No announcement yet.

Daimoinon and Dark Thaumaturgy

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would not give Daimoinon through pacts with Demons. Dark Thaumaturgy, sure. Why? Dark Thaumaturgy is basically just like any Blood magic except it has been created by Demons to corrupt it’s user, so it is powered by the infernal and its magical principles are basically Daimoinon on the other hand derives it’s power from the True Names of the Children, those Names corrupted and diluded to obscurity still hold incredible amount of power. That is the power tapped into when using Daimoinon the only cost is that recordings the Names will bring the Children closer to awakening and calling out the root Names behind it all would awaken them, hence the level 9 power. So different source, different mechanics and the two should not be mistaken to be similar. For Daimoinon gives it’s users power over Demons where as Dark Thaumaturgy is derived from Demons and designed to serve their purposes.

Originally posted by Elphilm
    Consequently, I've never seen much point in the Baali and Daimoinon in chronicles where Infernalists and Dark Thaumaturgy exist. The latter do everything the former do, only with more variety and flexibility.
    Funnily enough I have always seen this to be the other way around. The Baali bloodline is more versatile than infernalist as actors in a game, all infernalist are basically well infernalist, there is no versatility there other than the fact that infernalist can come from any bloodline. The Baali on the other hand contain demonologists and infernalists amongst them, although only the foolish Baali well their souls for power that the Names of the Children will allow them to take for themselves. The Demonologist factions on the other hand are divided between those who seek to awaken the Children and those who wish to keep them asleep. And add to this the fact that Baali can come from the children of other bloodlines through the re-embrace and they are quite a bit more versatile than mere run of the mill infernalists.

But in the end I have to admit that despite all this normal infernalist can be used to tell stories Baali may be too big for and Dark Thaumaturgy serves it’s purpose in being an example of the price of selling ones soul.

Every other source aside from Devil’s Due, basically Dark Ages Demon the Fallen, implies that the Children are perhaps the Neverborn of Wraith. Devil’s Due contradicts this with claims that the Children would be Earthbound or Fallen and changes the level 9 power into one that instead of awakening the sleeping Children opens up the gates of Hell releasing all the Fallen from their prison. But DtF has had a bad habit of stealing other lines NPC’s like Charon and Nhudri to name two and claiming Kupala as one of the Earthbound so that is to be expected of a book of the line. Other than that I cannot recommend Devil’s Due enough, an excellent book. It is still notable that even in DD the Baali are clearly put into Demonologist camp with Daimoinon giving them the means to enslave and banish the Fallen. So clearly not a power taught by the Fallen or Demons of anykind as it allows the user power over said beings.

Comment

Originally posted by Possessed View Post
      Every other source aside from Devil’s Due, basically Dark Ages Demon the Fallen, implies that the Children are perhaps the Neverborn of Wraith. Devil’s Due contradicts this with claims that the Children would be Earthbound or Fallen and changes the level 9 power into one that instead of awakening the sleeping Children opens up the gates of Hell releasing all the Fallen from their prison. But DtF has had a bad habit of stealing other lines NPC’s like Charon and Nhudri to name two and claiming Kupala as one of the Earthbound so that is to be expected of a book of the line. Other than that I cannot recommend Devil’s Due enough, an excellent book. It is still notable that even in DD the Baali are clearly put into Demonologist camp with Daimoinon giving them the means to enslave and banish the Fallen. So clearly not a power taught by the Fallen or Demons of anykind as it allows the user power over said beings.
      Mm. Demon took the name Charon, but looking at Houses of the Fallen, it actually suggests Wraith's Charon wasn't Demon's Charon, that they were simply namesakes.

Scion 2E: What We Know - A wiki compiling info on second edition Scion.

Comment

Originally posted by marin View Post

Mm. Demon took the name Charon, but looking at Houses of the Fallen, it actually suggests Wraith's Charon wasn't Demon's Charon, that they were simply namesakes.
        True but still I find it bad form especially since Demon also borroved Nhudri and Charons. if they are meant to be different characters they could just come up with original names, it’s not like there wouldn’t be angelic names up for grabs for an angel of death no need to involve Charon.

But this derails the conversation at hand. Personally I did not like that one thing in DtF at all, the name stealing from other lines that is, even though I quite liked the game itself quite abit as well as Devil’s Due. But this is really a small irritating matter and YMMV on how much it bothers you if at all.

Comment

Working...
        X