Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you like to see Organized Play for V5?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redwulfe
    started a topic Would you like to see Organized Play for V5?

Would you like to see Organized Play for V5?

I have played World of Darkness since I first found it in '91 and the game has dominated my gaming experience for a majority of the years since. I have run many organized games for various companies. I ran games at several conventions as a GM and was the Venue ST for our Camarilla Fan club as well as an ST with OWBN until the game line ended. I have always found myself gravitating to Organized Play due to a lack of being able to play as much as I would like. I like the concept of being able to play a character in games wherever I go as well as traveling to play with different players from different places.

Currently, Mind's eye society organizes LARPS and at one time they had TT venues as well though, to my recollection, they did not organize TT games into true organized play. Mind's Eye Society doesn't seem to fully support V5 as far as I know, probably because a LARP book has not been created for V5, yet.

What I want to see is an Organized Play environment for V5 similar to what Adventure's League, Pathfinder's Society and Shadowrun Missions are for their respective games. Since it seems that there currently isn't an organization for V5 in place that fulfils this style of play I was thinking that a group of people should create one and I am willing to step up and help out with doing so.

Are you a writer, organizer, artist or ST that would like to help create this with me? Do you feel that you are a player would enjoy going to conventions and playing in organized play and would like to give feedback on rules and adventures? Do you think that this is even worth putting together at all?

Personally, I think it is very worthwhile and would like to start organizing so that we could start having adventures by early next year for the 2020 convention season. I will not lie to you it is a lot of work getting an organized play up and running. I, for one, am willing to put in the time and effort. I was just curious if anyone else would like to help or see organized play for V5?

• Redwulfe
    replied
    So the Discord server channel has been set up. If anyone would like to work on this with me please feel free to PM me and I will send you the link for the server. if you are already on the WoD5 server please feel free to message me there. My handle is the same as here. I will also send you the link to the google drive I will be setting up for this as well.

Leave a comment:

• PMárk
    replied
    Originally posted by Redwulfe View Post

There wasn't a TT OP per se but they did allow venues to function within their organization.

As far as not being suitable to WOD I think it will definitely be challenging but I think it is doable. Yes, it is not what the preferred and encouraged playstyle for WOD is but all OP started out that way. I am working on some ideas now to start out with primarily trying to define what the problems we will have ot overcome and getting a design group together. Volunteers at first of course.

As far as the story goes, Shadowrun missions have a pretty good set up that I would like to draw from. They have seasons that have an overarching backstory that moves forward with every episodic adventure. It's not perfect, as you will want to play them in order but it does mean that the story can evolve over time and feels more WOD to me. I was thinking of selecting a city that does not have much WOD information on it or looks like they won't be working on anytime soon and setting the Season there. This means not only would there be adventures ready for the OP but also a small city guide with SPCs as well.

All in all, I am going to move forward with this and even if it doesn't take off at least there will be a set of moduals GMs can use for their homegames as well as another City with a backstory, ready for there use. My next step after I get some people to work with is to set up a server or place that we can start to work on it. Though I am willing to just work on it on my own I can not think of every possible outcome or solution myself and it would be easier if we had a think tank to do so. If I need to I will hire an couple of writers and an editor out of pocket so we can at least get us going. I hope to get volunteers to build something we can all enjoy but we will see were things go.
    I think too, that the SR -style OP would be the most suitable. I just don't know how many WoD players would like to play in that way and how big the pushback would be to that kind of play and bringing in new players through it, due to the aforementioned reasons. Also, I just want to reiterate: some people just hate metaplot, with a fervor and this will naturally mean the game would have a strong metaplot.

Don1t get me wrong, I don't think it's a bad idea and I wouldn't mind either metaplot, or the playstyle, to be honest and I wish you good luck with it!

Leave a comment:

• Redwulfe
    replied
    Originally posted by PMárk View Post
    Was it an organized play model like that back during the old WW heyday for tabletop? I know only about larps and the card game, but not organized, week-to-week tabletop gaming. I'm pretty sure there wasn't a thing like that in Hungary.

I'm not even sure WoD is something particularly suitable for that kind of gaming, since it strongly encourages longer chronicles and plots and deep character playing and organized play seems to me being more focused on episodic, short-adventure style modules and mechanical advancement. I'm not sure how it would be doable with WoD. I think it could be done, with providing metplaot events you could tie the adventures, but lots of people would hate it for the usual reasons they hate metaplot and complaints for "organized play powergaming" and "trenchcoats and katanas" and "D&D with vampires" would surely start. Again, I'm not saying it's not odable and I think a lot of people would enjoy it, but I think the preferred and encouraged playstyle for WoD is just less suited for it. Especially V5.

Though, I could imagine something like that more easily with Werewolf, or Changeling, to be honest, than with Vampire, or Mage.
    There wasn't a TT OP per se but they did allow venues to function within their organization.

As far as not being suitable to WOD I think it will definitely be challenging but I think it is doable. Yes, it is not what the preferred and encouraged playstyle for WOD is but all OP started out that way. I am working on some ideas now to start out with primarily trying to define what the problems we will have ot overcome and getting a design group together. Volunteers at first of course.

As far as the story goes, Shadowrun missions have a pretty good set up that I would like to draw from. They have seasons that have an overarching backstory that moves forward with every episodic adventure. It's not perfect, as you will want to play them in order but it does mean that the story can evolve over time and feels more WOD to me. I was thinking of selecting a city that does not have much WOD information on it or looks like they won't be working on anytime soon and setting the Season there. This means not only would there be adventures ready for the OP but also a small city guide with SPCs as well.

All in all, I am going to move forward with this and even if it doesn't take off at least there will be a set of moduals GMs can use for their homegames as well as another City with a backstory, ready for there use. My next step after I get some people to work with is to set up a server or place that we can start to work on it. Though I am willing to just work on it on my own I can not think of every possible outcome or solution myself and it would be easier if we had a think tank to do so. If I need to I will hire an couple of writers and an editor out of pocket so we can at least get us going. I hope to get volunteers to build something we can all enjoy but we will see were things go.
    Last edited by Redwulfe; 05-24-2019, 06:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• PMárk
    replied
    Was it an organized play model like that back during the old WW heyday for tabletop? I know only about larps and the card game, but not organized, week-to-week tabletop gaming. I'm pretty sure there wasn't a thing like that in Hungary.

I'm not even sure WoD is something particularly suitable for that kind of gaming, since it strongly encourages longer chronicles and plots and deep character playing and organized play seems to me being more focused on episodic, short-adventure style modules and mechanical advancement. I'm not sure how it would be doable with WoD. I think it could be done, with providing metaplot events you could tie the adventures, but lots of people would hate it for the usual reasons they hate metaplot and complaints for "organized play powergaming" and "trenchcoats and katanas" and "D&D with vampires" would surely start. Again, I'm not saying it's not doable and I think a lot of people would enjoy it, but I think the preferred and encouraged playstyle for WoD is just less suited for it. Especially V5.

Though, I could imagine something like that more easily with Werewolf, or Changeling, to be honest, than with Vampire, or Mage.
    Last edited by PMárk; 05-24-2019, 05:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Theodrim
    replied
    Not my bag and I avoid cons like the plague due to shady and exploitative business models, but I don't see what it could hurt.

Leave a comment:

• Redwulfe
    replied
    I am thinking of setting up a discord server or asking the fine folks at WOD5 discord to give us a channel to discuss more details. I will make sure you are in on the discussions. Thanks for your time.

Leave a comment:

• Novagain
    replied
    I already run convention games several times a year, so yeah, I'd be interested in discussing this

Leave a comment:

• Redwulfe
    replied
    That is probably true, but I do feel that you need to start somewhere and that organized play can strongly help a community form and grow. We saw that with Shadowrun way back when organized play started for it.

As an added benefit to players that don't even play in organized events, it also gives them a wealth of modules they can draw from for those nights you didn't have time to prep something.

All in all, since WOD was a very strong game in the past and it just made the ICv2 top 5, I thought this could help with its growth and would be beneficial to many players regardless.

Obviously, these are just my opinions but I am willing to give it a try and see where we could go from there if others wish to join in and help.

Leave a comment:

• CoriolisEffect
    replied
    I'm not sure vtm is still big enough to support something like this.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X