No announcement yet.

Potence, Celerity and Fortitude Powers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potence, Celerity and Fortitude Powers?

Okay, so I've been informed that as of 5th edition, these disciplines seem to have gotten some expanded powers, beyond just being a flat upgrade to your stats. Unfortunately, none of the websites I use for information have updated themselves to represent 5th edition's explanation. So I have no idea what kind of abilities they grant.

Apparently for Potence, you can obtain enough brute strength to rip people apart with your bare hands, or leap Potence x3 meters through the air. And those are both level 1 discipline abilities. Which has me very curious as to what the hell a level 5 ability looks like!

I'm not asking for a mechanical breakdown, as I know that might serve as copyright infringement. But I would appreciate it if somebody here could provide a basic run down on what these disciplines are capable of in 5th edition.

Celerity:
    1. Auto-succeed all balance checks; or, take a minor action every round without penalty, and have defense against firearms
    2. Burn blood to add your Celerity to your Dex temporarily
    3. Move 50 meters as a free action; or, run on any surface (ice, walls, water…) for a single turn
    4. Give two dots of temporary Celerity to anyone who drinks your blood; or, completely negate defense and dodging for a single ranged attack (+Auspex)
    5. Completely negate defense and dodging for a single melee attack; or, retcon the Storyteller's narration of a single turn ("no, actually, I moved out of the way before the bomb went off")
    Fortitude:
    1. Add your Fortitude dots to your health track; or, add your Fortitude to all mental and social resistance rolls
    2. If an attack does superficial (non-agg) damage, subtract your Fortitude before applying it; or, apply Fortitude to animals (+Animalism)
    3. Convert agg equal to your Fortitude into superficial per scene; or, shield your mind so all Auspex use will return "no data"
    4. Give two dots of temporary Fortitude to anyone who drinks your blood
    5. For one scene, outright ignore the first source of damage each turn; or, remove all wound penalties and instead turn wounds into Physical bonuses
    Potence:
    1. Unarmed attacks do agg to humans, and ignore armor equal to your Potence dots; or, jump really high and really far with no roll
    2. Add your Potence to your unarmed damage modifier
    3. Drain a human in a single turn (so Bloodlines-style feeding in combat); or, auto-succeed all climbing checks; or, incite humans or vampires to violence (+Presence)
    4. Give two dots of temporary Potence to anyone who drinks your blood
    5. Punch the ground to cause a shockwave; or, your attacks always do agg damage no matter what (you can rip people apart with your bare hands)

Comment

(Also, every time you buy a dot, you gain one power at that level or lower. So people can have whatever assortment of these they like, not just "one 1, one 2, one 3…".)

Comment

So Fortitude got a little upgrade in being able to ward off mental attacks, as well as physical ones, then?

Also, thanks for the explanations!

Comment

Indeed! Which I'm glad for: Fortitude was always the least "shiny" of the physical disciplines, and now it has some good uses outside of combat. More Ventrue-y applications etc.

(And no problem)

Comment

Originally posted by Draconis View Post
            Indeed! Which I'm glad for: Fortitude was always the least "shiny" of the physical disciplines, and now it has some good uses outside of combat. More Ventrue-y applications etc.

(And no problem)

I admit, I'm a little disappointed there's no Celerity power to carry somebody off at super human speeds. I would have called it Snatch and Run, or something like that.

Comment

(And no problem)

Oh, another question about the nature of disciplines: Can you only gain 5 of their powers in total, or can you keep investing XP into the discipline, until you have all of them?

Comment

You can only gain 5 of their powers in total. I was just discussing earlier today with someone that I'd like to see Elders with BP6+ being able to purchase more powers based on their BP (So BP - 5 = # of extra points you can purchase up to your BP rating). It would mean only Elders could have more than one level 5 power which would be pretty crazy.

"The only consistent wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" ~ Socrates

Comment

Yeah, current books show elders up to the Fourth Generation only having five powers per Discipline. It's unknown if that's a hard rule or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Imthestein View Post
                    You can only gain 5 of their powers in total. I was just discussing earlier today with someone that I'd like to see Elders with BP6+ being able to purchase more powers based on their BP (So BP - 5 = # of extra points you can purchase up to your BP rating). It would mean only Elders could have more than one level 5 power which would be pretty crazy.

Follow up question: How does Blood Sorcery work? Are you limited to just 5 powers for each Path, as well? Or can you still keep buying rituals and spells over time?

Comment

Paths are gone, with their more interesting powers being converted into Rituals. You can only have five main-path Blood Sorcery powers (i.e. powers from the old Path of Blood + Quietus) but can buy any number of rituals at any level.

Comment

Paths are gone, with their more interesting powers being converted into Rituals. You can only have five main-path Blood Sorcery powers (i.e. powers from the old Path of Blood + Quietus) but can buy any number of rituals at any level.

Ehhh... not really... sure how to feel about that.

Banu Haqim, maybe, but I highly doubt the Tremere (perfectionists that they are), would have stopped at just blood manipulation.

Comment

Yeah, current books show elders up to the Fourth Generation only having five powers per Discipline. It's unknown if that's a hard rule or not.

That's a hard rule according to Matthew Dawkins; Elders won't have traits above five because of how it skews the dice math, and most level 5 powers now are what were elder powers then.

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
                          Ehhh... not really... sure how to feel about that.

Banu Haqim, maybe, but I highly doubt the Tremere (perfectionists that they are), would have stopped at just blood manipulation.

There's also fluff (as has been stated in the other hundred threads asking about Tremere and bitching about missing paths) that talks about their magic changing in the wake of the bombing of the Prime Chantry, so it's not just 'lol they gone'.

Comment

Originally posted by elmerg View Post
                            There's also fluff (as has been stated in the other hundred threads asking about Tremere and bitching about missing paths) that talks about their magic changing in the wake of the bombing of the Prime Chantry, so it's not just 'lol they gone'.
                            That makes absolutely no sense. Their magic was always grounded in the hard sciences, not the chaotic fickleness that other magic styles are prone to. It's reliability was the entire reason they developed Thaumaturgy to begin with!

Comment

Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

That makes absolutely no sense. Their magic was always grounded in the hard sciences, not the chaotic fickleness that other magic styles are prone to. It's reliability was the entire reason they developed Thaumaturgy to begin with!

Just because they build science into it doesn't make it any less 'blood doing magic stuff' than any other Discipline. Their progenitor seems to have gotten blowed up, and therefor their blood changed, and it seems some of their magic stopped working because of that.

Comment

Working...
                              X