Blood Potency in V20

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blood Potency in V20

I'm sure this has been done before but i wanted to share my house rules and get some feedback.

Blood Potency
    Blood Potency is a Trait ranging from 1-10
    Blood Potency determines max trait rating, max bloodpool and blood expenditure per turn.
    Blood Potency also determines what sources you can use for blood (Animal, Human, Vampire).

Blood Potency
    Trait Maximum
    Max Vitae/Vitae per turn
    Blood Source
    Die Bonus to Disciplines
    10/1
    Animal/Human/Vampire
    11/1
    Animal/Human/Vampire
    12/1
    Animal/Human/Vampire
    13/2
    Animal/Human/Vampire
    14/2
    Human/Vampire
    15/3
    Human/Vampire
    20/4
    Human/Vampire
    30/6
    Human/Vampire
    40/8
    Vampire
    50/10
    Vampire

Each new vampire starts with a Blood Potency of 1 (you can increase it with Merits).

Blood Potency can be raised with XP (CR*8) and is raised naturally with +1 dot for every other century of unlife (+1 dot per 200 years).

Torpor will decrease Blood Potency by 1 for every 400 years in Torpor.

Diablerie can increase Blood Potency if the victim have a higher Blood Potency than the character. The new rating gained is determined by the following formula. Take the victim's Blood Potency (a) minus the Aggressors current Blood Potency (b) and divide the result by 2 (rounded down, to a minimum of 1), Or for short (a-b)/2.

If the character and the victim is of the same Blood Potency, or if the victim is of a lower Blood Potency, there is no gain in Blood Potency for the character

Example: Marc diablerized Adam. Marc has a Blood Potency of 2 and Adam has a Blood Potency of 5. Marc increases his Blood Potency rating with 1 (5 minus 2, divided by 2 (rounded down) which equals 1) to the new rating of 3.

Blood Potency and Disciplines:
    Blood Potency adds dice equal to it’s rating for the purposes of using or defending against Dominate, Dementation and Presence, and certain applications of Animalism (where the power is used to manipulate the Beast of another Vampire, for example Quell the Beast). Other Discipline powers may be applicable at the storytellers discretion.

You cannot use Dominate on a Vampire with higher rating in Blood Potency than you have.
    A character adds their BP rating as bonus dice when using Dominate on a Vampire with lower Blood Potency and when defending against being Dominated by another vampire (a vampire with Blood Potency 3 trying to use Dominate on a vampire with Blood Potency 1 would have an effective +2 dice bonus). Humans/Ghouls have, in this regard, an effective Blood Potency of 0.

A character adds their BP rating as bonus dice when using Presence on a Vampire and when defending against Presence being used on them by another vampire (a vampire with Blood Potency 3 trying to use Presence on a vampire with Blood Potency 1 would have an effective +2 dice bonus). Humans/Ghouls have, in this regard, an effective Blood Potency of 0.

Related Merits and Flaws:
    Note: Storytellers can of course limit the amount of points available in these Merit and Flaws, or disallow them entirely, as it suits their game.

Generation (1-5 pt Merit)
    You come from a lineage whose blood runs thicker than most vampires. For each point taken, your Blood Potency is increased by one. If you happen to go into Torpor, your Blood Potency will never fall below the Blood Potency rating given by your Generation. So if you take 2 dots in Generation your starting Blood Potency is 3 and Torpor can never decrease it lower than that.

Elder Generation (2 or 4 pt Merit, prerequisite: Generation 5)
    Your Blood blood runs even thicker still. This Merit is same as the Generation Merit in addition to the following benefits. If you take the 2 point version you start with a Blood Potency of 7 which can never be decreased below that rating by Torpor. The 4 point version starts you at Blood Potency 8.

Methuselah Generation (6 or 8 pt Merit, prerequisite: Generation 5, Elder Generation 4pts)
    Your Blood blood runs even thicker still. Each level in this merit increases your Blood Potency even further (6pts=BP 9, 8pts=BP 10).

Thin Blood (2, 4 or 6pt Flaw)
    Your Blood is unnaturally thin. For game mechanic purposes you have a negative Blood Potency rating. Consult the table below. Every other point taken gives you a reduction in Blood Potency. Taking this Flaw also means that all your costs for blood expenditure are doubled.

Blood Potency
    Trait Maximum
    Max Vitae/Vitae per turn
    Blood Source
    Bonus Points
    9/1
    Animal/Human/Vampire
    8/1
    Animal/Human/Vampire
    7/1
    Animal/Human/Vampire

Quick Grower (4pt Merit)
    Your blood matures faster than other Vampires. The cost for increasing Blood Potency is CR*7 and its natural increase rate is halved (+1 Blood Potency every 100 Years).

SlowGrower (4 pt Flaw)
    Your blood does not mature as quickly as other Vampires. The cost for increasing Blood Potency is CR*9 and its natural increase rate is doubled (+1 Blood Potency every 400 Years).

Impressive Bloodline (1-5 pt Merit, prerequisite: Generation 1-5)
    Each point taken in this Merit gives you a bonus die to any social roll involving other vampires that know of your heritage and lineage. In situations where you are engaged in a social challenge but you normally would not get to do an opposed roll, this Merit grants you a passive +1 difficulty to their roll for each point taken.
    You cannot take more points in this Merit than you have in the Generation Merit.

Fledglings Blessing (1-3 pt Merit)
    Your hunger for thicker blood as you age is somewhat lessened compared to other Vampires with the same Blood Potency. Each point taken in this Merit allows you to gain nourishment from blood as if you were one point lower on the Blood Point table.
    For Example, a character with Blood Potency 6 and 2 points in this Merit can still gain nourishment from animals (as if he had a Blood Potency of 4).

Methuselahs Thirst (1-3 pt Flaw)
    This Flaw acts as a reversed version of the Fledglings Blessing Merit. Each point taken in this Flaw allows you to gain nourishment from blood as if you were one point higher on the Blood Point table. For example, a character with Blood Potency 6 and 3 points in this Flaw can only gain nourishment from Vampires (as if he had a Blood Potency rating of 9).

English is not my native language, so i apologize for errors in grammar or spelling.

I love the Merits and Flaws

I also like seeing blood potency getting some love becuase honestly it is a way better concept than generations as is pure logic that old vampire get more powerful with age + their children are stronger becuase the blood that animates them is older.It also allows to make vampire origins blurry with is fun and you can still mentions caine as one posible origin + have the sabbat acting as the church of caine.

I would improve things by expanding the clash of wills mechanics to all powers becuase that opens the door to workable crossovers , i would also allow diablerie to give you directly the BP of the victim as the problem of going against a more older vampire should be the risk of possesion but that is my personal taste and also becuase with blood bonds you can force the defeted elder to embrace to circurvent the mechanic.

To contribute this is what I have been doing to my players during various sessions and things seem to work
    Blood Potency
    Traits Cap
    Max Vitae / Vitae X Turn
    Regeneration/Physical Augment
    0 5 5/1 1 Thin Blood
    Animals up to 5/Humans/vitae
    1 5 10/1 1 -
    2 5 10/1 1 50
    3 5 10/2 2 100
    Humans/Vitae
    4 5 10/2 2 200
    5 5 10/3 3 300
    6 6 12/3 3 500
    Humans Up to 10 unless you kill them/Vitae
    7 7 15/4 4 1000
    8 8 20/4 4 1500
    9 9 30/5 5 2000+
    Vitae
    10 10 50/5 5 3000+
    Note 1:Now to keep the feeling of generations what i do is that at embrace time the sire can choose spend 10XP to create a normal childe with blood potency 1 or spend 20XP and create one with their blood potency -2 called Pure Blood.There are other homebrews out there that operate with the spenditure being of Humanity or Willpower but i considerate that too expensive becuase the cost to recover such stats with XP even at medium levels is huge so embrancing is discouraged.
    Note 2:The Regeneration converts letal damage equal to half blood potency in contundent and contundent into nothing at the cost of 1BP x Turn.Physical buff is less effective but more persistent as it last for a scene.
    Last edited by Leandro16; 05-29-2019, 10:19 AM.

Hunger pool

Comment

I like to mix Generation and Blood Potency as a house rule personally. I make Generation the cap for Attributes and Disciplines but Blood Potency the factor for how much blood you can hold and how many blood points per turn that you can spend.

Comment

Working...
      X