Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

V5 Question: How are Compel (Dom1) and Mesmerize (Dom2) practically different?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V5 Question: How are Compel (Dom1) and Mesmerize (Dom2) practically different?

I mean to say other than the obvious differences:
    •Compel is Free, Mes requires a Rouse Check
    •Rolls required are different
    •Etc.

My confusion is, how exactly do they work differently? The limitations on Mesmerize, as detailed in the power description itself, basically reads to me like, "You can do a Compel with a longer sentence," which isn't exactly an upgrade considering they're both still limited to one scene and the "better" version comes with a rouse check. You won't be carrying out any long-term plots with a Mesmerized target since once the scene ends the power wears off, and doesn't the inability to carry out conditional actions make it just like Compel?

tl;dr - What can Mesmerize do that you can't do cheaper, and earlier, with Compel?

Compel doesn't work for a scene, it works for a single turn (the Duration description is presumably in error). It needs to be a very quick command - "drop the gun" works, "Take the gun, walk over to the library and shoot Colonel Mustard" doesn't.
    That being said, Mesmerize has the disadvantage that it requires "relative quiet" and your subject's attention. Using it in combat is presumably impossible.

Comment

Good point! I guess I managed to gloss over that sentence and just went with the bullet point at the bottom. Too bad that mistake made it through to the errata'd core book. :/

Comment

Originally posted by Cifer View Post
        Compel doesn't work for a scene, it works for a single turn (the Duration description is presumably in error). It needs to be a very quick command - "drop the gun" works, "Take the gun, walk over to the library and shoot Colonel Mustard" doesn't.
        That being said, Mesmerize has the disadvantage that it requires "relative quiet" and your subject's attention. Using it in combat is presumably impossible.
        So the mastermind behind all killings Clue is actually a Kindred with Mesmerize...

Comment

Working...
        X