VtM 5e Torpor Question.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VtM 5e Torpor Question.

I'm developing a campaign for a group of friends. One of them wants to play a thin blood, that has been in Torpor for some 15 years. having been staked in and around the incidents that led up to the 'Week of Nightmares'. The rest of the PC's will be hired to put down a Wight, and is successful be allowed to take over a piece of her former domain. Within the basement of the wights former haven, will be the last PC to enter place. Tied to a surgical board, and staked through the heart.

I've read the rules on Torpor and recovery, but I'm a little unclear on some of the finer points. The thin blood will have 6 health, but have been dealt 6 points of aggravated damage after having been staked. It states that a vampire that has their stake removed wakes up instantly or that night. But, from what I understand, a vampire who's health tracker is filled with aggravated damage, is put into Torpor anyway.

The book states when a vampire wakes from Torpor, they begin with their hunger at 5, and that they don't really 'wake' until they heal at least 1 point of aggravated damage, which they body attempts to heal naturally each night.

So, if the thin blood is staked when found and previously had a full health tracker full, and the the stake is removed, and they have a hunger of 5. What happens? If they attempt to heal their 1st point of aggravated damage, and they fail one of the 4 rouse the blood checks, that means they fall back into Torpor, correct?

Can a vampire even be given blood while they technically still have a full health tracker full of aggravated damage, to try and give them a better chance to not slip back into Torpor if they fail the first attempt to heal their first point of aggravated damage?

Any help's appreciated, thanks. Sorry if this rambled.

Originally posted by Toreador_Fan_1021 View Post
    The book states when a vampire wakes from Torpor, they begin with their hunger at 5, and that they don't really 'wake' until they heal at least 1 point of aggravated damage, which they body attempts to heal naturally each night.
    Could you quote that passage? Because I haven't found the "not really wake" part when it comes to damage rather than hunger.

The rules are a bit unclear when it comes to rising from torpor while extremely damaged - in theory, they can't awaken from Torpor because they'd be instantly at full aggravated, which is the point where you fall into Torpor. I'd be inclined to ignore that and give them one "virtual" health level upon waking up. That said, they also can't try to heal their damage because you actually cannot voluntarily rouse the blood at Hunger 5.

So what would likely happen is that upon being unstaked, the character senses there's a potential victim nearby (the unstaker) and tries to feed from them, most likely in a frenzy. If they can't gain the blood before their frenzy ends, they slip right back into torpor. If they've managed to quiet at least some hunger, they can then try to drag their broken body to safety and start mending. On the plus side, they can most likely start doing so from Hunger 0 because they've just drained someone dry.

The sensible thing to do is to either feed them a little before unstaking (note that a vampire feeding from their own vein will initiate the start of a blood bond this way) or to provide a victim for the vampire to vent their first hunger frenzy upon. Also note that vampiric blood of higher Blood Potency (so for a Thin-Blood... everyone's) will also immediately rouse them from Torpor, no questions asked.
    Last edited by Cifer; 05-14-2019, 07:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cifer View Post
      Could you quote that passage? Because I haven't found the "not really wake" part when it comes to damage rather than hunger.
      it looks like it's under the Torpor section, on page 223. The second way a vampire can fall into Torpor is having their health tracker full of aggravated damage and then it goes on to describe needing to heal, though it seems to indicate they won't wake until they've healed 'all' damage. I don't know if this superceedes the natural Torpor length.

Comment

Originally posted by Toreador_Fan_1021 View Post
        it looks like it's under the Torpor section, on page 223. The second way a vampire can fall into Torpor is having their health tracker full of aggravated damage and then it goes on to describe needing to heal, though it seems to indicate they won't wake until they've healed 'all' damage. I don't know if this superceedes the natural Torpor length.
        I think the point of those rules is to say that a vampire beaten into torpor will instinctively try to heal those wounds over the next few nights. If they manage to do so before their blood runs out, they awaken. If they get to Hunger 5, the normal Torpor length rules (see page 241) take over and a vampire at Humanity 5 is out of comission for a year. That said, being able to self-resurrect like that on your own is highly unlikely - assuming a health tracker of just four levels, you need to roll sixteen rouse checks (12 for 4*3 Agg mending + 4*1 for nightly "upkeep"). If you were at Hunger 0 before, you'll manage 10 on average before arriving at Hunger 5 and slipping into regular hunger Torpor.
        The most likely scenario for surviving that is having a few coterie mates along who feed you bloodbags.

Comment

Originally posted by Cifer View Post
          I think the point of those rules is to say that a vampire beaten into torpor will instinctively try to heal those wounds over the next few nights. If they manage to do so before their blood runs out, they awaken. If they get to Hunger 5, the normal Torpor length rules (see page 241) take over and a vampire at Humanity 5 is out of comission for a year. That said, being able to self-resurrect like that on your own is highly unlikely - assuming a health tracker of just four levels, you need to roll sixteen rouse checks (12 for 4*3 Agg mending + 4*1 for nightly "upkeep"). If you were at Hunger 0 before, you'll manage 10 on average before arriving at Hunger 5 and slipping into regular hunger Torpor.
          The most likely scenario for surviving that is having a few coterie mates along who feed you bloodbags.
          Thank you. That makes perfect sense and really helps me. Sorry I didn't respond to this sooner. And yes, feeding the PC bloodbags was definitely going to be the coterie's strategy to get this last coterie member up and running again.

Comment

So first things first, thin-bloods aren't paralyzed by being staked. "Impalement with a stake does not paralyze them but instead causes massive physical trauma, likely sending them into torpor." -pg111

So you need to deal with that story wise first.

Vampires enter torpor in three ways: from Hunger, from damage, and voluntarily. Clearly this wasn't voluntary. So we are just dealing with the damage and hunger.

So now the thin-blood is staked and takes enough aggravated damage to send him/her into torpor (if not we need to rewrite this). At this point we are under damage rules. If your thin-blood has a health of 6 then it has to heal all 6 of those health boxes before they can wake. Said vampire makes rouse checks until one of two things happens, they fully heal or they reach hunger 5. If they heal they wake. If they reach 5, then we transfer over to hunger rules "If failed Rouse Checks to mend damage drive them above Hunger 5, they enter torpor as above." In which case they as ST I would put them directly into torpor for a length of time based on their Humanity but they technically can make a rouse check to wake.

Comment

Working...
            X