Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Discipline Mechanic? Or Did I Overlook This?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nyrufa
    started a topic New Discipline Mechanic? Or Did I Overlook This?

New Discipline Mechanic? Or Did I Overlook This?

So, I was looking up some wiki information about Masquerade, and I noticed something odd with the description on Disciplines:

Animalism

Obfuscate

Potence

Namely, the part which talks about how long term abuse of Disciplines can impose behavioral changes in Vampires (and presumably Ghouls). I don't recall seeing this mentioned in my V20 book, so I'm not sure if this is something added with 5th edition, or not?

• Nyrufa
    replied
    Alright, thanks for clarifying, everybody. Didn't want to jump to conclusions about this.

Leave a comment:

• Heavy Arms
    replied
    There are older references to the idea, though the noted DA book was the first to really put a mechanical spin on it.

It helps that pre-V20 Potence was automatic and always on. It was more a general consideration of a vampire never being able to turn of 5+ extra successes, never being able to pull a bunch in a fight and knowing they're always putting their Humanity at risk because of how easily they can snap a mortal in half. But it was never - in the earlier books - more than a role-playing suggestion.

Leave a comment:

• Herr Meister
    replied
    Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
    So, I was looking up some wiki information about Masquerade, and I noticed something odd with the description on Disciplines:

Animalism

Obfuscate

Potence

Namely, the part which talks about how long term abuse of Disciplines can impose behavioral changes in Vampires (and presumably Ghouls). I don't recall seeing this mentioned in my V20 book, so I'm not sure if this is something added with 5th edition, or not?

If I'm not mistaken this is taken from Dark Ages Vampire. There they suggested that cainites with high levels of disciplines would find themselves affected by it on a mental level, developing different kinds of derangements for possessing high levels in Disciplines. There was one for each Discipline.

Oh nevermind, Illithid arrived before me and pretty much answered it already.

Leave a comment:

• Illithid
    replied
    The original Dark Ages Vampire book had Discipline derangement for having 6+ in a discipline, and some interesting charts on how likely you were to develop them.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X