and her character is far from being the most powerful in the group anyway. She's also seventh generation so that means she would get "only" 6 I guess (although it's not stated in the book if it's limited by generation etc, but common sense tells me it should...)

Comment

Originally posted by Herr Meister View Post
                I don't intend to make it permanent, in any case the group woudn't mind much as they are very mature in this regard and her character is far from being the most powerful in the group anyway. She's also seventh generation so that means she would get "only" 6 I guess (although it's not stated in the book if it's limited by generation etc, but common sense tells me it should...)
                The Target of the Blessing can go above normal generational limits, it costs 1 Willpower plus 1 blood per level gifted from the elder. It's unlikely that the roll would get 6+ Successes at dif 8 to make it permanent anyway...

I would personally only let them bestow standard Fortitude, not the additional powers (Though the rules don't limit that) and only the levels of regular soak type fortitude that the Elder has.

Comment

Originally posted by Illithid View Post

The Target of the Blessing can go above normal generational limits, it costs 1 Willpower plus 1 blood per level gifted from the elder. It's unlikely that the roll would get 6+ Successes at dif 8 to make it permanent anyway...

I would personally only let them bestow standard Fortitude, not the additional powers (Though the rules don't limit that) and only the levels of regular soak type fortitude that the Elder has.

I agree that it's unlikely to get 6 successes, but not impossible. I didn't know it was stated that it could go beyond generational limits (I'm gonna take a look at the v20 dark ages, just to be sure). And yes, surely it should not grant the additional powers of Fortitude, so I agree with you.

Comment

Oh yes, it can bestow Fortitude beyond the generational limit of the character receiving the "Blessing". Very interesting.

Comment

Working...
                    X