Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V5 question: Blood Sorcery, paths, and 1 power per dot

Hey there.

I'm looking ahead to some possible issues when converting characters from V20 to V5. How are you guys handling Tremere, Tzimisce, Banu Haqim and others that my have multiple paths of various Blood Sorceries.

One idea I have is that you break it down, and do Blood Sorcery: Path of blood and it has a rating 1-5 with the different options, then you get your second path which would have different powers for each level.

Another idea I had was for a 5 point Merit, something along the lines of Second Discipline. This can be applied to any discipline, and allows you to have a second track within that discipline, which is purchased at a reduced rate (the normal multiplier -1, so x4 for in clan x6 for out of clan, x5 for Caitiff). I can see this way being used for a vampire that wants Protean and Serpentis as separate powers, or perhaps for Oblivion to give them separate Obtenebration and Necromancy powers. Doing the merit way ends up with the same EXP cost as if buying two separate Disciplines.

Has anyone else worked on this idea?

• Sharei
    replied
    Take this:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...it?usp=sharing

Rituals are considered Rituals of Blood Sorcery.

The ones not listed as rituals, count as a separate discipline, your choice if you want them as in-clan or out-clan.
    Last edited by Sharei; 05-22-2019, 04:23 PM.

Leave a comment:

• SarcasticJazzHands
    replied
    Originally posted by Cifer View Post
    Sadly enough, my advice here would be "don't". There are few rpgs where it's really useful to convert characters from one edition to the next and V5 is not among them. You'll always notice that some stuff doesn't fit. It's usually best to just create fresh characters and start a new chronicle.
    The game in question has been a historical city chronicle, the coterie was embraced around the civil war and currently we are in 1965. The game will be run till 1999, when a mini Gehenna will occur, which will introduce the systematic and thematical changes represented in V5 (the changes to Hunger, the Second Inquisition).

I am not converting actual player characters, but am just thinking ahead on it for the background NPCs. I looked at the Chicago by Night manuscript to see how elder Tremere are handled there in terms of powers. Unfortunately it is not currently very helpful, as some 7th generation Tremere are listed as having Blood Sorcery 5, but not breakdown as to which powers they know. I guess that is to leave it up to the ST as to what would work for their current needs.

I do like the idea of having rituals for Blood Sorcery that modify how a power would specifically work during that day, and may play around with something like that.

Leave a comment:

• Cifer
    replied
    Originally posted by SarcasticJazzHands View Post
    I'm looking ahead to some possible issues when converting characters from V20 to V5.
    Sadly enough, my advice here would be "don't". There are few rpgs where it's really useful to convert characters from one edition to the next and V5 is not among them. You'll always notice that some stuff doesn't fit. It's usually best to just create fresh characters and start a new chronicle.

Leave a comment:

• elmerg
    replied
    The intent of the system is to have characters make meaningful choices, and to allow to characters from the same clan or that share a Discipline not have to share the same powers and step on each others' toes. Allowing a character to just buy a second track of a Discipline removes that necessity of choice.

As far as Blood Sorcery, a lot of different people doing homebrew are doing it different ways:
    * One homebrew guy is doing just multiple other Paths as separate Disciplines that can then be purchased at the normal Discipline rating.
    * One homebrew guy is doing the above, but adding prerequisites for skills and other Path totals.
    * One hombrew is making various path powers into Rituals that can be cast that grant a certain number/timeframe of uses of that power (so a ritual for Movement of the Mind which gives scene-long telekinesis use, or a ritual for Lure of Flames which allows them to conjure so many flame bolts or whatever)
    * One homebrew is making various path powers into Rituals that can be cast that alter the utility of Path of Blood. For example, a ritual that converts the blood spit attack power into flames or lightning.

You have a lot of options and ways to do it.

Personally, I haven't even bothered worrying about players needing extra Paths, though my own homebrew for that is 'rituals as condensed path powers' if I ever get to the point where I want to allow my PCs to do that. I don't have a Tremere player (nor any players playing clans that don't have a full V5 writeup), so it's a non-issue for me.

There's a few that have been posted on the V5 homebrew wiki (https://www.v5homebrew.com/wiki/Main_Page) already, and more are being added.

I think you should do what works for your game, but also try to remember V5's design space; some things you get out of Paths go directly against a fair bit of that simplification, like the ease of getting something that does Aggravated damage from Lure of the Flames, for example.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X