New V5 Setite Clan Symbol?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imthestein
    started a topic New V5 Setite Clan Symbol?

New V5 Setite Clan Symbol?

When the new V5 books were coming out I was curious if any of the Clan Symbols had been updated. I noticed they never showed the Setite Ministry one but when the recent update to the book happened I decided to take another look and now there's a symbol that wasn't there before. Is this the new Setite Clan Symbol? Can anyone confirm?

Note: For some reason I can't upload the image here so unfortunately people will have to look for themselves. It's on the second picture with the woman folding her arms in the Setite Ministry section.

• The Gentleman Gamer
    replied
    Originally posted by Draconis View Post

Ministry is the clan as a whole; Church of Set is the faction that still worships Set

Bingo.

There are undoubtedly a lot of Ministers who do worship Set, but the "orthodoxy" are the separate Church of Set, detailed in Cults of the Blood Gods.

Leave a comment:

• Draconis
    replied
    Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post
    I thought the Ministry was the Church of Set, just going by a different name, so people didn't immediately associate them with the God of Chaos, Disease and Storms?
    Ministry is the clan as a whole; Church of Set is the faction that still worships Set

Leave a comment:

• Elphilm
    replied
    Originally posted by PMárk View Post
    Aside from that, I didn't even get the reason behind changing these things, that were the same for 25 years and got to be iconic and brandished on every book, merchandise, tattoos even.
    Agreed. The seven original clans in particular had absolutely iconic symbols, and there was zero need to revamp them. Apart from the obvious need for the new White Wolf to put their own stamp on the art for the game.

Leave a comment:

• elmerg
    replied
    Originally posted by Nyrufa View Post

I thought the Ministry was the Church of Set, just going by a different name, so people didn't immediately associate them with the God of Chaos, Disease and Storms?
    No, the Ministry is the rebranded Setite Clan. The Church of Set is related, but is not the same thing.

Leave a comment:

• PMárk
    replied
    Originally posted by Gangrel44 View Post
    You're kidding, right?
    I don't think there's a new clan symbol I really like, in comparison to the old ones. Maybe the gangrel one is a bit better, more savage, but it reminds me of Will-E-Coyotee on a bad hair day somehow.

Same goes for the VtM ankh and the sect symbols too. I just liked the old designs for those more, as they were more lean, more, I dunno, spiky, more "gothic" and in general had more details. These new clan and sect symbols are mostly the victims of attempts on "stremalining" (I'm really sick of that word sometimes) and "modernization" where it wasn't needed, really, in my oppinion and it just made them simpler and for me, more bland, more boring. Just to be clear, I didn't like the 2e VtR symbols over their 1e version either, for the same reason.

Aside from that, I didn't even get the reason behind changing these things, that were the same for 25 years and got to be iconic and brandished on every book, merchandise, tattoos even. Okay, to be honest, I think I get the thought behind it, I just disagree with the decision.
    Last edited by PMárk; 05-23-2019, 01:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Nyrufa
    replied
    Originally posted by The Gentleman Gamer View Post
    That's the Ministry symbol. Not necessarily the Church of Set's symbol.

Leave a comment:

• Possessed
    replied
    It is also the same symbol as Armageddon rpgs Mark of Leviathan. So it isn’t that original as a symbol for Evil cult.

Armageddon found here:
    https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product...erm=Armageddon

Leave a comment:

• The Gentleman Gamer
    replied
    That's the Ministry symbol. Not necessarily the Church of Set's symbol.

Leave a comment:

• elmerg
    replied
    Originally posted by Gangrel44 View Post
    You're kidding, right?
    Nope, I'm not kidding. But as others have said, there are other interpretations for it. Plus, in V5, the Ministry has attempted to 'rebrand' away from the 'hey guys everyone knows we're corrupter cultists!' angle of how they were presented. Having a new symbol that is more subtly egyptian makes much more sense.

Leave a comment:

• Imthestein
    replied
    I would presume so. I got the sense from the write-up they were trying to not be JUST Egyptian but to allow for diversity of interpretations of Set

Leave a comment:

• Gangrel44
    replied
    What about the retro Set's head? Is that officially kiboshed?

Leave a comment:

• Draconis
    replied
    It's also based on the astronomical/astrological symbol for Typhon (the scattered disk object):

That symbol in turn comes from the old meterorological shorthand for "hurricane", since hurricanes were associated with Typhon.

Leave a comment:

• Nyrufa
    replied
    Originally posted by elmerg View Post
    Per the most recent Anarch book update, the official Ministry symbol is:

As soon as I looked at that, I immediately thought of Xatu...

Leave a comment:

• Imthestein
    replied
    I wasn't sure how I felt about it at first, but then as I looked at it I realized it was kind of a mix of two serpents intertwined making up an eye which reminds me of the eye of horus

Leave a comment:

Working...
X