Why be a vampire?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why be a vampire?

If given the choice, why be a vampire? What would mainly motive you? Immortality? Power? What would dissuade you? I life in the dark?

Personally, immortality.

Comment

Eternal youth, supernatural powers, but most importantly of all:

Tearing off the shackles of mundanity and opening the curtain to a whole new world of magic.

I've already said in a previous topic that the only game in the WoD series that makes me feel genuine fear is Changeling: the Dreaming. The world which the Technocracy is trying to build is worse than Hell to someone like me. And if I had the opportunity to escape that world, I would seize it without a second thought.

A world of magic is a world of monsters? Preying upon humanity like cattle, and using them as pawns in their grand schemes?

I could not care less! To me, magic is true freedom, it is the only form of freedom. With magic, you can circumvent God's plan and impose your own will upon the world. God decides to ruin your life, like he did with Job? Tell God to eat a dick, and take back what was wrongfully stolen from you! And even if Vampires can't work True Magic, like a Mage can, I presume that they can still learn Hedge Magic, if Blood Sorcery is anything to go by.

Comment

Originally posted by Houston810 View Post
        If given the choice, why be a vampire? What would mainly motive you? Immortality? Power? What would dissuade you? I life in the dark?
        *takes a deep breath*
        *Animaniacs song*
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pOFKmk7ytU

Immortality, invulnerability, Ventrue wealth it's true
        Toreador beauty, Tremere blood-control, Nosferatu animalism phew
        Gangrel shape-shifting, Tzimisce flesh-fixing, Lasombra shadow control too

Blood tastes like heroin, sex is in the biting, magical mind-control woo!
        With Potence you can throw cars, Celerity makes you run fast, you don't have to go to the loo
        Fortitude will keep you alive, Dominate your own wife, and Obfuscate is awesome to do

Join the Camarilla get lots of cash, join the Anarchs for a fun bash, even the Sabbat isn't all flash
        Be a Thin Blood gets some sunlight, try to be Caitiff for a real fight, even a ghoul if you have to
        Black Hand is real great, join the Inconnu to stay safe, and the Giovanni if you want to fuck fate

BE A VAMPIRE YOU!
        Last edited by CTPhipps; 05-24-2019, 03:47 AM.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Given a choice between being a vampire and being anything else... sans wraiths... anything else.. given a choice between being a mortal and being a vampire.. well that's a different story.

Comment

Not sure I would, actually. Not until I was in my 60s or 70s at least. Kids, you know?

Comment

Why I would - General health worries disappear, the correct diet becomes infinitely simpler, and the powers/Immortality would be awesome
              The downside/delay - getting regular income on nights only can be a pain unless you can monetize your new Vampiric Powers. Watching my Son grow up from nights only would suck, mostly he's asleep when the sun's down

Comment

Originally posted by Legendre View Post
                Not sure I would, actually. Not until I was in my 60s or 70s at least. Kids, you know?
                I dunno if they taste any better at that age.

Author of Cthulhu Armageddon, I was a Teenage Weredeer, Straight Outta Fangton, Lucifer's Star, and the Supervillainy Saga.

Comment

Eternal youth and health, only reason I would need. I would probably not deal with too many other vampires if I could help it. Just sort of carve out my own little space and enjoy.

Comment

Immortality, supernatural strength, speed, and endurance would be very nice. But what would be most enticing to me would be the ability to shape shift. To be able to take wing as a bat and to be able to fly would be quite a kick for me.

Comment

So I can be evil. Evil. Pronounce it like a three syllable word.

Comment

On the upsides: CTPhipps say:

Immortality, invulnerability, Ventrue wealth it's true
                        Toreador beauty, Tremere blood-control, Nosferatu animalism phew
                        Gangrel shape-shifting, Tzimisce flesh-fixing, Lasombra shadow control too

Blood tastes like heroin, sex is in the biting, magical mind-control woo!
                        With Potence you can throw cars, Celerity makes you run fast, you don't have to go to the loo
                        Fortitude will keep you alive, Dominate your own wife, and Obfuscate is awesome to do

Join the Camarilla get lots of cash, join the Anarchs for a fun bash, even the Sabbat isn't all flash
                        Be a Thin Blood gets some sunlight, try to be Caitiff for a real fight, even a ghoul if you have to
                        Black Hand is real great, join the Inconnu to stay safe, and the Giovanni if you want to fuck fate
                        All in all it's a prety sweet deal. Talk about being Cursed with Awesome (then again, the founders had to work their elbow to make sure their curse became a blessing)

On the downside:

*Always Hungry unless u kill people.
                        *The Beast makes a mess of your life. You need to be constantly suppressing yourself, and even then it will come out at a bad moment eventually and ruin your life
                        *Being the permanent subordinate of - capital E - Evil bastards (and yes, I know there's the Anarchy. Say hy to the Baron). Solved by going Autarkis, but that takes down half the advantages (all the social ones), it's almost better to tolerate your Sire and get sure you're the least expendable you can be
                        *Being always paranoid about the Inquisition (and many others) hunting you

But the upsides are still there and are many for one that can adjust to the big shift. All in all it ain't that bad

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpy RPG Reviews View Post
                          So I can be evil. Evil. Pronounce it like a three syllable word.
                          As thousands - millions, really - of people, past and present, have demonstrated, you can be alive and be phenomenally Evil.

Indeed, being a vampire sort of gets in the way of Evil, what with the Beast threatening to swallow you whole. At least when you're on the Path of Humanity.

Comment

Are talking about classiv VtM vampires, or V5 vampires?

In classic VtM, the downsides are more manageable and then, yeah, immortality, and transcending the human condition. Also not needing to worry about boring mundane everyday stuff, infinite time to learn, travel, experience the world, etc.

In the end, I'm not ashamed to admit, that I wouldn't want to grow old, shriweled, creaky, aching, weak and sick and we don't know what's on the other side of the final door. So yeah, as I've said in another topic recently: it has its downsides, sure, but beats the hell out of aging and dying and I don't think I'd ever get bored, there's so much out there.

To reflect on another idea from said topic: in a way, the ideas behind vampirisim and why one would choose it are not so different from the ideas behind transhumanity in general.

If we're talking abut V5 vampires, on the other hand... I'm not so sure. Still tempting and I might still choose it, over the entropy of my mind felsh and mind, but I'd be a bit less enthusiastic about being that kind of a miserable junkie eternally.

If nothing worked, then let's think!

Comment

Originally posted by PMárk View Post

If we're talking abut V5 vampires, on the other hand... I'm not so sure. Still tempting and I might still choose it, over the entropy of my mind felsh and mind, but I'd be a bit less enthusiastic about being that kind of a miserable junkie eternally.
                              This may not be true for all the clans, but I like to imagine that Compulsions also give V5 vampires a driving focus behind their undead existence. The Ventrue's need to climb the ranks, the Nosferatu's need for uncovering secrets, the Banu Haqim's need to punish the guilty, the Tremere's need for perfection, the Brujah's need to challenge society...

Comment

Working...
                              X